“Hotel 81 vs Fragrance Hotel. Winner is: Any - Take Your Pick” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel 81 Lucky
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   23 Lorong 20 | Geylang, 398741, Singapore   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Geylang B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Hotel 81 vs Fragrance Hotel. Winner is: Any - Take Your Pick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Can't tell much of a difference between these 2 chains. Hotel 81 is very similar and I cannot say much since I only stayed a night - actually only 10 hrs due to late checkin because of a delayed flight and early next day departure. Rooms are clean, aircon works (which is a must since it is so hot and humid over there day and night). On the other hand, the blankets are terrible and the bed and pillows quite stiff. Then again, you pay for what you get and it is cheap in comparison with other hotels in Singapore. Overall, good quality and reasonable price for a two star hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow and blanket or better yet, use your clothes as a pillow and cover
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hotel 81 Lucky is located in a red light district. So expect to see a lot of prostitutes within the area. But the hotel itself is clean and comfortable. it provides you with a good night's sleep and a toilet and bath to meet your needs. Free Internet. Friendly staff. The neighborhood itself is peppered with convenience stores and local restaurants/hawker's center that will satisfy your cravings for authentic Singaporean cuisine at a fraction of the usual price. Bus stop and MRT station is within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

If this hotel was anywhere else in the World I'd have said it was extortionately expensive; however this is Singapore and this is one of the cheaper options. The area the hotel is in isn't the nicest, but it is very close to the metro (5 minute walk) and only a few stops from everything you'll want to do.

The hotel smells a little of cigarette smoke, but the rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. It's also quite at night. The bathroom wasn't amazing as it was a wet room, but this is common in most places I've been to. Perfectly decent place to stay and what you lose on location you'll make back in cost, quality of sleep and ability to get anywhere easily.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My best friend and I went on a short trip to Singapore. We had many things on our itinerary, so we thought we should just book any hotel within walking distance from an MRT station. We are aware that Geylang is a red light district, but we didn't mind because we thought we wouldn't be spending a lot of time there anyway. So we booked this hotel online. After our arrival in Changi, we took the MRT from the airport to the hotel. We spent almost an hour trying to find the hotel because we took the wrong turn from the Kallang Station. When we arrived at the hotel, the welcome was really cold and unpleasant. It didn't feel like they appreciate their customers at all. We booked a room with double bed, but we were given one with a Queen size bed instead. Luckily we are quite petite and we didn't have problem sharing a bed. I tried to ask them for the type of room we booked, but the person I talked to seemed truly annoyed by the request and answered me in a very rude way which reminded me of the scene in Oliver! when Oliver asked for more food. I tried to just let it go and went with my friend to Sentosa Resort World, where we did get so much fun and met so many lovely and friendly Singaporeans. But once we returned to the hotel, it was again, awful. My friend is a Muslim, and she wanted to know the direction of the Qibla in our room because she needed to pray. Once again, we received such a very rude response from the hotel employee. It was a different person, but shockingly just as awful as the one before. But the problem didn't stop there. When we started using our own devices to connect to the hotel's free wifi, we found out that we needed two different passwords. Oh, note that when we arrived, I had to ask them to give me a password for the free wifi, and of course they gave it to me reluctantly and in such amazingly bad manners. So yeah, I wasn't happy with the thought of having to go all the way to the front desk and ask for another password. But I was lucky. This time the employee wasn't rude or anything. He was very busy with his phone and he didn't bother. When I said, "Can I have the password for the internet?", he didn't even say a word. He simply pointed to a bowl full of small pieces or paper with the passwords on it. When I said "thank you" he just nodded and waved his hand. Suddenly, it felt like Oliver! all over again.
When we finally checked out, we handed them the key and waited for at least a proper farewell, such as "thank you for staying in our hotel", but nope, that just didn't happen. They totally ignored us. So we just left.
So if you don't mind bad manners, this hotel is okay for its price range. Not so bad at all. But if you're like me and you expect certain level of hospitality, this is absolutely NOT the place to stay.
TIPS for the ladies: bear in mind that this hotel is located in a red light district, so there might be whistles and people staring at you, or if it's really late, they might even try to hit on you. Ignoring them is the best way to go. The place is relatively safe, but I still wouldn't recommend staying in this area if you're traveling solo. Search other areas such as Little India or Bugis for other budget hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Geylang hotels

Sendai-shi, Miyagi, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked this hotel for myself and two other friends without realizing that it was in a red light district (it was also the only hotel not fully booked on their website at the time). While on our way from the airport the taxi driver proceeded to warn us about the area so we could be prepared. When we arrived the reception was very dismal, not very friendly or welcoming. We arrived pretty early so we were allowed to leave our baggage. The first thing that struck me was there was no where in the lobby for guests to sit down, no chairs nothing. Secondly after a long train ride from Malaysia we wanted to freshen up so we asked for a bathroom.. We were led into a dingy gross bathroom/storage area that looked as if it wasn't cleaned in ages.

When we finally checked in we realized that the room was near an elevator (after explicitly requesting a room away from one). The corridors were filled with cigarette smoke and the rooms were even worse. U'd think that they'd at least try to air out the room before handing it over to guests. Men and their prostitutes roamed the hallways and the elevators, it was just absolutely disgusting. We then realized that our room door had issues closing so they moved us to a different room.

After one night we had enough, we left and found another branch (same hotel) in a more decent part of town. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless ur planning to get ur kicks on for a few hours because clearly that`s it's main purpose.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My partner and I often go to hotels to have a quality marital time away from kids. When we came here staff has this discriminating and judging look.. Didnt even look at us the whole time we did trnsactions and queries, he even raised a voice to my husband when he didnt hear him saying.. staff don't allow room coz the room assigned to us was so filthy and smelly.... i will not bother goin to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013
Saint Joseph, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel 81 makes an excellent "base camp" for those exploring the area. The staff were helpful and the location can't be beat - right in the heart of the action. On my recent trip, I used the Rodney Colter geylang guide and pretty much just needed a place to crash and regenerate between adventures. Hotel 81 proved to be that and more! Good value, friendly staff, unbeatable location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel 81 Lucky? Share your experiences!