“Planning my next trip. ;)” 5 of 5 stars

84.52.3677678
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Oxalis Adventure Tours is organizing caving and trekking tours in Quang Binh, Vietnam. the sole tour organizer to Hang Son Doong - the world's largest cave ( from August 1, 2013), and Tu Lan cave system. adventure and regular classic tour around Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Planning my next trip. ;)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We took the 2-day Hang En adventure. So happened that it was a private tour as no one else signed up.

Duc (our English-speaking guide), our two porters (T and Soi) and the ranger (Herb), were really great people. Duc and our porters were especially helpful and their singing through the trek was a joy to have. Through the brief 2-days, although limited by language, it was apparent to us how caring our porters were. They were always quick to spot leeches, plucking the
off our shoes or clothes, and they were very swift at catching my friend during the couple of times she slipped. She never got a chance to fall, the porters always caught her in time! Duc was also always ready to offer me that helpful hand. At night, he chatted with us and shed some insights on Vietnam and it's people.

Overall, our trek was at an easy pace, and we slept to the orchestration of the birds chirping away in the cave. The food was exceptional. Thoroughly impressed with our porters' cooking. It was delish!

The minority village we passed through was a great stop as well. The head village and his wife were such warm hosts, that I was looking forward to seeing them again on our hike out.

As breathtaking as the scenes were, I reckoned the team was no less amazing. These guys were great to spend days with. As a city girl with no hiking experience, these guys compensated for my breathless-self and unstable footing with their great spirits and skill. I'm already gathering hiking partners for my next trip!

• Vietnamese first
Hoi An, Vietnam
5 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our Vietnam trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

In the middle of March we (= my brother and i) did the Tu Lan 2-Day Jungle & Cave Discovery tour. It was a great experience and is definitely worth the money.
+ reliable, fast and easy communication beforehand (we were picked up at 5 a.m. at the Dong Hoi train station as agreed)(the price of 30 US$ was fair, a taxi is not cheaper)
+ great organisation
+ small groups (we were 8 participants + 2 guides (+ 4 or 5 porters))
+ delicious food (prepared/cooked by the porters)
+ beautiful and almost untouched landscape
+ stunning caves (hint 1: we swam a lot, so bring fast drying, functional clothes and sport/jogging shoes)
+ sleeping in an army hammock in the jungle was much more comfortable than expected (we slept like babies)

Hint 2: The tour ends at 4 p.m. and it is possible to be back in Dong Hoi at 5 p.m. Don't waste another night in this area. There is not much else to see. Book a late train / shuttle to your next destination.

Visited March 2014
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Great Day Out to the Caves”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We undertook a 1 day tour to the Tu Lang cave yesterday and enjoyed a great day out. The tour was perfectly organised, our tour guides were excellent. The whole experience starting with the booking and ending with the drop off at the hotel was outstanding. I highly recommend Oxalis. Great job.

Jasper, Indiana
19 attraction reviews
“The Best Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this trip. My husband and I agree this is one of the neatest things we've done. We did the Tu Lan 2-Day trip. I wish we were able to do a longer one. Our guide "Seven" was great! The water was freezing when we went so our guide altered our itinerary since it was just me and my husband. We only climbed on the first day and went swimming the second day when the sun was out and it was a little warmer. You really do need to have a decent level of fitness for this trip. It gets rough at times. The food was absolutely amazing for being made in the wilderness - we were both very happy and full. You may want to bring your own trekking shoes as I used the ones provided and there must have been a crack in mine. I kept collecting mud and rocks in my right shoe. We just had a great time and would recommend this trip to everyone we know!

Visited February 2014
Bilbao, Spain
8 attraction reviews
“Not worth the price. Far less than expected or paid for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Phonh Nha Ke Banh National Park is a must when visiting Vietnam. Even if it is not widely known by westerners (or maybe because of that!) this wonderfully unique cave system is definitively worth a visit.
If you are planning to include Phong Nha in your holiday in Vietnam, you should have two things into account.
First: it is perfectly possible to visit it on your own, and I really encourage you to do it!! It is really easy, even if so few information is available on the web.
Second; if you prefer the comfort of having someone organise the visit for you, I'm sure there are far better and cheaper ways of doing this than with Oxalis.

When planning our trip, we were scared by the lack of information available and decided to have all the trip planned from the origin. After reading the good reviews for Oxalis, we bought what can be called a "complete pack": transfer to and from Dong Hoi - Son Trach, two nights stay (the hotel was chosen by Oxalis) and two day trips - National Park Tor & Phong Nha Cave Tour. We also asked them if they could buy for us sleeper bus tickets for our next destination in Vietnam (Ninh Binh) and they kindly agreed.
The price for the whole package was high (more than 150USD per person only the tours), so we expected high quality and good value for money.

I have no complains about the logistics or the hotel. It was not a good one but I think it was the best that could be achieved.

The first day we did the Phong Nha Cave Tour. I found this one simply a fraud. The guide from Oxalis doesn't do anything that you cannot do by yourself. The visit to the cave is in fact done with a guide from the park who rides the boat in which you traverse the cave. I think charging 60USD per person for this is highly overrated. Moreover, the tour also includes a trekking to some villages, which our guide refused to do!!!. The hole tour lasted less than three hours!!!!!

We were really angry when we returned to the hotel, and we didn't know what to expect from the second day, in which we were to visit the wonderful Paradise Cave. I have to say that, fortunately, the lady who guided us the second day was far better than the guy from the previous, and the tour went on without problems.
But, again, the whole visit is very easy to do without guide, so there is no need to pay the high prices of Oxalis just for this kind of visit.

For a perfect end of our experience, the people from Oxalis forgot to buy for us the sleeper bus tickets, so we had some problems to get transportation for Ninh BInh for that night. Thanks God that the lady that was guiding us did her best and found a place in which we could buy two tickets.

As summary, I don't know if for more "adventurous" trip Oxalis is worth its price. But, for an easy tour like the one we did, a self-planned visit will be much more pleasurable and cheaper!!!

Visited August 2013
OxalisAdvTours, Owner at Oxalis Adventure Day Tours, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thanks for your review. We are sorry for not meeting your expectations, it has been 8 months since you have done this trip. We hope you still enjoyed this beautiful region and perhaps you can join one of our adventure programmes in the future, as we know you will not be disappointed. We try to avoid offering custom-tour requests to visit the mainstream tourism sites here as we know guests can join a bus tour and this is not our focus as an adventure tour operator.

Best regards