“1 day is not so hard” 5 of 5 stars

$198*
and up
Type: Mountains, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Fansipan is one of the most beautiful attractions in Sapa, It is the peak of Indochina with the elevation of 3143m
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“1 day is not so hard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My partner and I climbed Fansipan in 1 day early Jan. We were very lucky and had incredible weather; no rain, the clouds/mist cleared while we were at the top, we actually got too hot because the sun was out for a good section of the climb.
We wanted to post as many people seem to think Fansipan is impossible to summit in a single day hike so we ummed and ahhhed about it for a long time before deciding to do it but it is really not so bad.
We booked a tour guide through Du Minh Travel for $50USD per person. This was the cheapest out of about 5 places that we spoke to.
We started out at 6.30am from Sapa in car and started climbing at 7am.
Ming (our young guide) was very lovely, his English is not fantastic but enough to communicate. He is also extremely fit! We are both young (25 & 26) so he set a steady pace and it resulted in us completing the return climb in just under 7.5hrs including brief breaks.
This I think is faster than many would expect but proof that it doesn't need to be done over 2 or 3 days.
We are both very active, relatively fit people and we by no means found the trek easy. We carried a fast pace that we struggled with. The path is slippery in places (despite the sunny day) and you have to watch your step constantly as the path is not smooth. Coming down is a slow pace as it is very steep and slippery (we spent a good amount of time on our backsides). However we are no triathletes so I think for the average fit Joe who is determined and likes a good challenge then one day 10hrs average (times we deduced from the reviews) is what you need.

The camps on the way up that people stay in overnight are very basic and would be fun as a bit of an intrepid encounter but they didn't appeal to me at all. I also feel like splitting the climb over 2 days would make it very casual and you would have to go at an extremely slow pace in order to fill the days with climbing.

This climb was a real highlight of our trip. We loved the challenge, we loved conquering something and the view we were lucky enough to see at the top was fantastic! So if your fit and used to pushing hard with physical activity just go for the one dayer and feel great about what you have achieved.

Visited January 2014

• Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 attraction reviews
“Very nice for two days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We climbed mount Fansipan 3 days ago. It was great, despite it was snowing between 2800m and the top, but it's the mountain in January, and you have to assume that. It is totally worthit. All the other comments that the campsite is not clean, it's true, but it is a common area for all travelers, and you are at 2800m, thats the smallest of your worries, and you use your own plates and everything. The porters will carry your food also. Be very careful choosing the agency. Don't pay more than $50, at the end, all of you are going to get the same quality trip.

Visited January 2014
Paris, France
“Climbing Mt Fansipan is easy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hi Everyone,

Climbing Mt Fansipan, in Sapa (Vietnam) is an easy affair, especially if you are used to trekking, hiking or climbing. You could do it one day if you are fit enough (about 13 to 15kms one way) but personally camped for fun with a cool group of people. I climbed during monsoon season so it was all muddy and slippery but it's got its charm too! We was also pouring rain at night while camping but our huge tent was that awesome that water/humidity didn't go through at all. It can also get cold at night (during rainy season) but again we ended up sleeping outside of our sleeping bags in t-shirts because again our tent was awesome! and also we were 20 people, thus keeping each other warm I guess.

You need good hiking shoes because rainy season or not, it gets slippery. Also, the trail goes up and down and there is lots of flat so you don't have to hike the whole time, your legs won't suffer too much. It's a good idea to take loads of snacks with you as these are nice during breaks, especially when people have them and you don't! Too many breaks kill the breaks of course. If you are climbing in one day, I'd take only a 20min break either in the morning and another one in the afternoon. If you take too may breaks, you'll end up running out of time and rushing but also it will ruin your rhythm. .

I did he climb through an agency because I've had a hard time finding information on how to do it by myself and the time was very limited. Nevertheless, when you travel solo and you wanna do several days trek, going through an agency has its perks since you will meet some awesome people for sure which will add an extra dimension (human) to your climbing experience. You can find reliable companies in Sapa. Prices for a 2 days trek will vary from USD60 to USD85. I paid USD60 all in after comparing with 6 agencies.

Climbing solo: You can indeed book a porter/guide (he will carry the food for 2 days, the tent and your sleeping bag) onsite. He will arrange all the cooking (Incl 2 x lunches, 1 x breakfast, 1 x dinner) . You basically need to carry only your bag. If you decide to give him some of your belongings to carry (water for example), he will then expect you to pay him a bit of extra for that, which is fair. There is opportunity to buy water at the camps where you'll stop for lunch, dinner/sleeping. However it's more expensive, USD 3 for 1,5L).
The cost is about USD 20 per day if I recall (to be double checked) including everything.

Whether you climb solo with a porter or within a group, I would also make sure the tent is in good condition as there was a couple who didn't get any sleep because rain, humidity and cold went through. They were so tired and annoyed that they decided to go down the next morning.

Last but not least, Mt Fansipan is located where the Love Waterfall is so direction won't be a problem. You can either take a taxi or a bike to get there.

Hope that helps and enjoy the Climb, it's a nice one.
Hinda

Visited August 2013
4 attraction reviews
“10 hours.. Like a boss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Guide book says 3 days, hotel says 2 days, you can do this in one day (and not have to stay over in what we hear is poor accommodation).

We are not triathletes but are fairly fit and, though the climb was a challenge, was perfectly doable and enjoyable in under ten hours. To be honest, it's harder going down than up.

Our guide was fantastic and made the most amazing sandwiches at the top. The views are extraordinary and so lush. We were lucky with the weather and could see all the way back to Sapa.

Do this trek with a professional guide, at least two litres of water, good footwear (boots!!), a camera and in one day.

Visited March 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“One of the most memorable things I have done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Before I go in to detail; if you're going to Sapa make sure you do this trek. The views are unbelievable. When you’re at the top all you can see is the peaks of less mighty mountains poking through the clouds. You feel like you’re on top of the world for a few moments.

There will be a cable car in place in a year or so, so make sure you do it before this happens (in less you like natural scenery being ruined and being gazed upon by hundreds of tourists scrabbling to get the best photograph) Also I imagine, when this cable car is in place, there will be way too many people at the summit. It won’t be conducive to a great experience.

So starting from the top (or the bottom)

Weather: it’s a gamble. Don’t get your hopes up of an amazing view from, the top.

Previous comments mentioned the danger: it’s not dangerous what’s so ever. The track has been very well trodden and there is always a secure part to place you feet and hands. As long as you don’t rush or do anything stupid there is very little chance of you injuring yourself.

You do not have to be super fit to complete the climb. I have smoked and drank heavily for several years with little to no exercise and I was absolutely fine (I am 26 so obviously that helps). I would strongly advise doing the trek over 2 days as oppose to one. I think it’s enjoyable. Also you get to camp over night with other travellers which I thought was good fun.

Book with your hotel to get the best deal. Based on all the people I spoke to; expect to pay between $50 - $80 per person. It depends on how many people the hotels have managed to group for the trek. You can book with a charity called “Sapa Chau”. They charge $150 per person. Only use this company if you would like to contribute a large amount to charity. The experience, tour guides, accommodation and food is identical to those paying much less through there hotels.

Clothing / equipment: make sure you bring walking boots or good quality trainers. Bring waterproofs and a spare set if everything. The tour guides provide a sleeping bag but I would advise bring your own also (just to be more comfy and warm) Bring a torch. the guides provide food (it’s basic but ok, keeps you going)

Day 1 is a few hours walking and then you settle down at base camp. Make a fire and enjoy the night. The accommodation is basic. It’s a large shed and you sleep on wooden floor boards. There are no showers or any home comforts there. You can also here rats half way though the night. It’s not so bad when you’re half asleep.

Day 2 you trek for a couple of hours and you reach the top. It’s awesome. Take in the views and the sense of achievement and start the descent. You will be back home by about 4pm.
I hope this useful and that you enjoy the trip.

I made the mistake of licking the small monument at the summit. I was stuck there for two days until someone could fetch me warm water. Just touch it with your hands instead.

Visited December 2013

Been to Fansipan Mountain? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Fansipan Mountain, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.