“Completely ripped off” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Completely ripped off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend went to this restaurant for valentines day after seeing the set menu on their own website for £19.95, we were seated quickly and after looking through the set menu which had no prices on it we ordered our food,I took no notice of this as it said the set price on the their website, my starter which was meat balls was very poor tasted just like it had came out of a microwave and my girlfriend had some puff pastry starter, for our main I had a 'authentic' beef main which in fact tasted like a tesco microwave beef casserole which I left half of, my girlfriend had a chicken dish which was extremely poor the chicken was so rubbery and chewy she left over half of it, for desert we ordered cheesecake we literally had one bite each and left it, after looking around the restaurant we had noticed most of the people were leaving a lot of there food on their plates as well, for drinks my girlfriend had a glass of wine and I had a bottle of mineral water which came out in a volvic bootle the size you get from any local shop which costs a maximum 60p, I asked for the bill and to my amazement it came to £66 pound, I asked to speak to the manager to see what was going on as they had billed us for 4 drinks in total when we had 2, the manager came over and was very rude questioning the amounts of drinks we had when you could clearly see on the table what we had, anyway she took the bill changed it and brought it back and it was showing the food as £50 I questioned this and she said when you rang up and booked we told you it was £25 over the phone, I was outraged at this as it was a complete lie as I was never told anything, if you look on their website it clearly states £19.95pp, in a nut shell we got ripped of, the manager was a disgrace and the food was the worst I've ever had, will never go back there again and would never ever recommend it, also inside of the restaurant looks like a working mans social club with really cheap Greek decorations, a valentines meal to forget

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked a table a few months in advance for a family event and as it was a surprise I wanted to contact the restaurant nearer the time to confirm some details, but found them really hard to contact (slow replies online and no one answers the phone). However on the day the staff were brilliant and really accommodating (although they seemed to lose our birthday cake and took a long time to find it??). The food was nice enough and no one had any complaints. The dancing was the kind of slightly cringeworthy affair that I was expecting, but the birthday girl loved it which is all that mattered.

What I would say is that the dreadful singing and loud music whilst people are eating is really too much, it was impossible to have a conversation because we just couldn't hear each other. Obviously turn it up for the dancing, but when all of the tables are still eating it was quite unpleasant. We did actually act for it to be turned down but it wasn't. If this was changed then it would have been a much better night.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you drive past the roundabout entering Olton from Birmingham, you'd be forgiven for completely missing Zorba's Greek just across the road from the petrol station. Well, next time, make sure you go in. The staff are really friendly and welcoming, and pay a lot of attention to you (for example, adapting portions of food and drink for my pregnant wife, without us even having to ask).

The food is the real draw. Fabulous tastes, completely authentic (tasted just like when we were in Greece in the summer), and the price is more than reasonable - a meal for 3 people which left us fit to burst, together with a few drinks, came to under £90. I wouldn't have any hesitation about going back there - we went on a quiet Wedneday night, but I imagine the place would be buzzing on a Saturday night when the entertainment is on.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
coventry
“Didn't expect anything less”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We are a big fan of Zorbas and regularly go to the Coventry restaurant, we were there last week only to find out that Sammi and her hubby had brought a new restaurant and left their son alexi to run the Coventry branch so we decided to pop over and pay Sammi a visit this week. It is a much bigger restaurant than Coventry and they were fully booked but this didn't hamper the service and we couldn't believe how quickly our food was served. The food was excellent but then we didn't expect anything less. Sammi is the most amazing hostess, it's just a shame that we had to leave before the dancing began.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Coventry
“Walked in and walked out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We recently booked a table for two here for what we hoped would be a relaxed, quiet and romantic evening with my fiancé. We were both looking forward to a to an evening of Greek cuisine and any entertainment on offer.
We walked in to the restaurant through the smell of cigarettes from people outside the front and into an extremely busy restaurant. We were NOT greeted by anyone and decided to make our way past the large groups of people to the bar area. There appeared to be a few parties going on made up of fairly young people. There were long tables prepared in a very open plan style.
I decided to ask a lady who I assumed worked there as she appeared to be Greek if we could be seated. Our table had NOT been reserved, my details were not showing on their makeshift diary sellotaped to a table!
The lady walked over between two long tables with their parties about to be seated and prepared a table for two.
I told her not to bother and we left.
Even if they had reserved our table and it was out the way we would not have eaten there, it was extremely busy, overcrowded and they clearly didn't care about our reservation for two.