“Not quite excellent.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stapleford
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Not quite excellent.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed for one night in the Max Pike room during August.
We were greeted as soon as we walked through the front door. Our room wasn't ready yet, but we had some spa treatments booked. We left our bags at reception and they were taken up to our room to wait for us.

The spa in the stable block was a short walk away, however if it had been raining this would have been a bit of a pain. The stable block has been renovated really well. The spa staff were all very friendly, we even got a lift back to the hotel on a golf buggy! (driven at top speed - hold on tight!)

The room, while lovely, was, as previous reviewers have noted, in need of some refreshment. There are three steps down to the main part of the room and the carpet on the steps was really worn. The wallpaper had marks on it too. However I can't fault the cleanliness of the room at all.

In fact all the staff at Stapleford Park are brilliant, I hope the owners/managers give them the appreciation they deserve.

The sloe gin in the room is a nice touch - I ended up drinking this as my partner wasn't keen and was disappointed there wasn't a tea tray. If you ask they will provide one, but I can imagine some people don't like to ask so maybe it would be good to leave a note with the gin to say a tea tray is available on request?

We had afternoon tea, but this was disappointing and really bad value for money. £40 for 2 pots of tea, 8 tiny strips of sandwich and a few cakes!! Plus we felt absolutely crammed into the noisy library (every single table and seat was occupied) You'll leave feeling very ripped off.

The food at dinner was good but the service was poor. Strangely the later on in the evening it got and the more people left, the slower the service got? Also although the information in the room clearly states a dress code for dinner the staff don't enforce this at all, so it kind of spoilt the atmosphere when a family in shorts and sandles walked in!

The bed however was comfortable and dispite the room being near the stairs was quiet.

I thought breakfast was good - we were really impressed they had vegetarian sausage AND bacon.

We spent some time at the pool area the next day before we left. The changing facilities just aren't adequade. I have now seen the smallest lockers in the world - and as a resault some day guests leave their large bags on the only bench. So if two or more people are in the changing room at once it is very cramped. The pool is narrow and the steam and sauna rooms very small and there are only three lounger chairs. Although this is fine for hotel guests and club members as a nice added extra if you had paid for a spa day you could feel a bit cheated.

In conclusion I think they are trying to be something they are not:
They haven't got the facilities to offer spa days. The pool area and treatments not being in the same place isn't great either. They allow noisy families to take over the pool area.

They need to concentrate on their hotel guests and members, refresh the rooms, offer faster service at dinner and better value for money.

Room Tip: We had a Manor room and it was perfectly good. I think the rooms above Manor are just bigger and don...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Swaffham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked a golfing break last minute at this hotel and had high hopes of enjoying a spot of luxury - certainly the building and surroundings are very impressive and beautifully maintained.
We did arrive early as we had booked golf at 1.00pm but we hung around in the reception area quite some time before anybody actually noticed us. As a rule there are never any staff in the reception area as they seem to hang out in a room to the rear. Anyway we did fill out the check in form and went off to play golf. We finally checked in around 5.45 and were shown to our room in the old part of the hotel. Very nice young man took our bag and we were given the Justerini & Brooks room which was great. Extremely comfortable bed and pillows and lots of nice little extras as well as having a lovely view over the gardens. So far so good.
Dinner was included in our break and we paid a supplement to eat off the A la Carte menu. However when we went down to dinner we were given the set menu and although I queried this they said that this was the menu we must have. I decided to go to reception and query this thus avoiding discussion in the dining room. Eventually someone came over and told us we could have the a la carte menu up to £35 each and anything over this we would pay for. So that was sorted out. We had two courses and a bottle of house wine (£33). The food was good but not outstanding. There were no potatoes included with the main course even though it was £26 and I noticed even the set menu didn't include veg which is a bit mean.
We had a good nights sleep and a swim before breakfast the next morning. Lovely swimming pool and there is a beautiful spa area away from the main hotel in the old stables.
Breakfast was a huge disappointment. We ordered tea and toast from the waitress who showed us to our table but it didn't turn up. We had the hot buffet breakfast which was not hot at all in fact it was Luke warm and still no tea or toast. There was a lack of staff In the dining room but eventually we got our tea and toast but after our main breakfast. There was an option to order separately off the menu and in hindsight obviously this would have been better. We didn't enjoy the breakfast at all and for a five star hotel they should at least serve the food hot. It's a shame because the ingredients were good.
The hotel has some beautiful rooms with antique furniture and ornaments and a great deal of care has been made to give the place a relaxed feel. I really enjoyed the ambiance of the place and it is a pity some aspects were a let down.
We checked out quite quickly before playing golf and didn't pay too much attention to the bill. Bit of a mistake that. Down at the golf club the poor golf pro charged us for two rounds of golf because nobody had entered us on the system as having paid for a golfing break with two rounds of golf. He was embarrassed but it was in no way his fault. We did enjoy the golf and it is a long flat course but quite challenging.
It was only the next day at home when I took the hotel bill out that I noticed that they had charged us twice for our bottle of wine....and at £33 a pop this was a bridge too far. I phoned up and the reception said they would get back to me. She did eventually call and very unapologetically said they had made an error and the difference would be refunded. I just wonder just how many administrative errors you can make in one overnight stay. I hope everybody checks their bill here because we would have overpaid £30 for the dinner, £33 for the wine and £80 for two rounds of golf if we hadn't been vigilant. I am glad we didn't come in a party of six!
In summary...a beautiful hotel with lovely rooms but there are some issues which rather spoilt it for us. We did have a bargain break it being a Sunday night in August however if we had paid the full price I would have been really upset.

Room Tip: If you are in the old part of the hotel there is quite a walk through corridors with loads of fire d...
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went for afternoon tea and it was beautiful. The house is really amazing with wonderful grounds and views. It,s got lovely decor with beautiful ceilings it doe,st feel like a hotel but an amazing home. The staff were very attentive and friendly. You can go all out and dress up or go in jeans and a tee shirt both work here. The cakes are to die for. I can,t wait to go and stay for a couple of nights i,m sure the experience will be great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at Stapleford Park. The staff are always friendly and attentive, the grounds are stunning and the house is clean and well kept.
The rooms are lovely however the bathrooms could perhaps be updated but that really is being fussy.
Food at the restaurant is amazing and well priced.
We did use the spa - lovely treatments but is slightly annoying that the pool and sauna is separate (a 5 minute walk outside).

Can't praise this hotel more.

• Stayed August 2013
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We spent two sunny days in August at this hotel for a birthday celebration. What a beautiful place! The staff are so kind and helpful, not snooty at all. The hotel appears to have a lot of rooms but we felt like the only ones there. We used the Clarins spa which was housed in the old stable block and well worth a visit, even if its just to see the building. The gardens are the crowning glory. A beautiful walled garden with apple orchard and lots of lavender bushes, putting green and garden games, a nice terrace looking out over manicured lawns. It really was the most beautiful of hotel gardens I have ever been to. Also the church of Mary Magdalene in the grounds is open most days and is very interesting. Overall I cannot fault this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and book early to get a good deal
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Quite uncharacteristically, I didn't read any of the reviews of Stapleford park prior to my visit, because I was completely sold by the lovely pictures. However, now that I've just returned and read some of the reviews, I really couldn't agree more with the 'average' rating and comments that many people have left.

Yes - the location, grounds, and building are all lovely. Stunning in fact. And with this you might expect a 5 star experience. But scratch beneath the surface and the little disappointments start to counteract the nice touches - which really is a shame.

For example, the public areas are lovely: fresh flowers and stately charm are abundant. But the bedroom (we stayed in a 'manor room' right at the top of the house [I fondly referred to our room as the servants' rooms]) were rather dated, with terribly old fashioned (scratchy) bedding, and a dated bathroom to match. My prevailing thought: my gran would love this - but what a shame they haven't re-decorated the room in a style that is sympathetic to the feel of the house AND updated for the standards expected by the modern traveller...?

The evening meal in the main restaurant: superb. But the breakfast in the same room next morning: tepid coffee, cold toast, and a severely limited supply of basic cereal. The cooked breakfast was, however, delicious.

The spa experience: fantastic. I felt pampered and relaxed. And the pool / sauna / steam room (in a separate location, BTW) was one of the highlights of our stay (together with the fantastic dinner, described above). However, the lunch provided afterwards in the Pavillion restaurant: mediocre. Cheap looking place settings and a lunch I could have thrown together for under £10.

Sitting on the veranda drinking an afternoon coffee and watching the sheep go by: bliss. The 30 minute wait for service, when we were the ONLY people being served: very disappointing. By contrast, the turn-down service with a mint chocolate on the pillow each nice was a very nice touch.

My overall impression of the hotel at Stapelford Park wasn't bad, but more one of consistent, slight disappointments, when what I'd expected was to be blow-away impressed. I've stayed in hotels for the same price that just deliver the end product of a top-quality stay much better. Perhaps I've stayed in too many boutique hotels recently, or watched too many episodes of the Hotel Inspector, or am extremely difficult to please. Or perhaps when you go to a place like Stapleford Park you expect the best...and you're rightly disappointed if little, finishing touches fail to live up to expectation. Hard to say. But I wont be in a hurry to return.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

A taste of a typical ex Peter De- Savory owned Hotel , still retains the ambience of a stately home' provides good quality staff, serving an 3-course Dinner cooked to order in the recently refurbished exotic Victorian style Dining Room.

For very special occasions, it is a well appreciated Treat as it is expensive compared with other well known 5-star chains but good value for an overnight's stay at Stapleford Hall.

Upon checking out there was a misunderstanding about the room package deal which should have included for Dinner-we discovered it was not included for

The rooms were well furnished but the Bed Mattress was nearing the end of its life as the One of the Mattress springs protruded into my spine occasionally

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stapleford Park? Share your experiences!