“Must experience” 5 of 5 stars

Melbourne, Australia
30 attraction reviews
“Must experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

A must see it is not just the rice paper, it is the barge across the river. It is the coal dust to make the cooking bricks, it is the pigs living under the house. A feel of realism to village life with a tv and a motor bike thrown in

Hanoi, Vietnam
14 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I went to Tho Ha village with my friends in a raining day. It's interesting to see how local people live. Tried to make rice paper and listen to a very funny man who can play different musical instruments. I had a fun day.

Visited May 2012
Rennes, France
“Tho Ha Village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I went to Tho Ha village with the agency Indochina Charm Travel and I have been very satisfied. Indeed, after having visited the village with the guide, we went to one of the houses in the village of Mr. Viet, who is specialized in making rice paper. He and his wife first gave me the chance to make myself some rice paper, obviously the result was not so good but it was amazing!

After that, we went inside the house. M Viet shown us his family life style and proposed us to sit down in his living room. We started by drinking one glass of rice alcohol before to taste Vietnamese tea. It was pretty good! Then, we have had a discussion about his family and his life time experiences because M Viet participated to Vietnamese war. It was also very interesting and touching…

Looking at the wall of the living room I have seen a lot of instrumental music and I asked to M Viet what it was. As the leader of traditional music band in the village, he decided to take some of them and playing us a song! I was very astonished and amazed by the sound it produced. Actually these instruments are traditional in Vietnam and when he asked us to participate, it was really amazing.

So it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Yes, it is just a village but when we see the hospitality and the kindness of the inhabitants, but also their “simple” way of life, it becomes extraordinary.

If you have the intention to travel in Vietnam and more particularly around Hanoi, don’t hesitate to take a detour in Tho Ha village and mostly with the agency Indochina Charm Travel because they are the only one to propose this one day travel and besides, it is not expensive!

Visited May 2012
New York City, New York
“very interesting experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

We did a half day tour of Tho Ha village with Asia Top Travel and were not disappointed. We saw how the people in this village make rice paper and and got to try to make some ourselves. We spent some time with a local man and ended up having a vietnamese music jamming session, it was pretty awesome. Very recommended if you like that kind of thing, do not expect ANY kind of glamour or luxury in this town.

Morro Bay, California
3 attraction reviews
“Tho Ha, rural "virgin" village near Hanoi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

We just spent 3 days in Hanoi on an organized tour and had a free day so we booked a trip to the rural village of Tho Ha. A small village about 1 1/2 hours drive from Hanoi.
It was a highlight of our time in Viet Nam!
After the drive into the countryside, the village can only be reached by a small ferry and the people produce mostly rice paper, rice wine, and other rice foods.
Hardly any tourists go here so village life is unaffected by visitors and everyone was so friendly, especially the children!
During our walk in the village we were introduced to many village families and saw many of the different rice products being made in the village including making circular rice paper for spring roles....a tedious hand-made process that has remained the same for generations!!!
The 4 of us had a 7 hour tour with driver and guide including lunch with a local family.
If you wish info on the trip, please email me!

Bill & Toni Pisor