“Irish Hospitality at it's best. We will stay here again!” 5 of 5 stars

Nellie Dees
Killilagh, Doolin, Ireland   |
Ranked #15 of 43 Doolin B&B and Inns
Denver
“Irish Hospitality at it's best. We will stay here again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My new husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during our honeymoon. Jimmy and Loraine were so friendly and gracious. The inside of this quaint bed and breakfast was modern and clean. The location couldn't be better. It was an easy walk down to restaurants, pubs, and 4km to the ocean. Breakfast were wonderful and the breakfast room has the most extraordinary views of the hills, ocean, and the cliffs. They recommended the Riverside Cafe and it was a great meal. I would also recommend Magnetic Music Ltd. cafe. Great lunch and desserts.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

When my husband & I were researching where to stay during our trip to Ireland, Nellie Dee's stood out from the rest on Trip Advisor. I have to admit that I was overwhelmed at the huge list of places to choose from so I was grateful for the reviews. I have to say folks: they were right!! We were so glad that we chose Nellie Dee's.

Loraine, the owner, impressed me from the very start. She emailed me in the states before our trip to let me know that we would be staying at Nellie Dee's on Good Friday. In Ireland, all of the pubs go dark on Good Friday. As a result, restaurants are packed. Loraine was SO SWEET & wanted to be sure that we had a place to eat dinner so she made reservations for us at a restaurant (Riverside Bistro) down the street. Sidenote: you MUST eat at the Riverside Bistro. It was casual yet elegant at the same time. It was one of the most romantic dinners my husband & I have had together. The food was amazing & the staff was so incredibly nice. It's a VERY SHORT WALK from Nellie Dee's.

When we got back from dinner, my husband & I split a bottle of wine & played cards late into the night in the main room of Nellie Dee's. We popped on the CD player which Jimmy & Loraine had stocked with Irish music. Jimmy came by on his way home & say goodnight. It was an evening I'll never forget.

But... back to Nellie Dee's: . The water was hot, the beds were really comfy, the house was incredibly clean. My husband & I both agree that our best nights sleep of the entire trip was at Nellie Dee's. Breakfast the next day was great & we enjoyed our chat with Jimmy & the rest of the guests. We can't recommend Nellie Dee's enough! If you visit County Clare, you must see Doolin. If you stay in Doolin... you must stay at Nellie Dee's!!! Thank you Jimmy & Lorainne!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Not only was the room clean and comfortable and the full Irish breakfast delicious (as we expected), but the sitting room which we had access to was the nicest in all the B & Bs we stayed in. The view from the sitting room windows was beautiful. The location was great, a short walk to two of the best music pubs in Doolin. Free access to high speed internet was much appreciated. The Spencers were gracious hosts. We truly enjoyed our two night stay and are glad we selected Nellie Dees.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

The B&B was lovely. Simply decorated, modern and comfortable. Enjoyed the guest sitting area. The host and hostess, Jimmy and Lorraine, were quite hospitable. The breakfast was delicious. Great location. Would certainly recommend.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Nellie Dees accomodations were excellent. The Spencer's were extremely helpful with any questions we had. The rooms were clean, neat and very comfortable. The breakfast was done in typical Irish style and very yummy!!!. Nellie Dees is perfect for walking to all 3 pubs in Doolin.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Loraine and Jimmy Spencer are friendly and accommodating hosts at their B&B. I stayed with them @ 7 years ago and also recommended Nellie Dees to friends who had a very positive experience. Rooms are fitted pleasantly with all the needed amenities. Breakfast selections are fresh and served on time for those needing to make early connections.
Nellie Dees is located in walking distance to several pubs and to the pier connecting to Aran. It is quiet and the air is fresh and healthy. It's a place where you can park your car and take in the surroundings, or serve as a base for exploring the Burren, caves, cliffs, and coastal vistas. In my June visit I brought along family members who were making their first trip to Ireland. Because Nellie Dees is close to Shannon Airport, we began and ended our holiday with Jimmy and Loraine. It was a great welcome and farewell.

Room Tip: All rooms are first floor and quiet.