“Doolin Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Doolin
GreenLeadersGold level
“Doolin Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great place to stay for few days, very friendly people, excellent accomodation
Clean and quiet place, very well equipped kitchen, great cafe.
I was there with my family, owners and staff were very helpful
Deffinitely will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hostel is one of the better hostels in the Doolin region. All the hostels are great, but this one is right beside the bus stop if you need to get anywhere else after your stay in Doolin. It's a nice walk to the cliffs of moher from there too (be prepared for a mini trek) and about 10 minutes from McGanns Pub which does a great music session with Shay and Geraldine McGowan and other musicians. The breakfast is quite good and the front room has a stable wifi for people who really want the internet. The fitness center is all around the surrounding areas and the swimming pool is up the road and down by the pier.

Room Tip: The hostel will rent out a room so if you are with a group look at fisher street hostel which is run...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear SpannerOToole

Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and got good use of our fitness center with its amazing views and uniqueness and got to listen to some great music in McGanns.

Thanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Anthony is the perfect host, relaxed and friendly. He has lots of great tips and advice about travelling around Clare and Ireland. The hostel itself is very clean, warm and comfortable. There is a wood burning fire in the living / sitting room which adds to the coziness. The breakfast's are great value and delicious - a lovely array of breads, pastries, preserves and porridge (oatmeal) which is second to none. It's located conveniently near to The Burren and The Cliffs of Moher. Gus O' Connors is a great bar a stones throw way from the Hostel with great Guinness, food and traditional music sessions. I know where I'll be staying the next time I'm in Clare.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Amanda

Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and got to experience such a great time in Doolin. I look forward to meeting you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was happy to find plenty of parking when I arrived at Doolin Hostel the other day. The couple running the place are very friendly. The wife gave me suggestions of what to see and do that afternoon before I even asked for them. The hostel itself was quiet, and the location is great. It was easy to wander back after a night at O'Connors Pub across the street. And the breakfast was delicious (oh those scones!).

My complaints are few, but they are the reason why I marked the hostel a four out of five.

1. There was no soap in the toilets. I really dislike when hostels don't put out soap for guest use. The shared bathrooms are used by many people and other surfaces such as door handles, etc are touched by a variety of people. In order to keep germs from spreading, soap should be stocked in all toilet facilities. I don't have a big problem with bringing my own soap with me, but I am sure that some guests would not bother to carry their own in with them.

2. The bunk beds were comfortable and the linens were quality. But the top bunk was SO close to the bottom bunk that there was no way the person on the bottom could sit up in bed. It was very cramped space. Maybe not all of the bunks are like this, but the ones in my dorm room were.

3. The website I used to book the hostel (hostelbookers.com) listed the breakfast as included with the room, but I paid 6 euros. I had read other reviews and knew I would have to pay for it. But I think this should be changed as it is quite misleading.

With those three minor complaints, I will say that I would return to Doolin Hostel. As I mentioned, the couple running the place really make the whole experience. I think there are a few improvements yet to be made in the hostel, but they are definitely working very hard to please their guests. I hope to visit again one day!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear RunsAmok

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and for your constructive feedback. I am sorry there was no soap in the public toilet there should have been, also as mentioned in your hostelbookers review regarding the clarity of our breakfast options I have amended the description which should hopefully avoid confusion for future guests.

We do offer complimentary tea coffee and cereal at breakfast time in the kitchen. But we also offer in our Coffee Shop a large continental breakfast buffet with home baking for €5.00 per paid on arrival or €6.00 on the morning and we explain these options to all on arrival. I am glad you enjoyed this and found the scones so wonderful, we appreciate the praise.

Regarding some of the bottom bunk mattresses, this was a blunder on my behalf. When we took over the properties last year we replaced a lot of mattresses with high quality hotel bed mattresses. These where thicker than the normal mattress and more comfortable, but reduced the head space.
As we continue to upgrade our properties we will be getting more mattress and have sourced thinner ones for the few bottom bunks left to change with as good a quality of comfort. This along with other improvements we continually strive to have one of the highest quality and comfortable hostels possible for our guests to enjoy.

Thank you for your kind praise and we are glad you enjoyed our company.
Hopefully we will meet again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Doolin Hostel is a great advert for hosteling in Ireland and Irish hospitality at it's best. What the owner Anthony is doing is a real credit to him and the industry as a whole. He provides great accommodation, a welcoming environment, always got tips and hints for places to go, and not just locally, but around the entire country.
The location is perfect for exploring Doolin and the surrounding areas, especially the Cliffs of Moher and for some excellent food and drink in the evening, Gus O'Connor's Pub is less than 5 minutes walk away.
The on site cafe is very well stocked, with a very impressive wine collection, and the breakfasts are great value for money with fresh breads, scones, jams cereals, juices, coffees & teas. I would highly recommend the porridge, it'll keep you going all day!
I will definitely be recommending it to anyone traveling in that direction and already look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hello James

WOW, thanks for such a great review, it really put a a smile on our faces as we read it. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to having you come again, you are always more than welcome and it is the reason we like doing what we do.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Pass by all the crud up by Fitzpatricks and head down to O'Connors and the Doolin Hostel. Great place to stay. 14 Euro for the night, great hot showers and very helpful hosts. Also a great base to explore all Doolin has to offer.

Room Tip: Nice to hear the ocean from the front rooms facing Fisher Street. During high season these rooms mi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Alaska Traveller

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Ireland

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I came in from NYC and was greeted by the two most friendly people ever! They were warm and down to earth, and their facilities were just great. A VERY cozy living room area with a fire all day and practically all night, a sunroom to dine in, a VERY large kitchen, beautiful little cafe area where you can get lattes and wine, etc, and the breakfast each morning was excellent. It felt like I was staying at a bed and breakfast...Everything is super clean, all new renovated facilities, and just...the best. TIP: take the walking path up to see the Cliffs, it's about 2 hours and totally worth it. Best walk of my life with amazing views!! Thanks Anthony and Diedra!

Room Tip: Walking path up to the Cliffs of Moher
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Amber

Hope you got back to New York in one piece and I hope you got some of the stunning photos you took developed. It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for the kind words and praise.

Anthony and Deirdre

Been to Doolin Hostel? Share your experiences!