“Great for what we paid” 4 of 5 stars

1 Fisher Street, Doolin, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Doolin
GreenLeadersGold level
Cary, North Carolina
“Great for what we paid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

It is a hostel, and so is not fancy by definition. We had a reasonable room at a reasonable price, and access to a washing machine and dryer which was badly needed. They have a nice coffee shop with lots of options for breakfast and of course facilities to cook your own food at any reasonable time. Good value if you are OK with hostels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Makkum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very nice staff, great food,very clean hostel,cosy fires during coller nights and good laughs and conversations. very close to 2 great pubs with music and also close to ferry crossing to Inishere, thesmallest of the Aran islands.

Room Tip: at the backside of the hostel I was treated at great sunrises!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
cairns
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night - good location, rooms clean, great big kitchen. Owners really friendly. Only recommendation would be to get additional equipment for laundry. I paid to wash and dry my laundry which was fine - but then realised there was only one machine and staff were trying to wash sheets, towels etc for the hostel. Took ages to complete - a small gripe, and it worked out fine, but just a thought for the future. The coffee shop was great, and the room was fine and functional for the price. It was great for the one night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Anthony and Dei... M, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. In regards our laundry facilities it is something we added when we took over the property in February 2012 as we found it was a facility lacking in Doolin for our guests. Although the currently situation is not ideal it is something we are currently working on and will hopefully have a seperate laundry facility purpose built for our guests for next season as well as some other new additions.

Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Best hostel we have ever stayed in. It was a Fabulous location for the area. the owners were friendly, helpful, and knowledgable about the area. The hostel was clean and warm and rooms were fitted with everything needed for hostel stay.
Recommend the doolin hostel highly.
Great home cooked food available at cafe!!!

Room Tip: Communicate with the owners when booking and they will ensure rooms meet your needs as much as possi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

It was my first time staying in a hostel and I was really impressed. The hard work that the owner (Anthony) and his wife have put into this excellent hostel makes for a wonderfull inexpensive stay in the heart of West Clare.
The kitchen area was spotless and had all the appliances required if one wished to cook their own meals.
There was a lovely cafe there with great coffee, scones (to die for) and handy information on what not to miss in the area, all served up by people who seemed to be enjoying their job.

Frequently the place was checked which insured that at all times the living area was very clean.
I was with friends this time but I am looking forward to bringing my wife and children next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Anthony and Dei... M, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words and praise, it is very much appreciated and gives us great pleasure in reading. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to your return with your family.

Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Three of us rented the private suite. It comes with a queen size bed, two sets of bunk beds, and a private bath. The shower had wonderfully warm water and was spacious. The room was being renovated to have a wood floor which is a plus. Makes the place much easier to be clean. Each morning warm scones are ready with fresh fruit and cereal.

Anthony, the owner, works so hard to keep that place looking great and running well. Ample space for several groups and very good space for community to gather.

Highly recommend.

Navin R Johnson

Room Tip: Ask for the private suite if there are a few of you.
galway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I booked Doolin hostel for a group of 8. We were on my brothers stag party, but this was made clear to the owner who accepted the booking a month prior to our arrival, and again 2 days before our arrival.
When we arrived at the hostel, the owner made one excuse after another, but one thing for sure is that he did not honour our booking and we were forced to look for alternative accommodation in Doolin on a busy Friday evening. Thankfully, we all managed (eventually) to secure accommodation which I have no doubt was far superior to said "hostel".

Be very careful when you book rooms in this hostel, the owner is not trustworthy and you could find yourself spending a few hours trying to find a bed to put your head on! And for everyone's information, our stag party did not destroy Doolin, in fact we had a great stay in the localitiy despite doolin hostel's attempts to ruin our well planned weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Anthony and Dei... M, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
To Clarify the situation of refusal, it was unfortunate and not something taken lightly, plus a high financial cost to me for my decision which is a lot of money for a small family business.

1) As a policy we do not take stag parties or similar such parties and after this experience we will not be taking future stag or similar parties and will reserve our right to refuse admission if one is covertly booked under false pretenses or by a number of small individual bookings even after acceptance or payment.

2) The original booking was for 3 twin rooms (6 persons) it was only when a fourth twin room was asked for that I investigated and found out it was a Stag Party. But after a conversation with your brother I decided to take the booking as he assured me it was a set of older friends and we had an understanding that there would be no alcohol brought onto the premises, no parties would be held and the rooms where just for sleeping.

3) Doolin Hostel is easy to find and has ample car parking but on arrival your bus drove past the hostel to park 150 meters down the street – Why? To unload numerous cases of beer and other bottles of alcohol, which were then decanted and hidden into each group members luggage.

4) On arrival I refused you entry as you broke the agreement. I gave you a second chance by agreement if you gave up the cases of beer and bottles of alcohol which I would keep for the duration of your stay and you could take them home with you when leaving. On this agreement 2 x 6 packs of beer and 2 bottles of BuckFast where produced. Again you broke the agreement. Your excuse was it was the younger guys in your party did not understand and you had no control over them. If you couldn’t how was I supposed to guarantee the safety and comfort of my other guests.

5) I have a small family business and it is also my home for my family and children. We work hard and endeavor to give the best service possible as commented by many reviewers. But most importantly I will not accept any person who believes he/she has a right to hinder another guests experience as many guests have to save long and hard to pay for their holiday, which I see as a privilege that they choose to come stay with me to enjoy the local activities and sights.

6) To clarify for future guests, we will not be accepting stags or similar parties. If you are looking for a relaxing stay in a comfortable hostel centrally located, with a nice coffee shop and a good breakfast then we are what you are looking for. If you are looking to drink an insane amount of alcohol and what to have a party back in the hostel, we are not the hostel for you and you will be asked to leave.

Anthony

Been to Doolin Hostel? Share your experiences!