“Great hostel on a perfect place” 5 of 5 stars

Doolin Hostel
1 Fisher Street, Doolin, Ireland   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Doolin
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great hostel on a perfect place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

The staff is really nice and helpful, they also sell bus tickets and the bus stop is just across the street! Theres a great way to the cliffs of moher but it's also close to some pubs with live music! Aaaand doolin itself is really nice and worth to see!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Den Haag, Nederland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Kind and good service! We enjoyed the breakfast, with homebaked bread. In a few metres from the hostel starts a beautiful walking trail along the cliffs, which you can walk without a guide.
We happened to have a dorm with no other guests, which was a pleasant surprise.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I did not stay here, but we did poke our head in. Where as most of the restaurants in Doolin are pretty expensive, and the other cafe was closed, we decided to try here. We were so glad that we stopped in! The owner makes all his own breads and condiments. We had affordable and filling sandwiches (I had turkey with stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce- delicious) with crisps and a small mixed green salad (with homemade dressing- right in front of us) on the side. Close to the piers and right across from the bus stop, they also have a variety of pastries. So I can't say anything about the accommodations, but the food was great! And Anthony was pleasant and patient while we were deciding what to do!

Western Ireland, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed there and it was fairly awful for Irish standards. I am Irish and it was definitely the worst place I have ever stayed. Small things like really craps pillows and a broken mirror. Those are small replaceable things should be taken care of and for nearly 18 euro a night, it really cheeky not to fix those things. Go to the other hostel Riverside much nicer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Anthony and Dei... M, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest

It was good to converse with you last month and I look forward to your return visit. To keep you updated since we spoke we have updated the rooms in our adjacent building that you have stayed in.

They have all been repainted, new mirrors in the bathrooms, duvets, pillows on the beds, new lamp shades plus other little touches and renovations. We have also replace the hallway and stairs carpet plus lighting to give a fresher look in keeping with the main builiding.

As the busy season comes to an end we will be closing our adjacent building and we will be continuing our renovations over the coming winter period, transforming the downstairs living, dining and kitchen area in this building adding new services and amentities for all our guests to use.

I am sorry that your experience was not to the standard we wish to deliver to all our guests and thank you for your feedback. I look forward to your next visit and to show you all the improvements we have made.

Kindest regards
Anthony
Waterford, Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was the best experience I have ever had. I think what made it so special was the owners of the Doolin Hostel. Anthony is awesome. He was so helpful when I purchased the wrong bus ticket and cancelled it for me. This guy is always busy, so for him to take the time to help me cancel my ticket was very generous of him. I mean really, I do not know how this guy does it all. He greets every guess with a smile and helps anyone who needs it. The food, the service, and fair prices are phenomenal. If I ever make it back to Doolin I will definitely visit this hostel again.

Dublin 18
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I didn't stay here but would if I could. Providing chauffeur tours around Ireland I dropped in for a tea while my clients strolled around Doolin village. They have opened a great fresh new looking coffee shop and its in great hands as I got chatting to the owner who has a background in high end accommodation. The place has had a makeover recently and he seems to be ticking every box even down to how many days he takes to prepare the ham. Its location is great in the town centre and you can even enjoy a scenic walking tour from the town up to the cliffs and back, why not take a sandwich. I don't often write reviews but when I see someone putting great effort into an area with such potential, it deserves a mention. Bon continuation!

Room Tip: Book ahead, it might be getting busy!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had no reservations when I stopped in Doolin and allowed the Bus driver to chose my hostel. I was traveling alone through Ireland for 30 days. When I stepped off the bus and entered the Hostel the rest of my trip was canceled! This was home! My accomodations counldn't have been better. The location is so perfect with the Cliffs of Moher on one side, the Burren on the other & the Aran Islands just off the coast in front of you with the ferry terminal a short mile walk away. Don't forget the TRAD is at all the pubs & you can walk to all from Doolin Hostel. I enjoyed sharing my room with different people as that gave me a chance to meet so many interesting people.
The best thing about the Doolin Hostel is that when you arrive you are a client, when you leave you are family! Can't wait to get back to see my family! Give the girls a hug from the U.S. Grandma.
Geneva Remmerde

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Doolin Hostel? Share your experiences!