“Great pub grub” 5 of 5 stars

McGann's
Doolin, Ireland
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Doolin
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
wicklow
“Great pub grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was visiting the Cliffs of Moher with my wife's family and we stopped in at McGann's after. It has a bit of the 'Irish theme pub' feel about it so I had my doubts. Yes it was full of tourists but there were clearly locals at the bar and the place had a lively and welcoming feel.
We were all starving and looking for something to keep us going for the drive back to Dublin and this place delivered in spades. It was all your standard pub classics e.g. burgers, fisn n chips, stew, bacon and cabbage. These dishes aren't hard but all too often Irish pubs make a mess of them.
McGann's however was absolutely top notch- simple food done really well. Even though it was very busy, the staff were great- really friendly which my guests commented on. Good value for money too I'd add. Well done to them and a big thanks.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Montclair, New Jersey
“Our favorite Doolin pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited each of the famous Doolin pubs on successive nights. This was our first and favorite. All had surprisingly good pub food--here the winners were seafood chowder and Irish stew. The chowder had plenty of seafood and reminded me of New England clam chowder--the non-gummy kind. The beer on tap that we had--Smithwicks--was a bit flat, but the O'Hara's IPA in a bottle was excellent. What really made this place stand out for us was the music, a trio consisting of a guitarist, banjo player, and singer. Fine musicians who played contemporary up-tempo (burnin') music.

Visited August 2014
NJ
“My personal favorite in Doolin...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

O'Connor's has the rep, McDermott's has parking and personality, but I found myself returning to McGann's time and again while vacationing in Doolin. I found the food to be prepared with just a bit more emphasis on flavor, the seafood chowder, with it's diced up ingredients approach left you with every spoonful being flavorful and satisfying. and the bangers and mash with a great sausage gravy, was truly a standout for someone who has had that particular combinations far more times than I can recall. The bar was far more attentive than most with speedy and always pleasant service despite the crowds, but it was the music that drew me back. The only pub with any kind of sound system, McGann's gave you an opportunity to enjoy the music even when you weren't right next to the band; a definite luxury on those packed summer nights. McGann's also seemed to feature more vocalists who were willing to drift away from pure trad, which was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed all three pubs (OK there are a few more in town, but I quickly found these three were the ones that mattered) but McGann's became my default choice for the best Craic in town.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“Good food and great music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

McGanns is the ideal place for dinner and an evenings entertainment with some of the local Traditional Irish musicians.

Visited July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Dinner in Doolin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Great Pasta dishes, although only two of had these, the others opted to have local stew and salad, which were enjoyed as well. Very Busy when we got there but was able to get a table in back and service was excellent.

Visited July 2014