“Friendly & Smart Rooms - a surprise find in Millstreet” 4 of 5 stars

Wallis Arms
Millstreet Town Centre, Millstreet, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Millstreet B&B and Inns
Cardiff
“Friendly & Smart Rooms - a surprise find in Millstreet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Searching for accomodation in Millstreet, this place doesn't figure on many search results. But once found & visited it's a treasure of a place in a friendly town. I will acknowledge we had a problem due to overbooking, but the response was all the owner Billy Sheehan could do, with 2 couples roomed as planned, with me & my wife located in B&B on the edge of town. But transfers were organised whenever we asked, including at 2am when we left the saturday night disco. The Wallis Arms is a centre of locals enjoyment, but don't let that worry you - noise in the rooms was nil.
If you visit Killarney, think about staying in Millstreet - the atmosphere & hospitality is second to none. SMART HOTEL ROOMS ONLY RECENTLY REFURBISHED with MASSIVE DOUBLE BEDS & WONDERFUL POWER SHOWERS.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 + 2 are larger rooms, but all are spacious enough.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Everyone was amazing! Rooms were spacious and clean with own bathroom. Location in town was perfect, as well as a great jumping off spot for many day trips.
The staff, what can I say but AMAZING! Everyone went out of their way to know who I was, what I may or may not wish to see, do, go or just there to provide a laugh along with a guiness!
The price was incredibly reasonable and I will definately stay there again, and again and again...ps Hi Billy, and Lili!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Helmond, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We wre walking along the Duhallow way. Billy Sheahan of the Walklis Arms helped us by picking us up and dropping us and our luggage off (for free!). We stayed here 3 nights in a very nice room. The bar was busy and the food was good. Everyone helped us and gave great service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

Millstreet in Cork is the town where the Eurovision Song Contest was held on at least one of the many occasions that Ireland has been host!

We needed to go there for work and I searched the internet for a list of hotels in the town. That was where the problem started as first of all I did not realise that Millstreet is actually about an hour outside of Cork city and secondly ...........there are no hotels in Millstreet or at least none I could find any information on!
I had to do quite a bit of research before I came across a listing for the Wallis Arms. I am not a big fan of bed and breakfasts as whilst a lot of people like being involved in a family I like to rest at the end of a hard day and pick my conversations ! Saying that, the thought of staying in a room over a pub did make me think a bit - as did the advice when I tracked down the telephone number and called to make the booking that the Saturday night might be bit noisy because of the disco !

With some trepidation I collected the rental car at Cork airport and set off for Millstreet. You have to be alert on the main road as the sign for Millstreet could easily be missed and when you do actually get onto the road for Millsteet you could be forgiven for thinking that you were on the road to nowhere !

Arriving into Millstreet at about 23.30hrs we found the Wallis Arms easily and as the hotel had given us the Managers mobile number (in case they could not hear the office phone) when we did feel we were a bit lost we were able to ring them and they made sure we were on the right road.

The restaurant was closed when we got there but they offered to make us tea and sandwiches or (and this was a nice touch) they said we could get something from the takeaway across the road and they would set the table for us ! (The Italian takeaway did a great fish and chips and you could also get hamburgers or pizzas ).

The Wallis Arms is what I would call a fairly typical Irish village pub, comfortable with friendly staff and frequented by a good mix of locals and others.

We were allocated room 9 which was on the top floor (but only three storeys). The room was a lovely surprise. It turned out that the Wallis Arms had been taken over about a year earlier and the new owners had completely renovated all the rooms. New floors, new bathroom suite, new furniture and modern tasteful decoration. The heating had been switched on prior to our arrival so the room was lovely and warm. Beds were very comfortable with duvets and crisp clean sheets, extra pillows were in the wardrobe. There was a colour television with local channels and a hairdryer. A kettle with sufficient sachets of tea/coffee and biscuits meant we did not have to go down to the pub for an early morning cuppa.

The next morning we were treated to a full home cooked Irish breakfast and there was plenty of cereals, fresh fruit and rolls. On Saturday evening we tried the "pub grub" and had a great steak with fresh vegetables and potatoes.

The place filled up with locals from early on and then at about 21.00hrs a duo called the Diamond Sisters entertained the crowd. I have to say that even though our room overlooked the main square we did not hear any noise from the disco that apparently went on until 02.00hrs !

All in all - if you are looking for modern, comfortable accommodation in Millstreet - try the Wallis Arms, you won't go wrong !

Stayed February 2007

Been to Wallis Arms? Share your experiences!