“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Greenways Hotel

You added Greenways Hotel to your Saves list
Greenways Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 1 Torquay Avenue | Upper Claremont / Bishops Court, Claremont 7708, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Claremont
york
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family have stayed here on several occasions over the last fifteen years when visiting from the U.K. - each time has been exactly what we needed and expected : a safe,really comfortable,easy,fun,accessible and attractive location.Greenways is a beautiful Cape Town house,typical of its period : grand with lovely large gardens with an excellent (large) pool.The staff are friendly and helpful - we spent two days doing nothing but chilling by the pool being served food and drinks;bliss.It felt like staying at one of our friends country houses - except with better weather and not really like being in a hotel.Once you have your bearings getting to city centre or trendy beaches is easy.....also near some acclaimed restaurants you must try (we did....one on a vineyard was the best I have been to in years of visits)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was fortunate enough to stay in this gracious colonial hotel for two nights during a business trip to Cape Town. Besides the beautiful gardens and stylish building, the most impressive was the friendly staff. The welcome by the the owners were friendly and sincere, reception staff efficient and always smiling, and nothing was asked too much from the waiters - always smiling and eager to please. The large room was comfortable and the even bigger bathroom - a pleasure. Breakfast on the stoep overlooking the lush gardens was delicious. The location is perfect - easy access to the M3 and M5.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Gaynore and I had a fabulous stay at Greenways. The service and courteous manner of the staff made our stay most amazing. We have used Greenways for other events before and we knew the level of service is very high but staying there took us to a completely different level. We felt nothing short of royalty. Greenways is warm, luxurious and exquisite! I will really recommend this boutique hotel for travellers looking for tuck away luxury in the midst of the beautiful city of Cape Town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Susanne and Thomas do welcome her guests with a great pleasure and care about everything and everybody. Just wonderful and friendly. Go there if you wanna have a stunning English garden with wonderful trees ! :) Everything is very clean and well prepared for a good stay. They serve over 20 handmade jams at breakfast buffet. Cool! Perfect beds.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I recently went on a family visit with our 2 children to Cape Town. We found Greenways to be full of old world charm. If you are looking for a modern hotel with every screw in the right place and 24 hour room service, then go elsewhere. But if you are looking for calm and tranquility in magnificent grounds, with superb service go to this hotel. The mantra for management training for staff must be 'always smile, be happy, helpful and go out of your way to make guests happy'. And that is how the service is.
The hotel is well situated and in close driving distance of everything you may want to see in Cape Town. The restaurant is first class. It is small and intimate so you should discuss your booking at least in the morning to give the chef time to prepare what pleases you. Breakfat is AAA+ and we never experienced such a wonderful selection of home made jams.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Greenways
Coming through the gate and heading up the beautiful driveway we already knew that we would love it and we were proven to be absolutely right. Everything from the warm welcome to the delicious breakfast in the mornings to the mouth-watering dinners at the restaurant, cosy evenings at the fireplace, good wines, the willingness to consider all kinds of special requests, be it food- or otherwise made us feel so good and well taken care of, almost like a family member. And here, we're not yet mentioning the beautiful park and the lovely interior decoration of this boutique hotel. We found so much care and attendance in this beautiful ambience that we wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Knysna, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

African hospitality, German efficiency, and the grace of the Cape – man, if that isn’t a recipe for rare and exceptional, then what is?

I spent three nights at Greenways, and it was terribly hard to drag myself away on the final morning. My rooms (they put me in the Clivia suite – separate and generously large lounge and bedroom) were comfortable without being intimidatingly over decorated, and the bathroom was superb – everything thought of and thought through.

But there’s no point in going on and on about the facilities, the extensive gardens, the huge swimming pool, the evocative architecture, the impeccable interiors – as wonderful as they are – because what really makes Greenways different is its people.

As a tourism professional myself, I am perhaps overly critical, but I couldn’t fault the staff of Greenways in any way at all. Every single one of them – from receptionist to night auditor, landscaper to waitress – was genuinely friendly (but without being familiar), and every one of them showed that they cared for their guests.

I put this down to great recruitment, and even better training. In fact the hotel’s managing director told me that the staff spends most of the quiet winter months in training, and – having had to listen so often to so many hotel owners boasting about the millions they spend on refurbishment and decorating - this was way, way more impressive.

And the results show.

The restaurant – Ashton’s – is open to guests and the public. I ate in every night. Being vegetarian was no problem (it often is in carnivorous South Africa) - and on the third night, since I didn’t want what was on the menu, I asked if I could perhaps have a stir fry?

“Of course!” And it was damned good.

And by the way – try the jams at breakfast. The hotel makes its own: 115 varieties, they told me.

I was in Cape Town for a conference, and Greenways is conveniently situated for a quick 10 minute drive to the convention centre (as long as you avoid rush hour). But it also felt a lot like home, and I found that I was able to relax more than I would normally when I’m away on business like that.

Also, Beauty, the hotel’s cat. Please, give her a petting for me? She’s as sweet natured and friendly as everyone else I met there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main lawn - you'll feel like you're looking out on paradise