“Not sure how it's retained 5 stars” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Greenways Hotel

You added Greenways Hotel to your Saves list
Greenways Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 1 Torquay Avenue | Upper Claremont / Bishops Court, Claremont 7708, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Claremont
“Not sure how it's retained 5 stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We recently attended a function at the "5 star" Greenways hotel. The setting is very pretty and the main house has lots of charm. Sadly the levels of attention(or lack thereof) from the owner were not up to 5 star standard. As it was an evening function for 40 professional guests - I would have thought an ideal time to lay on the charm and live up to the standard expected of a 5 star establishment. I can only highlight the attempt by the duty manager to save the day. With so many choices - Doubt we would return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pretoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Greenways is definitely a beautiful place surrounded by a lush garden and is what I perceive as a converted manor home. It has so much to offer the eye with its ornate furnishings and artwork. The service was impeccable. Definitely a repeat stay. Though the location was a bit confusing and I ended up driving around a bit but the destination was worth it.

• Stayed September 2011
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had our wedding reception and lunch at Greenways and chose it as a venue for our celebration. We know Cape Town well, have lived in this beautiful city for decades and had sampled other distinguished hotels. Looking back at the fantastic time we and our guests had at Greenways we are sure of having chosen the best. Not only was the food served under the magnificent white Berber-like tent excellent, the service to the point, quick and attentive but what made the day was the vista over the immaculate lawns into that backdrop of a magnificent well kept garden and park. We had the hotel for us and some guests and found the old Manor house and its rooms very special in its privacy and the accommodation without a flaw. Things can go wrong with nearly 70 guest having their expectations. Nothing went wrong here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

What a great place! Great staff, spacious rooms and an awesome setting. We have been traveling with our 11 month old baby and enjoyed the personal touch and space.Walking around the garden and sitting on the patio was nice as often one of us had to stay with the baby in the room when he was sleeping. The food was reasonably priced and well prepared/served (even in the room when ordering roomservice)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My wife and I got married at Greenways Hotel on the 5th May 2012. This 5 star boutique hotel deserves seven stars if such a thing existed. In all my 53 years of life and travelling, I have never - yes never, come across such an amazing hotel and such awesome staff. This hotel is everything you could wish for and has the most helpful and caring staff in the universe. Nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way over and over again to ensure that our celebrations went off without a hitch. This beautiful, yet old world charm hotel and magnificent grounds lends itself to any celebration. The rooms are not ultra modern rooms and are decorated in an alternative way. The whole establishment oozes warmth and is not a flashy square box hotel. They are comfortable, clean and spacious. All the staff are unobtrusive, yet professional and helpful way beyond the norm. The food was out of this world and all our guests without exception heaped praise on the venue, the staff and the food. At breakfast the next morning, my wife and I discussed our wedding and the venue. We rated every aspect of Greenways and could not find fault with any aspect. This is truly an amazing hotel with even more amazing staff. If ever there was a celebration and venue which was close to perfect, then our wedding at Greenways was it. Our guests are still talking about the wonderful venue. My wife and I both highly recommend Greenways.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SusanneCapeTown, Owner at Greenways Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear wedding couple,

thank you for affording the time to write such a raving comment about your function and your stay! A comment like this does sooo much for the motivation of our team! Greenways Hotel and especially its staff tries to exceed expectations and it's great so see when everything really works out. With outdoor functions the weather plays a crucial role, but our venue seems to be under a good star. We look forward to welcoming you at your many anniversaries.

Kind regards
Susanne
Plettenberg Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel on agoda.com. The pictures of the hotel and room looked really nice. On arrival at the hotel , we noted the 5 star accolade at the entrance and were looking forward to our 4 night stay.At reception , I first asked to see the room before checking in ( coming from the hotel industry this is my standard protocol ) We were shown a room type which I had not booked , and when questioned was told by the receptionist that we had been given an upgrade ! Upgrade what a disappointment . To put it bluntly the hotel is run down and grubby and in need of a serious revamp , it gets away with this by marketing it as 'Old World Charm '. I cancelled the booking, as the rate charged for the accommodation far exceeded the standard offered. I was then told by the manageress that Agoda will charge us for 1 nights accommodation - she would not reverse the charge. As a consumer I find this a violation , as I did not make use of the product. We left the hotel and drove down the road to The Vineyard Hotel. This was fantastic , literally the same rate, professional,recently revamped and great value for money. Now this I recommend !

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
SusanneCapeTown, Owner at Greenways Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
thank you for affording the time to write this comment.

Your evaluation is rather different from our regular, upmarket guests at Greenways Hotel, of which many return year after year, some for more than a decade. They would strongly object to replace the beautiful Burmese teak floors with laminated flooring, the original oil paintings with modern art or prints, the chandeliers with spotlights or to replace the genuine antiques with modern furniture. My guests also appreciate the value of a really antique hand woven and hand printed linen curtain in the library.

In almost all evaluations Greenways Hotel is regarded good value for money, therefore I cannot understand you regard a special, last minute, winter rate of R 620 per person, incl. breakfast, free internet, complimentary minibars in the rooms a rip-off. The word grubby is an insult to my housekeeping staff who are often praised by our guests for their pride in their work and their diligence.

The fact that you first wanted to have a look at the allocated room, before allowing my staff to unload your luggage from your car, makes me wonder whether you ever had the intention to stay at Greenways Hotel.

I also have to ask if you had posted this comment if I had agreed to waive the legally agreed cancellation fee as you requested in your phone call after your "5 minute visit" to Greenways Hotel.

I strongly recommend for the future to read terms and conditions, cancellation policies, etc. as hotel bookings are sometimes not refundable at all. The same applies for airlines. Did you ever feel violated as a consumer by an airline, because they charged you for changing your flights, did you ever miss a flight or wanted to cancel because you didn't like the colour of the seats?

Please allow me one last comment: Being from the hotel industry you will be aware that positive feedback is of utter importance for the staff, hence I am still missing your (hopefully very positive) comment concerning the Vineyard Hotel. Their staff and their management deserves it.

Kind regards from a beautiful Cape Town in autumn

Susanne Faussner
The Hague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I recently stayed at Greenways hotel, it is a beautiful deluxe property.It is a small boutique hotel with excellent and comfortable rooms. They have a wonderful outdoor pool and beautiful grounds.
I loved the decor, it had a warm feeling, very homey. Having dinner in the Ashton restaurant is very recommended, very good food and the services was excellent. If I return to Cape Town I will defianlty go to Greenways again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Greenways Hotel? Share your experiences!