“Worst restaurant meal EVER” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 21 Restaurants in Claremont
Cuisines: African, Continental, Fondue, Family Fare
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ashton's at greenways offers you fine dining cuisine in an elegant and relaxing environment. whether you choose to dine al fresco on the terrace overlooking beautifully manicured gardens or prefer the cosy setting of our wood panelled dining room, ashton's menu promises to deliver the freshest south african ingredients in an array of innovative dishes.Ashton's is also ideal place for families, they kids love the croquet, the jungle gym and their own kiddies menu.In summer order a delicious picnic basket from ashtons and relax on the lawn on a picnic blanket or have your picnic at one of the tables provided on the lawn. ashton's at greenways is all about the dining experience and we encourage you to join us in our original cigar library for a pre-dinner drink or nightcap where you can enjoy our collection of single malt whiskeys.open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ashton's is also available for intimate dinner parties and private functions, or simply stop by for a leisurely afternoon tea.
Sydney
“Worst restaurant meal EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We booked for a group of 9 for dinner. The food was overcooked and inedible. The meals were obviously kept warm in an oven as the meat and mashed potato was hard and dry. We could tap our cutlery on the hard mashed potato which had a brown, toasted crust on it from being kept warm. Service was slow and poor. 8 of us had completed our meal, and then I had to ask for hubby's meal which had still not arrived. To add insult to injury when bill arrived we had been overcharged. We did not bother to challenge it as we could not wait to get out of there, especially as a serving of mains and dessert took more than 2 hours. Only redeeming feature was lovely patio overlooking the garden.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
SusanneCapeTown, Owner at Ashton's Restaurant at Greenways Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Laffey,

thank you for affording your time to post this review. I had wished that you had posted this review earlier and not almost 5 weeks after your unhappy experience, which took place on the 3rd of January.

The first 2 weeks in January are sometimes very challengingin the hospitality industry in South Africa, as some staff members implement their New Year's resolutions (one of the obviously being: "get a new job") with immediate effect and disappear without giving a single day notice.

I can assure you that mangement and staff worked very hard with limited resources over the beginning of January and it is not very motivating to read such a review weeks later, after having in the meantime hosted very successfully multiple big weddings, birthdays, breakfasts, conferences, big band boogaloo (300 guests), lunch for SA - German Chamber of commerce with almost 100 guests. All in all we hosted over the last 5 weeks more than 1300 guests with an hotel occupancy close to 90%.

I apologise for your unhappy experience at Ashton's @ Greenways. Should you be back in Cape Town in the future, please contact me and I will try to convince you that also you can have a great experience at Ashton's @ Greenways. We are also very aware of the fact that "no guest of today is interested how exellent the food and the service was yesterday", as only today counts.

Kind regards
Susanne

A TripAdvisor Member
“Very disappointingly dinner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We booked to have dinner at Greenways a week in advance and specified that there would be 3 vegaterians at the table. We arrived to a beautiful setting; lovely building and beautiful garden.
The service was good, but the food ended up being a total disappointment.

Firstly, on the website menu there were a few vegaterian options, yet on the actual menu there was only one.
The portions were laughable for the amount that they cost.
The vegetarian food was dry and tasteless.

Wouldn't recommend eating at Greenways to anyone that enjoys good food.

Dublin, Ireland
“Worst meal in 15 years of going to Cape Town”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I've been a bit lazy about posting in last few years. Today's meal was so poor I feel the need to warn people of what to expect. Menu offered 2 vegetarian courses for R135 with a small carafe of wine. Ditto for meat at R175. Monday to Friday. We ordered. Big discussion ensues on whether we could get this offer. Time passes waiter confirms offer is available. I order the only vegetarian main courses. Husband orders. Waiter returns to advise that Butternut squash risotto is not available due to lack of butternut. I was offered Calamari risotto instead. Fine. I can manage that,
My salad starters arrives. No dressing. I ask for oil & vinegar. Waiter disappears & comes back some time later to advise that the restaurant has no Olive oil. Really? I would never have ordered a salad without dressing. I soldier on. Husband soldiers on with his very mediocre goat's cheese tart. Mains arrive. Husband's Maigret du Carnet ordered medium turned into very over cooked duck confit with a sides of very sad potato & butternut Squash. Hmmm. The elusive butternut squash that was not available for my risotto. Strange? discussion with chef ensues. My alternative main was calamari risotto. Calamari was tough as old boots. We explain our dis satisfaction to our waiter. Chef cooks duck again. Significantly better (edible) & actually duck breast. But still less well cooked than I could do it myself. Waiter doing his best & doing far too much apologising. We asked for the bill. My R135 menu had become R175. I queried. Waiter explained that the R135 menu was not on the system. We paid & made a run for it (to a local pizza joint & husband still hungry)stopping only for a trip to the ladies. No toilet paper. Surprised? No. Lunch was a joke. Beware.

Visited January 2014
“5 star hotel, no star restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were here to celebratie our anniversery, 12,5 years with our kids. We made reservations. The restaurant was in the top 10 of childfriendly restaurants in Capetown, thats why we chosen it. We arrive at 7, there was nobody in the restaurant, we asked are we the only one? We only saw 1 guest, she was in the hotel. The menu was empty what I received from the waiter. We ordered wine, the wine was not available. We ordered An other wine that was a good one, later we ordered and 2nd bottle the wine was warm. For the children there were only two choices. The playgarden was scary because of the birds, a dog was in the restaurants terrace. We ordered the food, the starter was very fine. But the maincourse was really bad. We ordered grilled t-bone, rare and we got very Well done beef what was cooked and baked. The waiter brought it back, and came later with the new dish, but again the same. We asked for the chef, he was not amused, he growned, we said, that This is not what we ordered. He said it was was exactly what we ordered. Discussion was not possible because he was right. He suggest that we take springbok. That was not my kind of taste but it was ok. The desserts were also ok, we ordered cheeseplatter with red port. The port was not ok anymore. While we were paying the check our waiter told us the chef was gone since 2 weeks. The waiter did his best, this new chef deserved not our compliments, the same as the owners of the hotel,we didn't see. The hotel looks fine, the place is beautiful.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“The best ever yearend Xmas work function”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

what a real five star hotel great food, beautiful view and venue. luxiurious in every way. i highly recommend the Greenways hotel.

• Visited December 2013