“Not as good as it was” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
out rawcliffe
“Not as good as it was”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Barn used to be wonderful. The food always spot on, service great, shop well stocked as well as the plant department. Over the last few years it has changed and sadly not for the better. The gift shop is great, the building still quirky, plants virtually nil, food has totally gone down the drain compared to what it was. Today I had a baguette which was fine(I no longer eat the hot food here after having several meals which were not up to par) nothing to write home about but ok, followed by panettone bread and butter pudding with custard. The lady sitting at the table in front of me turned around and asked what it was like as it looked so good and I had to admit it was tasteless and hadn't been helped by the microwaving. She added that they were disappointed too. The coffee is good here and the sandwiches ok but that is as far as it goes, if you are wanting something more, sadly you may be better going elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent ! Glad I ignored comments on here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Went wed 9 th jan 2013 extremely busy at lunch but was still served very quickly ! Excellent meal , lovely friendly staff and esspecially loved the fresh home made scones
Can't recommend this place highly enough
Been to a few eating establishments in garstang and surrounding area , but none has come to the high standard and warm atmosphere of the barn @ scorton ! Deffinately worth a visit
Will make it a regular lunch spot

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Preston
“Have I visited the wrong place?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family and I have just returned from The Barn at Scorton. I am not accustomed to writing reviews (there are far too many charlatans) but I was so impressed on this occasion I decided to take the plunge. Upon visiting the Barn looking for any post Christmas bargains in the shop the food smelt so delicious we decided to indulge. Our meals were absolutely delicious. I logged on to this site and wondered if I had been to the same establishment! The one thing other reviewers have all agreed on is that it is very busy. An accolade in itself in these tough times particularly for the hospitaility industry. My husband and I both selected the hotpot (if I had read these reviews first I probably would not have, so I'm pleased I didn't). I am Oldham born and bred and was brought up with traditional Lancashire dishes. All I can say is excellent. The vegetables were just right and the meat was plentiful (and I liked the pastry!). Judging by the number of hotpots they appeared to be serving on a cold January day others clearly felt likewise. The comment about it being tatty is unfair. The Barn is a unique establishment, combining the shop, the nursery and the cafe. Yes, it doesn't have the formality of linen table cloths and there may be mismatched chairs in the cafe area but for me this is a big part of its charm,it is "rustic", homely and informal. It may have taken a few minutes for our table to be cleared but given that it was so busy it was not an issue and with full tummies and a warm glow (from the fire) we were in no hurry to depart. All in all a great meeting place to chill and relax - I will definitely be returning (with the girls) and hopefully enjoy a chinwag, a frothy coffee and one of their tempting scones. Go with an open mind, give the place a whirl - I have no doubt you will, like me, want to return! Daralyn W.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“what a great day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

well myself and family have some very bad news over the festive period so today saturday we as a family decided to venture out i suggested to my wife lets visit the barn its been many years since i last was there as we arrived in scorton the memorys flooded back well it still looks the same as we went in the coffee shop we was greeted by the owner i think i felt made very welcome it was busy and alot of people milling around but they asked us iff we was dining and we was shown to our table the menus was there for us and may i say so much to choose from well i had the hotpot bloody filling aswell it was GOOD my family had other things and i just felt they could not do enough for us well i will be visiting them again and a big thankyou to the owners and staff well done to you all

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Bury, United Kingdom
“Oh dear! What a let down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

On New Years Day, whilst enjoying a drive around Lancashire, we popped into the Barn at Scorton, where we had previously had just a drink. With few places open, we thought this would be an ideal place for something more substantial. As the place was full, no doubt others thought so too.
First signs were not good. The large table, which also had another couple on it, had not been properly wiped, and old crockery was still there.
We ordered two Hot Pots, and a Pimms for my partner, as an unseasonal surprise. The Pimms arrived straight from the bottle, with no accompanying fruit. Not good!
After 30 minutes, the food finally arrived. My partner does not enjoy pastry toppings (which wasn't on the menu), and so removed it to find beneath, one piece of meat amongst potatoes, some of which were undercooked. Being too dry, she asked for some gravy. This finally arrived....when she was taking her last mouthful. No apology for the delay.
The food, for £7.95 was a huge disappointment, tasteless and definitely not worth the money.
The other couple, who had ordered before us, were still awaiting their meal. They asked more than once where it was, to eventually be asked on three occasions what they had ordered! 15 minutes later it finally arrived for them as we were about to leave. They were not amused!
The place looks like it needs a damn good clean up, and the staff need organising in some sort of way, for it appears that no-one knows what they are doing.
Like other reviewers, we shall not be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere