“A little piece of heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lake Cleveleymere

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scorton
The Lake Cleveleymere
You added The Lake Cleveleymere to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Cleveley Mere, Cleveley Bank Lane, Scorton PR3 1BY, England   |
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“A little piece of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just back from an amazing chilled out weekend in the Huf Haus celebrating my husbands birthday. The accommodation was first class furnished to a very high standard in a tranquil setting. Loved the rowing boats and pedalo you can't beat being sat in the middle of the lake on a sunny afternoon........perfect ! Roger was the perfect host so attentive he really couldn't do enough for us from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. Alex was gross fun during our clay pigeon shot. Loved toasting marshmallows on the fire pit and the constant stream of ducks outside our lodge. A quacking time was had by all, we will definitely be back thanks to you all !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Roger B, Owner at The Lake Cleveleymere, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for writing the review , glad you found the Huf Apartment 'perfect' ...This lodge has been so popular with some guests coming several times a year .I think because its just so different and having such amazing south facing waters edge views across our lake Perhaps hint to your husband to book the 5* Gold lakeside tree house he has to top this stay you have had ...Really pleased you had a ball , please come back soon ..Very Kind Regards & thank you again .. Roger

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We spent two blissful days at Otter Lodge which comfortably accommodated us & two other couples. Roger, his family and the Cleverley Mere team are wonderfully hospitable and it is unfathomable that previous reviewers think it appropriate to make such insensitive, ungracious & above all, inaccurate comments about someone working hard to ensure his guests make the most of their stay. The lodges are well equipped and individually furnished to a very high standard with great attention to detail. All properties look out across a picturesque lake stocked with rainbow trout. The variety of wildfowl is a delight. The ducks visit when called - ensure you have bread or grain to give them - and they do as they are told when you want them to return to the lake. Alec the gamekeeper has been there longer than anyone and has plenty of stories to tell. He helped one of our party to bag several trout and guided the three men to shoot a few clays out of the sky using a range of shotguns. We rowed boats across the lake and toasted complimentary marshmallows over a fire pit in the woods by moonlight on our last night. Before departing, Roger showed us around three of the other lodges. Otter was suitable for our party of three couples or equally groups with older children.  Badger Lodge is the same size as Otter but with 4 bunks in one of the bedrooms which would be great for families with younger children. Fin Lodge has the look and feel of a ski chalet commanding views across the lake and finally, we marvelled at the Tree House which had a setting all of its own. It sleeps 4 with a master en suite double bedroom downstairs & twin beds on a mezzanine. I'd be happy to share the accommodation as a group of 4 adults but equally, families with children could spend most of their break in & around the Tree House with its rope bridge, raised decking and private jetty. Each of us experienced at least one new activity during our all-too-brief stay. We filled all of our time whilst leaving feeling completely relaxed. Cleverley Mere will go from strength to strength and I have no doubt the 6 of us will be visiting again very soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very kind review I am so glad you all had a brilliant time .Alec the Game keeper
( who has worked here 30+ years ) commented what a nice group your were .I know you are trying to come New Year , do try or come and see us in the beginning of the year perhaps Easter .I was glad you tried all the activities on site I always am adding things to surprise repeat guests.Get the guys to try rifle shooting next time it is really different using proper rifles and any body could win ..Thank you for the very kind review again ...Very Best Wishes.. Roger
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The wife booked this as a birthday getaway for myself and 9 month old baby boy and it did not disappoint.

We were greeted on arrival by Roger and his team who offered us a very informative overview of the Lake and surroundings - all very picturesque.

We were shown to the Woodsman Lodge which was the last lodge down the track - and also the smallest. The wife was a bit sceptical about what to expect having passed the other (more substantially sized) Lodges on the way. However, it didn't disappoint. It was a perfect size for the 3 of us and the way the space was utilised and accompanied by the decor was excellent. The complimentary Wine, Chocolates and Eggs were a lovely touch. Pity about the wi-fi as advertised but it didn't matter as you got a 3G signal everywhere around the site.

The ground was quite wet during our visit and our son wasn't feeling on top form so aside from a visit to Blackpool Zoo and Pleasure Beach (half an hour away) we didn't really experience much of the Lakeside activities other than what we saw during a brief walk.

We would definitely visit again and would not hesitate to stay in the Woodsman or perhaps sample the Minnows Lodge as a change.

Thanks again
Mike & Lynne

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mick & Lynn , Thank you for your very kind review ....I am so glad you enjoyed yourselves.The waterside Woodsman is getting a lot of repeat guests already although it only opened in April .I think its high standard with it solid oak flooring and the amazing waters edge position does help .You feel as though you are on your own with no other lodge in view and been set in woodland does help. Please try and re visit us again it a shame your son was not on top form at least he saw what was on offer try and come in the summer next year if you can .Keep well... Very Best Regards ...Roger
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Having been to The Lake three times, and about to go for a fourth, I felt it time to share my thoughts.
I love this place, and will not tire of telling my friends and family about it and urging them to stay too. Several have already.
There are six lodges, Huf Haus, Fin Lodge, Minows, Tree House, Badgers Lodge and Woodsmans Lodge. I stayed in Huf Haus first, followed by Fin, Tree House and about to try Minows.
Each has been finished to high standards, with the Tree House even being on TV.
Every detail has been thought of, books, games, magazines, binoculars, torches, eggs (from resident chickens) wine, chocs, slippers, robes, dvd's, wellies, bikes, kindling for fires, marshmallows, lawn games, and even more not to mention the boats but I just can't list everything.
You needn't go far if you just want to relax as you can enjoy the scenery from inside or out, or enjoy walking or biking around the lake.
I haven't experienced the fishing or clay shooting but I've been on the boats which are great fun.
The service is wonderful and you couldn't ask for more helpful staff, anything you need they will do their best to get for you.
I could write an essay about this place but I think it's safe to say we can't wait to go in October for Halloween and will continue to visit for many years to come.
Janine and John, with Liam (13) and Keira (7).

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for your review I really appreciate it & thank you for your regular stays with us I am sure you will see lots more new things again added to the site when you come in October.Its nice to have really nice regular guests like your selves coming year upon year.
Kettering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

On arrival we were met by Roger, quickly followed by the different ducks and geese, a nice greeting. We were then shown to the tree house and had "the talk". Although informative, I do agree with a previous review, it went on too long and it was unnecessary to read and elaborate on everything in the information pack, even reading out things the visitors book (yawn). If we wanted more info on any of the restaurants or places to go we would have asked but had already decided what we were doing before our arrival.
The tree house is finished to a good standard, it has two bedrooms, one bathroom off the double bedroom and a toilet with hand basin off the twin bedroom. The tree house is compact, I would say two adults with two younger children at the most. Definitely too small for 4 adults.
It is in a lovely setting with its own rowing boat. The lake can be seen through the trees making it a relaxing place to be. Yes, there is road noise, the M6 motorway is close by but we live on a busy road so it didn't bother us.
The one disappointment, there is no wi-fi zone as advertised, we tried various places including at the reception as advised but there was nothing. Also you don't get the champagne as pictured but a basic white wine (just so you are not disappointed).

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet tranquil setting please be advised there is noise from the M6.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger B, Owner at The Lake Cleveleymere, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for the review.
This is the 1st time that I had to ring our guests just to confirm in disbelieve that this was a true review & not spoof especially marking us 3 out of 5 for the 5* gold lakeside tree house .
When I rang to check which guest is was I was shocked & you were very embarrassed and put the phone down on me , very strange I could of been ringing for any reason .Guests are normally blown away with the Tree House. Look again at the amazing TV program on our website on the home page to see what sort of reactions we normally get & including the reaction you & your guests gave me when I first showed you the accommodation and feedback on checkout that's why i read this not thinking it was yourselves.
Perhaps it was the ''yawn comment'' you made( i would be embarrassed also) is the reason you hung up on me. The ONE disappointment as you have said in this review was the W-Fi and it is its free in our advertised Wi-Fi zone .The list on the website of each lodge clearly says what is FREE & the Wi-FI area is stated clearly it is a zone in reception which is 100% signal and bollinger champagne can be had as an extra cost why do you think its included? , if I park my car in front of a lodge & a picture is taken is that included also..?? Perhaps its not suitable for your ages up to 64 as your profile says. I agree the Tree House is what it is quirky , different ,modern, spiral staircases , rope bridges, (Visit Britain top award of 5* Gold) not a normal wood lodge that's why I think its so popular.Perhaps one of our other 5* lodges which is more traditional & a lot bigger would have been better suited.....

I wish you well but perhaps in future stick to the traditional pubs & B& B you have reviewed before us.

We try very hard to please every one which I know cannot be done !!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We came here for our honeymoon and it was everything we could ask for and more. Roger is the perfect host and the otters lodge is simply wonderful. We will be going back next year with our little boy as feel it's a perfect retreat for not only couples but for families too.

• Stayed September 2013
Roger B, Owner at The Lake Cleveleymere, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review - I am so glad you had a nice time , even though we seem to run full all the time the site is big enough to feel as though you are on your own and specially been on your honey moon .I know you tried a few of the local restaurants and did most of the free activities ..Please come with your son when you can we will make sure you all have a ball , lots of things for him to do and pick up some free fishing nets as well...Really look forward to seeing you soon you were a fab couple ..Kind Regards Roger
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Excellent, perfect in every way. Dream vacation....the owner,roger was so hospitable. The setting around the lake was idilic. So much to do... Biking around the lake. Walks with adventuring finding the quirky dens, summer houses, orchards and zip wires in the park. The boat moored in our very own boat shed to row around the lake. Inside the treehouse was total luxury, no expense spared.
The wildlife was even friendly, with the swans and ducks accompanying us while out and about. A perfect place for anyone to visit, we will go again.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Roger B, Owner at The Lake Cleveleymere, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hi Joanne, Really appreciate your very kind review glad you found it a 'Dream vacation' its so nice to have guests who enjoy all the 5* lodges & free activities.The staff we have I understand are a nice part of the experience Alec my Game keeper /Grounds man has been here for 30+ years & Amanda our Head House keeper been here 6+ years . Please come and see us again soon especially with the rest of the family..Thanks again ..Very best wishes.. Roger & crew

Been to The Lake Cleveleymere? Share your experiences!