“Excellent lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

As usual the best lunch, delicious soup, BBQ pulled pork and great choice of cakes for dessert. Our waitress told me they would be serving rotisserie chicken form next week and if it's anywhere near as good as lunch today we can't wait. Very good service. Still the best place in Hale for lunch.

• Visited March 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“It's one of my favourites......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

brought my mum for an early Mother's Day lunch and was not disappointed. The choice is fnatastic and everything so fresh and well presented. As always I was spoilt for choice with the sandwich menu, but our server recommended the pulled pork so we went with that and were not disappointed.
Love the fact that they serve tea in vintage pots with mis-matched china :)
Choosing a cake was equally challenging; would have happily tried them all, but in the end settled for a kind of fruity, crumbly flapjack concoction and the biggest piece of victoria sandwich I've seen in a long time.
We sat upstairs, which was busy as usual, but didn't feel crowded and wren't rushed by staff, which was lovely. Like the fact that there's plenty of books, magazines, papers, etc to read and while away the time while you wait for your food, which is never long anyway.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good fare, nice alternative to Costa for breakfast, but sever need to smile!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I live in Hale village, wihin 60 seconds walk from this place. Our regular family breakfast at the weekend is Costa, which is good for the family with our pram, with lots of space. But when in on my own I often go to Gastronomy instead, which we can't do otherwise as its up some stairs. The quality of the food is definitely better than Costa, and the bacon roll and Ermintrude beef Sarnie are great. The fare is more pricey overall, but worth it. But like other reviewers have said, you don't feel particularly welcomed and service with a smile it ain't. Its also on the slow side. We went there when it first opened in 2010 and a lady there made us feel very welcome ,even when our (then v young) daughter threw up! But having been back several times, I can only assume that this was "launch" effort, because its not what you get now.
It also feels a bit like a place where a few groups of people meet up and is often full up with people who seem to camp there around a table for a good while! They say it seats 42 upstairs, but I doubt that personally. I'd say more like 20 -25 comfortably as any more would feel cramped to me. There is space downstairs and a couple of pavement tables too though.
Summary, good, but as a local who sees a lot of the local eateries etc, the reviews on tripadvisor seem to seriously over-egg this place. Not sure why, but it may be that because it attached to a deli, there's an instinctive feeling that it must be good. It's not bad, but it isn't all that

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Top Draw!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great service, lovely choice of sandwiches, well priced, lovely surroundings - top draw. Please open one in London!

• Visited January 2013
Chester
“Great place for coffee and cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Took my family here for coffee and cakes on Saturday. They have a wide variety of beautiful homemade cakes, not the usual mass produced rubbish that you get in many coffee shops. My wife had a loose leaf tea called "Skinny" but could of chosen from several, the rest of us had some great coffees.
The staff were so pleasant and accommodating, nothing was too much trouble.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited November 2012