“Brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars

Macclesfield Road | Rushton Spencer, Rushton Spencer SK11 0SE, England
01260 226219
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Traditional country pub offering great beer and a delicious menu of pub classics and specials, with great service. Families welcome, lovely beer garden and great atmosphere.
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Came here on a Wednesday night after a day trip to Alton towers with the kids, excellent food. I had a double cheese and bacon burger that was very nice and my wife had venison of the specials that was cooked to perfection! I live in Manchester so is quite away from mine but I will certainly be visiting again! The bar lady was pleasant and very polite and the whole experience was defiantly 10 out of 10. They even had a large toy box for the kids, Brilliant!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
“Truth time...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am sorry to say this place is very average borderline poor, the reason why i'm sorry is because its within my local catchment area so I want to enjoy The Royal Oak on a regular basis, but sadly I won't be a customer again. The reasons are sticky menus, not properly cleaned tableware or tables, background music being drowned out by staff/owner watching TV out the back, over blase waiter who clearing didn't want to really be there, although he did enjoy rolling his fags at the bar,synthetic bought puddings, the chips were potatoes cut into quarters then fried more like massive wedges and they were full of black bruises. It was lousy, miserable and old fashioned. Yawn very dull and boring, no atmosphere whatsoever. I just don't get why the previous reviews are excellent, makes me wonder if they are slightly embellished by the owner?

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Biddulph, United Kingdom
“Lovely food in a traditional setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Went with my partner and his mother last year and loved it. It is a very traditional pub, the kind we seem to be losing too many of and, although there were quite a few locals around the bar area, you didn't feel out of place at all. We were greeted in a friendly manner and shown to a table after ordering our drinks. The menu was full of good, hearty meals. They all sounded lovely so it was quite hard to choose. However, two of us settled for homemade steak pie and, the other, a fish dish. All were beautifully presented on piping hot plates and tasted wonderfully delicious. The service throughout was friendly but professional and the atmosphere, convivial. I'm afraid I can't comment on the desserts as we were all too full to try them. Maybe next time.
Since this visit my partner's mother has been with her church social group and they couldn't sing The Royal Oak's praises highly enough. She said, even though it was Christmas when they went, and therefore very busy, everything was just as perfect as when we had visited previously. A lovely old pub well worth a visit.

Visited July 2011
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Favourite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Great home cooked food. Big portions. Never had a bad meal. Lovely roaring log fires.

Visited May 2012
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Best food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We were looking for a pub after doing the lake walk. Delightful pub with efficient service but most importantly delicious food. Recommend the specials board and the fish and chips. Will be returning.

• Visited May 2012