“Great views over Naples Bay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Angiolieri

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Angiolieri to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Angiolieri
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Santa Maria Vecchia 2, 80066 Seiano, Vico Equense, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Seiano
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great views over Naples Bay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We needed a base to explore Pompeii & Vesuvius. Initially we looked at Naples itself but were put off by warnings to unwary travellers so felt the Sorrentine peninsula would suit us better. We booked our holiday at the last minute & were struggling to find suitable accommodation in Sorrento so came across the Grand Hotel Angiolieri instead. As was a theme on our holiday it was important there was car parking available - even more so on the hilly peninsula - and fortunately there was plenty of space below ground.
The hotel is an attractive building & has a stunning location overlooking the bay of Naples across from Vesuvius - it is worth a visit for this alone. The reception staff were friendly & helpful to us - our luggage was dealt with quickly & efficiently. We had booked a Suite of which there are two. These were priced the same & we knew one of them came with a large terrace but it was not possible at the time of booking to specify which of the two suites you got. We were therefore a little disappointed to get the Zeuxo suite with the French balcony. The room itself is nice - with a large lounge area & big comfy bed. The view from the bedroom window/ French balcony is amazing but made us long for an outside space even more. One of the ‘lounge’ room windows overlooks the pool area which was disconcerting as other guests can see in.
To be fair we did not spend a great deal of time in our room. We were there to see Pompeii which is a magical place. The hotel is a short walk from the train station & this proved a great way to get around. Much better than driving!
There is not much else in the immediate vicinity of the hotel as the town of Vico Equense is actually on the next hill. However there is a complimentary shuttle to take you there & the staff were very accommodating in taking us to & from the town one evening. We did take the steep path down to the Marina of Seiano for a look around but to be honest we found it a little run down & did not want to find ourselves there after dark.
The hotel has its own Michelin starred restaurant & this proved the highlight of our stay. We enjoyed it so much we ate there twice. The food was stunning - the waiters were excellent & very friendly. We were celebrating a special occasion so a complimentary cake was brought out at the end of our meal which was a nice surprise & left us stuffed. The breakfast was also excellent - served on the terrace with a wide spread of treats available.
In summary I thought this was a nice hotel with stunning views & a great restaurant on site. I think it does make a nice place to stay & a great base for sightseeing.

Room Tip: I would try to specify your room with the hotel. I think a balcony or terrace would be well worth it...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have just returned from a week at this wonderful hotel with our two (adult) children and, like others, only wish it could have been longer. The hotel is housed in a former convent and is in a splendid position on the cliffs overlooking the Bay of Naples – the spectacular view from the terrace is all that other TripAdvisor correspondents have claimed. The gardens are on various levels and are well worth a wander. There is an infinity pool, again overlooking the bay, with sunbeds and sunshades, and an excellent Michelin-starred restaurant, where we ate on our second night. Our rooms were extremely comfortable and the whole hotel was spotlessly clean. Towels were changed constantly. As for the staff, I cannot praise them too highly; their combination of friendliness and professionalism contributed hugely to making our stay as memorable as it was. Adriana and the other people on duty in Reception responded promptly, courteously and helpfully to all our requests and gave us two excellent recommendations for restaurants, one in the Seiano marina below the hotel and one in Positano. Our booking was very much a last-minute one, and having received conflicting information from two late booking websites I finally telephoned the hotel direct and spoke to the Sales and Marketing Manager, Antonello Assante; he had only one room available immediately, but called me back, as promised, within 30 minutes with a solution. He and the owner of the hotel, Signora Balzano, were also quite exceptionally helpful when we had a problem with our rented car. Although the hotel is just outside the town and thus very peaceful, communications are excellent. We had a car, but it was not really necessary, because the hotel shuttle bus makes regular trips both down to the marina and to the town of Vico Equense, and there is a very good train service to Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento etc, as well as boats from the marina to Sorrento and Capri. There is also a (fairly steep) path which starts in front of the little church just outside the hotel entrance and winds down to the marina, coming out in the little piazza. The main beach at the marina is Le Axidie, although we came to prefer Bikini, slightly further away and just the other side of Vico Equense. A word of warning, though; both beaches, like most Italian beaches in August, are private and thus expensive to use. Four lettini (sunbeds) and two ombrelloni (sunshades) will leave you with little change from 100 euros. On the positive side, however, the water is beautifully clear, and the beaches very clean. The hotel reception will give you clean towels each time for both the beach (yellow) and the pool (blue). In conclusion, I can only say that those few TripAdvisor correspondents who have been unhappy with the hotel must be quite extraordinarily difficult to please. No, our week’s stay was not cheap, but it was worth the money; the only thing which we missed was an actual shower in our bathroom (though our children had one in theirs) rather than a handheld shower-head in the (very comfortable) bath, but that is really a very minor point. Such is the peace and comfort of the hotel that, with temperatures as high as they were last week, the temptation is never to venture out at all but simply to relax by the pool all day until it is time for dinner; a number of our fellow-guests had clearly decided to do just this, and it was hard to blame them.

Room Tip: Book through the hotel itself rather than trying to do so through one of the many websites; you can...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

First let me say I travel every week and stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and have been for the last 20 years. I am an easy person but when I pay for 5 stars and get 1 star service that is a problem. I chose this hotel against my better judgement as I read the tripadvisor reviews and I had a feeling there would be problems. As many good reviews there are the bad ones are very telling. When the Director of the Hotel responds in favor of his staff and doesn't understand the customer is always right (eve if they aren't) you have a problem.

We stayed in the hotel for 5 days and the issues just didn't stop..First. the pool. Small and no service. If you need a towel you need to go up 3 flights of stairs and ask the front desk. If you want a drink you need to call on a phone. Nobody comes and asks if you need anything ALL day long. On vacation I like to relax not work for my refreshments. If the Director was smart he would provide service so people would spend more money.

Second, one night I wanted to sit on my balcony and relax with a beer and the pizza i picked up at an amazing place in Vico .As I entered the hotel and headed to my room Antonello the DIrector who is clearly impressed with himself advised me there is no outside food or drink allowed in the rooms. Seriously, this is crazy. I stay at the Four Seasons and have never been told such nonsense.

Third, breakfast is on the terrace with a great view and dreamy but you need to beg for a waiter to get you a coffee or set the table. I sat most mornings for more than 10 mins before anyone even said hello and then I needed to flag them down to order. One day I asked for water as there was none left on the buffet. It never came to the table and the waiter said go inside. Cold eggs and cold coffee everyday as the staff don't know how to use a chafing dish.

Our room was ok nothing overly special. I was lucky to get a classic room with a balcony but the style of this hotel is nothing of a 5star. There are some many chic boutique hotels and this one has no clue.

Clearly the Antonello the Director has never been trained in the service industry as he and his staff are unfriendly and not helpful. Rumor around town is that the hotel is for sale and failing so maybe that's why the staff is so bad.

There are many other issues but you get the idea and as a pro traveler stay as far away form as you can. Clearly the 5 star rating is form the view. Most people who come here it is there once a year vacation and find it an amazing stay but if you want to really have a 5 star experience choose another place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairview, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Please read this full review - it'll be worth your while. I don't usually write reviews, but my experience here was so poor, I'm making time to share this with you. I reserved and pre-paid for 3 nights in their suite (via Expedia). We're talking over $2kUS for 3 nights. The rating for this hotel on multiple websites said 5-star and I booked their best room, so I was expecting to finish our trip in style. Expedia said this suite had a big balcony and showed pictures of the suite with a big terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples.

One day before our arrival at the hotel, I get an email from Expedia saying they were contacted by the hotel & that the room I reserved is not available - we'd be in a garden-view regular room the first night, and our reserved suite nights 2 & 3. No reason was provided in the email. Upon arriving at the hotel the next day, we were told they had a suite available for nights 2 & 3, but it only had a "french balcony" (basically opening a window to look at the bay). The available suite did not have a terrace like the one listed on the Expedia site (the one I reserved). The manager relayed our reservation notification from Expedia went into their "spam folder" and that's why our reserved room wasn't available.

My wife and I stayed 1 night in a Deluxe room and 2 nights in a Jr. Suite. I spent HOURS on the phone with Expedia & visiting the front desk trying to get answers to two simple questions: how much are these rooms and how much is the refund? Expedia's "Elite Plus" customer service is anything but elite. There was one working power plug in each room. The lamp on the terrace didn't work. Some of the items we ordered for room-service breakfast were not delivered...but we were charged for them, the (very small) TV in the Jr. Suite had no stations & took two trips to fix, there was no shower in either room...only a spray-head that splashes water everywhere in the bathroom, beds in both rooms were very hard & uncomfortable, and the AC barely kept the room cool. The maids entered our room for turn-down service while we were out for dinner even though we had the do-not-disturb sign on the door (which worried my wife as she had some jewelry out on the desk...nothing was missing, but we were just a bit surprised that they came in even with the sign on the door). I had so many issues during my 3-day visit, that I admittedly didn't report everything to the hotel. It was supposed to be a vacation, not an exercise in reporting a steady stream of issues to the hotel. A manager at a 5-star hotel would have "worked everything out" with Expedia and let me know about the room rates & refund. A 5-star hotel would have provided a dinner on the house or a discount on the rooms after losing our initial reservation in the spam folder. What did we get from the hotel? They waived a 7-Euro per person charge for one of our room service deliveries and gave us a small plate of fruit.

Nando is the manager of the restaurant, the food is great, and he did a great job taking care of us. The views are amazing from the hotel.

It cost us between 40 and 60-Euro (each way) for a taxi ride between the hotel & Sorrento. Sorrento is amazing - great shopping & unbelievable food. The next time we visit, we'll stay in Sorrento. I won't be doing business with Expedia or this hotel again.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again - pick a hotel in Sorrento
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
assanteantonello, Direttore vendite at Grand Hotel Angiolieri, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review on this web site.

It is really very important for us to know our guest’s opinion to improve our service.

We apologize if the hotel and our service fell the short of expectations.

However, we think that it very important to set the facts straight.

RESERVATION:
We received your reservation made by Expedia.com. You booked a suite for three nights. Usually, we receive our Expedia’s reservation by email. Unfortunately, the email of your reservation went in our “spam” inbox and we didn’t receive it. We do not know the reason because it happened but we immediately informed the Expedia staff. It was not our fault, but something happened between Expedia.com and our email system.
We did not have available the suite only for your first night, but we had the suite available for the second and third night.
After your check in, and after you looked at the suite, you decided to stay one night in a deluxe with terrace sea view and two nights in a junior suite with terrace and sea view because you did not like our suite.

SUITE ROOM:
Regarding the suite room it is important for us to specify some information, because you wrote something of incorrect in your review.
In our hotel we disposal of two suites: Criseide and Zeuxo. The Criseide rooms has the terrace with sea view; The Zeuxo room has the French balcony. Please, read the suite description written on Expedia.com: “Overlooking the sea, this room opens to a balcony and measures 538 square feet (50 square meters)…”
You can easily read that it is not written that the suite has the terrace because only one of our two suite have it. Regarding the pictures, for the suite room we show the Zeuxo photo (with the French balcony).
So, also in this case, our offer on Expedia.com is clear and honest and we did not make mistake in our descriptions.

EXPEDIA REFUND:
We changed the rates for all the stay and you will receive a refund from Expedia.com, because you paid for three nights in a suite, but you stayed 1 night in deluxe and two nights in junior suite. Regarding the Expedia refund, during your stay we advised you that we spoke several time to Expedia help desk and they told us you will receive the refund.
We "worked everything out" with Expedia to let you know about the room rates & refund, and we are really sorry that you did not understand what we made for you.
We apologize if the Expedia Elite Customer Service was not professional but you can understand it is not our fault.

PROBLEMS IN THE ROOM:
We are really surprised reading your list of problems of your rooms. Some of them can be fixed if only you had advised us (example: working power plug – lamp on the terrace – air conditioning). Regarding the shower, we advise you that in our web site and on Expedia.com is written: “The private bathroom has a shower/tub combination, as well as bathrobes, slippers, and complimentary toiletries.”
In our standard room only, there is the shower. From the superior room, we have bath and shower in the same solution.
Regarding the room service breakfast, we confirm that you have paid only for the food and beverage ordered. No charge was made without the delivery in the room.
Regarding the “DO NOT DITRURB MESSAGE”, we inform you in case of room service, we always organize the turn down service for cleaning reason.

CONCLUSIONS:
We know that there was a problem during the start of your vacation, but we think that we do our best to give to you the opportunity to live a memorable stay at Grand Hotel Angiolieri. We are very sorry that now you have not a nice memory of our hotel and we hope that you can come back in the next future to change your personal idea.

Sales and Marketing Manager
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed a week, wish it had been longer. Would definitely go back. Room was excellent, bed extremely comfortable. Restaurant was everything we expected from a five star hotel. Service excellent & staff were courteous and nothing too much trouble. We liked the location, out of the bustle of Sorrento but in easy reach of facilities. Couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: Sea view & balcony suite are worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted by your positive review left on this website and thank you therefore very. Indeed the setting and the views offered from the peak of Seiano are unmatchable. We appreciate your comments about the entire staff and will for sure forward them to all members. Looking forward to welcoming you in the very near future, we remain with best regards.

Sales & Marketing Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We recently stayed at the Angiolieri for our Honeymoon and had a fantasticly relaxing time.

The staff looked after us very well and the facilities are very good. Arguably the best thing is the view of the bay of Naples and Vesuvius which we enjoyed every day while eating a truly magnificent breakfast on the restaurant terrace/balcony.

I strongly recommend this hotel.

I haven't rated the fitness centre or spa as we didn't use these facilities.

Room Tip: We had a 'Garden view room'. It should probably be called a 'Mountain view' room...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your review on this website. We are glad that you had a positive impression of our hotel and the services in the nearby.

You are right. The breakfast on the terrace restaurant is really amazing!

We really hope to welcome you again.

Sales & Marketing Manager
Huntington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Angiolieri, in one of their suites. The suite was large and had a great view of Naples and Vesuvius and the bay. However the view was from a "French balcony" which is a floor to ceiling glass door that opens. There was no balcony in the traditional sense. We did see a true balcony in another of their suites. The bed was very hard and we had difficulty sleeping on it. We were told all the beds were the same.

The bathroom was expansive for a European room but again beware there are no true showers in any of the hotels bathrooms. All there was, was a shower head that you could use that would be extended from the bath.

The staff was very attentive and helpful. The dining room was very "upscale" but in my view the menu was very limited and did not change day to day. Breakfast was standard "continental" with some scrambled eggs thrown in. The pool was nice and situated to look out right onto the bay.

Also beware the hotel is not that near Sorrento, it is 4 train stops to Sorrento, and is fairly isolated. It is about 7 train stops in the other direction to Pompeii.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review on this web site.

We are happy you liked our service, staff and view.

Regarding your complaints, we try to give to you our answer.

Regarding the suite rooms, we advise what is written on our web site:

“They offer whether terrace or French balcony, both facing the splendid bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius….. Room Criseide offers a balcony and a terrace with sea view…… Room Zeuxo French balcony with sea view, facing the Bay of Naples…..”

It means that when you book a suite room, you can stay in the suite Criseide or Zeuxo. It depends on the availability of the moment.

Regarding the shower, you are right. In our superior, deluxe, junior suite and suite, we have only the Jacuzzi. You can have the shower in the Jacuzzi. There is not a shower in a different solution. With our hotel management, we are studying a solution for the next year. It is not simple, because all our bathroom have very special mosaic, so also a normal shower can destroy the design. But we respect our guest’s needs, and we will find a good solution.

Regarding the location, you are right. We are not in the center of Sorrento, but our guest very often love this location, because they think it is strategic to move in the most important places of the area, an it is also very quite.

Regarding the bed, we apologize for it. If you had told us this problem during your stay, maybe we had could find a solution.

We hope that you can come back in the next future.

Best regards

Sales and Marketing Manager

Been to Grand Hotel Angiolieri? Share your experiences!