“our daughter,s wedding reception” 5 of 5 stars

Garden House Hotel
Sarkfoot Road, Gretna G16 5EP, Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Gretna
wigan
“our daughter,s wedding reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

we all had a great time the pool was exceptional the gardens made a fantastic backdrop for wedding photos.food was very good the bedrooms were big clean and tidy as were the bathrooms staff were very friendly and helpful we will definitely go back and would reconmend getting married at gretna green mr ,mrs ,winstanley ,wigan

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

This hotel appealed to me as it meant we could get married in the hotel and have our meal there also. After seeing this hotel on the internet I was especially impressed with the gardens and after searching many hotels we decided on this for our small wedding ( 11 of us). Of course I was apprehensive on the lead up as I had never been to Gretna or this hotel, and with only having 3 weeks to organise the wedding it was pretty stressful ! I would like to say the contact was excellent when arranging everything, I dealt mostly with Nikki, I changed so many arrangements on the lead up and the numbers attending changed, they always reassured me it was 'no problem'. When we arrived at the hotel it looked a bit worn and I admit I was a little apprehensive, however once we had spoken with Nikki to finalise the details and checked into the bridal suite I felt a little happier, The view form the room was beautiful, it overlooked the gardens, the room was so spacious, CD player with speakers linked through the ceiling, ok the room was a bit worn but it was clean. I had the best nights sleep . Our parents arrived later that day and they had beautiful rooms with a balcony. The hotel is within walking distance to factory outlet shops which I did find time to explore, it was excellent! The rest of the family arrived the next day for the day of the wedding, the hairdresser at the hotel put my hair up and it was beyond my expectations and stayed in all day/evening. The wedding was perfect, the hotel thought of all the small details, and the hotel was really quiet and it felt like we had the hotel all to ourselves. The photos were beautiful in the gardens. The swimming pool was perfect for my 8 year old nephew who got bored later in the day! My biggest regret is I didn't have time to go in the swimming pool, it looked so inviting. The meal in the evening was beautiful, we ate in the restaurant but again as it was so quiet it was perfect! We will visit this hotel again for our anniversary, 2 nights was not long enough, I wish we had stayed there for at least a week! Ok, the hotel needs refurbishing but other than that it is perfect. The staff are so professional, friendly and helpful, what more do you need ? Big thanks to them all !

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Larkhall,Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Travelled here with family and friends for our wedding on 15 jan 2010.Everyone enjoyed hotel and food,highly reccomend the buffet carvery for wedding meal it was excellent and enjoyed by all.Hotel was lovely and warm and found rooms nice and roomy. Lovely staff we were pleased all round. Yes the hotel is a bit tired and worn,perhaps due to it being busy,this could turn out a real jewel if updated. John & Karen Callaghan.

• Stayed January 2010
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

i went here on the recommendation of another collegue, he said it was a good hotel & he had a bridal suite due to the hotel being very quiet & he was only stopping there for four nights in total. I booked in by very very pleasant staff, had my key & was off to my room in about 8 minutes. That is where the recomendation stops! The room was seriously freezing cold, i turned the thermostat up to 30 degrees & started to unpack. I had been working on site all day and was soaked through as it had constantly rained with heavy winds all day, i stripped my wet clothes off & put them on the ample radiator & climbed into bed to get warm. This was at 5pm, at 6.30 pm i tried to ring reception, the phones were dead, so i rang from my mobile & was told it will take a wee while for it to get warm,,, an hour & a half & counting?? In an attempt to get warm i had a shower?,,,, i had to run around the bath to get wet & when i did it was only warm water & not hot. I left the hotel to find a pub, my work clothes were still wet & i had left them on the radiator. I got back into my room for it to be still very cold, my cloths bordering on damp/wet, i climed into bed with socks & t-shirt & tried to sleep. It was so cold in the night that i awoke twice & in the morning my work clothes were still damp (the clothes were put on the radiator at 5pm the previous day & at 7.30am they were damp). I reported my ordeal to reception & they were very sympathetic & the resturant staff made me sandwiches as i could not stay for breakfast as i had to be at work. In summery, very very good staff, a clean hotel but truely a very cold one! i wasnt this cold when i stayed in the ice hotel in Iceland,,,seriously. In fairness, perhaps the problem was with the boiler for the heat, but that still doesnt excuse the very random spray from the ancient shower head nor the cigarrette burns on the sink surround etc,,, its a tired hotel,,,or at least my igloo was!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dumfries and Galloway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Pool could be fabulous but the very worn cubicle doors and the astroturf kind of puts your off. Update it and you'll have a goldmine!

Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

got married there in 2008 could not belive how amazing it was, hotel was more than we expected and staff were so helpfull and our wedding day was so special thanks to all the staff in the garden house hotel they made it a day for us to treasure and remember allways. thanks to all the staff and management for our splendid day and our stay with you .
caroline and grant brown

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

We held our wedding reception at Garden House and can honestly not fault a single thing about it.

We also had family stay at hotel and all guests thought it was first class!!

The staff could not do enough for us, nothing was too much trouble.

Rooms were huge and very clean.
Food was 1st Class
Staff were Amazing.
Leisure Facilities were spotless
Wedding Meal in Tokido Suite was superb!

Look forward to coming back for our first anniversary !!

Thanks again for 1st Class Stay

Mr and Mrs Sorley-Wilkinson

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Garden House Hotel? Share your experiences!