“Lovely Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is the first time we have been here, the building inside is a work in progress but when it is finished I am sure it will be lovely.
The menu was varied with different specials every day including three different times for the Sunday Carvery. We were spoilt for choice, good selection for starters, mains and desserts, we only tried the mains, my husband had the turkey and mushroom pie, full of meat and mushrooms with chips and peas, you could have almost any kind of potato if you wanted to, lovely food, I had Tikka Masala with half chips and rice, also really tasty. The staff were very friendly and the service was very good. Really good value and will certainly be going back, also catered for the childen with one child free per adult and a good selection of food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Port Talbot
“Much better, Had a fab evening at the Afan Tavern.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I had a lovely meal here on Thursday. the staff were most pleasant and polite, even though I gave them a bad review last time.
I ordered the beef vindaloo and my wife had a burger, both meals were fantastic and arrived promptly. I'm so glad to be able to write a nice review and we will be retrying the restaurant again tonight.
I thoroughly recommend here if you fancy a nice filling homecooked meal with real chips.,

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“sunday roast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

lots of food choices through the week thats great value. plenty of slices of meat that justs tastes so good in the sunday carvery. yummy

Visited April 2013
Port Talbot
“Shocked”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been eating at this venue for many years as It is my local. the food has been acceptable and I have kept going back.
Tonight was different, My wife and I turned up for a meal, as both of us didn't feel like cooking and we hadn't been out for a meal in a while .In fact, the last meal we went out for was in the Thai Elephant in Swansea which had been closed down by environmental health the previous week, the evening was however fantastic there, so I don't moan for no reason.
We gazed and pondered the menu and Sarah my wife decided on a Chicken salad, I decided on a burger with Jalapeno's, Monteray Jack cheese and bbq sauce. we noticed that the specials board had been wiped clean, so no choices there then.
The polite staff informed us apologetically that the restaurant had run out of chicken, so quite a bit of the menu was unavailable. My wife then picked the homemade corned beef pie with a jacket potato. When it arrived it looked the most unappetising meal with a rubbery pastry and a thimblefull of peas on the side. My wife left 1/2 of the pastry as it was not nice to eat.
My meal was no better, the waiter, 5 minutes after ordering, politely informed me that there was no jalapeno's but he could do a chilli sauce instead, reluctantly I accepted this change.
When the burger arrived, on the plate was a portion of chips, a little salad and a baguette which was oozing cheese from everyware. Unfortunately they were too embarrassed to tell us that they had also run out of burger buns, and thought a baguette was a valid replacement, well it was totally unsuited for the job. cheese was oozing all out of it and grease was running down my hand. I couldn't finish it as the feeling of the fat on my hands was putting me off.
When the waiter came over to clear the tables he could see that we were not happy and offered us free deserts which we declined, they only had Ice cream left presumably!!
The staff were very apologetic and we could see that they were upset by the poor service that we had received. The owners of this place need to get a grip and get this place back on its feet serving good food as it did a few years ago, now is not a time to take their eye off the ball.
I can't see me going back or recommending it as I have done previously. Just totally disgusted

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
west glamorgan
“Best sunday lunch in west glamorgan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have just ome from the Jersey Arms for a sunday lunch with my daughter and some friends, and I have to say it was the best sunday lunch I have had in years. From the choice of starters, to the quality of the meat, everything was fantastic!
I had pate to start, which was generous and tasty, and my daughter had the soup which was also sublime. The rest of the group also loved the starters. Then came the mains, I had four slices of the softest beef ever, and a wonderful array of home cooked roasties, yorkshires and thick homemade gravy. The vegetables were colourful and full of taste, and everything was piping hot.
Living in Cwmavon all my life, I cannot believe I have never has sunday lunch in this establishment, and I will be frequenting this little gem, on a regular basis.
Top marks Afan Tavern!!
P.S. Excellent waitress service and bar staff.

• Visited April 2013