“Lovely, quiet spot - let down by the food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mill Restaurant & Accommodation

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunfanaghy
The Mill Restaurant & Accommodation
You added The Mill Restaurant & Accommodation to your Saves list
N56, Dunfanaghy, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Dunfanaghy B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derry
“Lovely, quiet spot - let down by the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

This is a restaurant with limited accomodation. The rooms are not the standard hotel type. They are homely, clean, comfortable - home form home. There is old furniture with real character; books are provided - fiction, non-fiction, local interest - which is a nice touch. There is no phone - great. There is a TV with standard terrestrial channels. Bath and over-bath shower are good. The rooms are quiet and the beds and pillows are comfortable.
Breakfast is served from a small buffet plus your choice of cooked breakfast. The traditional cooked Irish breakfast was very disappointing on the two mornings that we were there. We had one evening meal, which did not live up to the name that this restaurant has built up which was extremely disappointing.
Service was slow and a little haphazard and the usual Irish chat was practically totally missing - except on the day that we arrived when we were given tea and coffee in the conservatory and filled in with all the local nonsense - great!
If you want a small, quiet, family-run hotel then this is the place for you. As for the food - it seems to be a lottery; a great name for it, but we did not get it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My boyfriend and I visited the Mill for dinner over the Easter period. We had tried to get a table here a number of times previously and it had always been fully booked- now we know why. The food and service was absolutely first class and served in a very relaxing environment. We cannot wait to go back and have just booked to take a couple of our friends there next month. Your evening starts with an opportunity to peruse the menu in front of the fire or in the conversatory at which point delicious canapes are served- I also enjoyed a lovely Kir Royale at this point.
Both of us enjoyed a lovely starter of Garlic Wild Mushrooms on Brioche Toast with a Poached Organic Duck Egg, Hollandaise Sauce and Parsley Pesto. Although the scallops were off the menu on the evening that we were there, the main courses remaining were equally inviting. Although I would usually tend to eat fish, I opted for the chargrilled rib-eye beef with potato boxty, horseradish sauce and roasted spring vegetables- all of which was delicious. My boyfriend's fish dish was also of an excellent standard. Both of us had very enjoyable desserts too followed by coffee (which you can help yourself to) and petit fours in the conservatory. This was a lovely evening and worth every penny- we have also heard that the overnight accommodation is excellent here too. Would recommend the Mill without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

This is a beautiful old Mill House, exquisitely furmished. Care and attention to detail is in evidence throughout such as complimentary bottles of water in the bedroom together with complimentary small bottles of wine. The power shower was simple to use and worked to perfection. Breakfasts were different and included carrageeen moss, stewed rhubarb, fresh fruit smoothie and various selections of cooked breakfasts such as pancakes, bacon and maple syrup. Coffee was good - freshly made in a cafetiere. Evening meal was good too but at €43.50 per person for three courses, a little expensive. House Red from the Navarra region should have been palatable but was not to our taste but that is our only complaint!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I am lucky enough to live near enough to The Mill to be a fairly frequent visitor to the restaurant - some day I hope to stay overnight, as those friends who have done so have thoroughly enjoyed the experience - especially the excellent breakfast. I am very hard to please when it comes to restaurant food, but I have never eaten anything in The Mill that I have not enjoyed. The food is fresh, immaginative, beautifully cooked and presented, and is value for money. There are some great, well-priced wines on offer too (including the yummy dessert wines). The staff do all they can to ensure that their guests have a wonderful evening, and are welcoming, helpful and unobtrusive. You are pampered from the outset with drinks and canapes in front of the fire, followed by a leisurely meal in the dining room, and ending with coffee and homemade fudge or shortbread back at the fire, or in the conservatory. On one occasion I felt so much like a "guest" that I almost forgot to pay on the way out! I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
far far away
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

It is difficult to capture quite how wonderful the Mill Restaurant is in a review. I can talk about the wonderfully friendly owners and staff, the open fires, the beautiful setting, the lovely old house, the paintings and of course the amazing food but there is too much about the Mill that is intangible and can only be experienced by visiting.

However, the food is amazing, amongst the best I have eaten anywhere in the world. The chef mixes textures and flavours in a clever but subtle way and leaves me wanting to lick the plate. This is not silly, fussy food, just fantastic local produce cooked with skill and imagination. I look forward to my visits for weeks in advance.

The atmosphere is almost as good as the food. The staff are friendly but never intrusive; nothing is ever too much trouble. There is nothing stuffy about the restaurant, you can wear anything from your jeans to your best party dress and not feel out of place.

There is only one problem with the Mill, I live too close to justify spending the night and so have never had a chance of try the reportedly fab breakfasts!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

It took me a while to locate this restaurant in TripAdvisor as it is classified here as a hotel, which technically it probably is. But I, and many others, only know it as a first class restaurant, which happens to have accommodation too.

I have eaten here on every occasion I've visited Co. Donegal in the last 5 or 6 years, and it is the sort of place you phone weeks, if not months, beforehand to get a table reservation. I've never been disappointed by the choice and quality of the dinners here, and will undoubtedly return each time I visit the area, which, alas, is rarely more than once a year.

The menus have a good selection of local produce, always imaginatively presented, and my biggest problem each time I come is narrowing down the choice of dish to one per course! I would happily eat here several nights in a row knowing that I could find something different that appealed to me every time.

The location is very nice too: an old flax mill beside a tranquil lake, in a particularly beautiful part of Ireland.

I am unable to give any rating for "Rooms" or "Sleep Quality" as I'm solely reviewing this as a restaurant, but I would be most surprised if they didn't meet the same high standard as the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2010
Newtown Square
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

Lovely setting for this large house B & B and restaurant. Breakfast was fabulous. Unfortunately the triple room was rather small and we needed to squeeze a second child on the floor. The bed covering was only a heavy duvet, whose cover smelled of B.O.,with no sheet, so it was too warm without A/C or fan. Our charge per night, 130E, was more than it was worth. (There are other B & B's in town.) Would also recommend The Cove restaurant with great early bird dinners, 2 miles down on far side of Dunfanaghy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Mill Restaurant & Accommodation? Share your experiences!