“Ramsey restaurant - Emperor's New Clothes” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection

You added Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Powerscourt Estate, Enniskerry, Ireland (Formerly The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Portmarnock
“Ramsey restaurant - Emperor's New Clothes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

I am giving the hotel 1 star because of the experience my wife and I had in it's over priced and over rated restaurant, plus the pub in the hotel.

I can't say enough about the staff and the hotel itself. I really enjoyed the stay as a whole but I cannot get over the restaurant and pub.

#1 The pub-

Far too small for a hotel of this size - we were like sardines in the place due to a wedding and a conference. It seats roughly 40 people in a massive hotel (ridiculous).

#2 The restaurant-

I was really looking forward to this meal. I am a big fan of Gordon Ramsay on the tv and wanted to see if this restaurant could "walk the walk" so to speak. My wife's starter (Veal) was the size of a chicken mc nugget ,which was beautifully presented for the princely sum of nearly €30. My starter was the lobster ravioli which if you offered it to me free I would now decline, again approx €30. Main courses were again very very average. I paid nearly €50 for an ok fillet steak. How can you go wrong with a steak!!! The wine list was a joke with the cheapest €46, we choose one for €55 as I liked that particular wine.

All in all the meal came to €200 not including dessert- they weren't getting anymore of our money.

I enjoy a nice meal and am in no way a philistine in these matters, I just cannot get over people who would regularly pay over €200 for such a poor meal. I sat there waiting all evening for a revolution, or someone just to say how ridiculous the food vs price was. In the end we laughed it off, we now know how the other half eat, how disappointing for them.

As I said earlier the hotel itself is great and I would return (breakfast exceptional) but I would never set foot in the restaurant again.

I would say one thing to any visitors contemplating coming to Dublin in the future.

We live in Portmarnock and regularly go out for nice meals in the area. If you are in the Skerries area (North County Dublin), you need to visit the "Stoop your Head" restaurant there. I can honestly say we have eaten there on many occasions and have yet to experience anything less than a fantastic meal. Gordon Ramsay hang your head in shame.

• Liked — Hotel room
  • Disliked — Restaurant
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We were first met by the valet, who greeted us with a warm welcome, as he opened the front doors for us. From this point on, everyone seemed happy to greet us and were more than willing to go the extra step. We were escorted to, and given a tour of, our room. My husband and I were immediately drawn to the fantastic view from our private balcony! The bed looked just as comfortable as it proved to be. The pool was amazing. When you are laying on one of the cusioned lounge chairs, and you look at the pool from that angle, it appears as if you are looking at the night sky with the stars shining brightly (the crystal lights). The main reason we booked this hotel was because of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant. The food was just as supurb as we expected it to be. It was such a surprise when we were given a tour of the kitchen and an autographed photo of Chef Ramsey! This really made our stay such an event. The next morning we awoke to fantastic eggs benedict and coffee. When we checked out, we were greeted in that same kind manner that we were met with, the night before. It was a great stay and we will go again, if we find our way back to Ireland someday

• Liked — The view and the food
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

We stayed in the Ritz for two nights in early August. This was our second time staying at the hotel - our first time was at a wedding soon after it opened - and were delighted to see that all of the early teething problems we had experienced appeared to have been ironed out (in particular check in and check out).

This meant that we could really enjoy the stay. The hotel itself is pretty incredible. The guest rooms are very big and have everything from incredibly comfy beds to a flat screen TV in the loo! The common areas are also perfectly finished, especially the lounge (highly recommend the afternoon tea!) and the swimming pool area. One strange thing is that not all the lifts go to every floor, but it doesnt take long to work this out.

We ate one night in Ramsey's - top quality - and another in Enniskerry village. The coffee shop in Powerscourt House, just a stroll from the hotel, is a great spot for lunch, while the gardens in the house are well worth a look.

Staff were very attentive, but without being annoyingly so!

All in all a very enjoyable, relaxing stay.

RP

Stayed August 2008
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt for the last three nights of a ten day trip to Ireland. It's truly a lovely property and the service is mostly what you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton.
Check-in was fast and efficient and friendly, but unlike most RC's where I've stayed, no one greeted us at our car when we arrived. No big deal, just different than usual RC treatment.
Our room was large and very nicely decorated. The bathroom is the typical marble RC bath, large and with yummy-smelling Bulgari amenities. Love the RC bathrobes as well. The dressing room between the bathroom and bedroom area was bigger than most, and the closets are stocked with the necessities, iron, shoe shine kit, safe, umbrella, etc. The king-sized bed, which I've always found to be true at RC's, was heavenly.
I was disappointed that, unlike the 5 previous hotels or B&B's we stayed during this trip, there was no in-room coffee and tea service. Strange for any room in Ireland. The mini-bar is fully stocked of course.
The room has digital touch screen controls for curtains, lights and climate, and our A/C wasn't working when we arrived. However, we called the desk and someone was in the room checking on it within 20 miniutes. It happened again our the third day but was corrected quickly again. That's one of the quirks we encountered. The other was that on our first night there, the water pressure for cold began to sputter and brown water came out! Ew. We were told by the desk that "that sometimes happens in Ireland" and to let it run for 5 minutes and it would stop, which it did, but it was still kind of gross.
Dinner at Gordon Ramsey's was elegant and delicious. The service was impeccable and the courses were perfectly timed. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and made perfect pairings for our meals.
Dinner, lunch and breakfast at Sugarloaf Lounge were good as well. Breakfast was a buffet (not sure if that was weekend only) and had everything one could wish for in a buffet. You definitely need reservations there on weekends for dinner, even if staying at the hotel. We saw several people get turned away. The view is just lovely with the mountains in the distance.
ESPA, the spa, is fabulous and I recommend a massage with Racquel.
The concierge was very helpful with maps, suggestions and a few historical nuggets and stories.
There is no little shop in this RC in case you need any extras. We had to go into Bray (15 min drive) to get a disposable camera when we used up all the memory cards we brought with ours.
Overall, a great way to end our wonderful excursion to Ireland. I hope they get the A/C issue and water problems taken care of, which are likely a result of it being a new building. We'll be back.

• Liked — Comfortable room, great views
  • Disliked — A/C and water issues
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We very slightly nervous what with some of the reviews posted but we had a wonderful night at the Ritz and enjoyed every minute.

Our room was on the second floor and had a balcony over looking the grounds, absolutely gorgeous and really large. No problem with the electronics (lights etc) I would have gladly moved in!

We ate in the bar, famous for its fish and chips and that did not disappoint - so tasty.... Had drinks upstairs then in the foyer and went for a short walk into the Secret Garden to get some air. Really pretty.

Stayed on in the Residents Bar until late and then sat on our balcony sipping champagne after. total bliss.

Breakfast was fantastic, wonderful service by everyone - throughout our trip they could not have done more for us but but were never intrusive. Great selection of hot food, fruit, breads, muffins, juices....yummy!

At check out we were told that we could use the facilities of the spa throughout the day so we went down then and enjoyed a swim in the lovely pool.

We will certainly be returning to The Ritz, we thought it was wonderful value, tip top service by very friendly staff, great setting, brilliant food and therefore had a terrific night!!

• Liked — THE LOCATION, THE STAFF, THE INTERIOR, THE FOOD, .....EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — LEAVING
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Enniskillen, N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton recently and generally speaking we were very pleased. Set in a lovely location in the Powerscourt grounds just a 5 minute walk outside beautiful Enniskerry, the hotel is very impressive but not perfect. Our room was very spacious and comortable with excellent facilities, but in terms of the service there were a few let-downs. We ordered some room service on arrival, including a bottle of Sancerre from the very extensive (and expensive!) wine list, but they didn't have any, and sent us a (very good) Menetou Salon instead. On night 2 we dined in the Gordon Ramsay Restaurant, where they tried very hard to provide first class service without quite achieving it. (The meal and the wine were very good, but if I'm honest, not worth the money. (The food in the hotel bar is lovely - much less pretentious and a fraction of the price.)) We ordered a bottle of Pouilly Fume this time, but they didn't have that either so the sommellier recommended........... you've guessed it, the Menetou Salon. We'd had a pre-dinner drink in the aforementioned hotel bar, which is nicely done in an old Irish pub/grocer style, but it would have been more pleasant if either one of the two lads or the girl behind the bar had been able to muster a smile or a greeting of some kind. Sadly, they just served our drinks in silence and walked away. Anyway, on to the exciting bit - the breakfast. We wandered down at about 9.55 and outside the door of the restaurant were about 30-40 very nice young people who were, like us, all looking for some breakfast. They were, I think, all guests at a wedding in the hotel the previous day and had obviously agreed to meet for breakfast as theye were perfectly entitled to do, but unfortunately the restaurant staff failed totally in organising their tables, and confusion and panic took over. It was a ridiculous scrum and nobody seemed to know what anyone else was doing about it. We stood around for 20 minutes before we got a table, and then four or five different members of staff tried to lift the plates from our table before we were finished! Still, the orange juice was delicious.......... I mentioned our experience on checking out, and was told that the hotel was nearly full. Well I'm sorry but I think a 5 star hotel ought to be able to cope with a bit of an influx at breakfast. Having got all that off my chest, I must say that the Ritz Carlton is a beautiful hotel with (generally) very helpful staff. Not perfect, but very good all the same. It's not cheap, but it is a 5 star gaff and its very good.

• Liked — The room and the views
  • Disliked — The restaurant at breakfast time
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

Booked the Ramsey package for 1 night B&B + dinner for my husband's birthday and we were not disappointed. Check-in was flawless and were shown to our room where all the features re. air con etc were explained to us. Perhaps a little over the top as it was pretty self-explanatory but better to explain anyway I guess.

The room was beautiful. It was a mountain view suite and was HUGE! There was a small entrance hall, guest toilet, full fitted kitchen, dining and sitting area to one side. The massive bedroom was to the other side with a large wardrobe / dressing area and the bathroom. There was also a lage terrace with loungers outside. It was a pity our stay was so brief as we didn't have enough time to simply spend in this lovely suite.

We had a brief visit to the spa which was ok but fairly average. Few flaws here; The hot pool was out of order. Also, there were no robes or slippers available so we had to return to our room to get our robes and go barefoot as there were no slippers in our room either. I would also expect a more relaxed, luxurious ambiance in a hotel spa of this calibre with more relaxation zones and hamman spaces.

The Ramsey restaurant was great. The service was good and the menu interesting. All the food was beautiful - a nice blend of technical skill and quality ingredients. Small mishap with the bill where we were charged for an extra glass of wine we didn't have but this was resolved easily enough.

Breakfast was also in the Ramsey restaurant and was lovely. Plenty of choice including hot food, porridge, fish, cheese, fruit, breads and pastries.

Quite expensive but the restaurant in particular was good value. Would probably stick to a regular room in future for a short visit. The spa could definitely be improved and the prices there are outrageous. All in all it was great. Will go back.

• Liked — The 'out of this world' comfortable bed + The Ramsey restaurant.
  • Disliked — The spa.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!