“Nice Property; Wonderful Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection

You added Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Powerscourt Estate, Enniskerry, Ireland (Formerly The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Orlando, Florida
“Nice Property; Wonderful Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our Ireland trip. It's a beautiful building set on expansive grounds and located out in the country about a 30 minute drive from Dublin Airport. The staff were absolutely wonderful. I emailed with a question in advance of our arrival and received a prompt reply from the Concierge. Check in was very prompt and we were given a lovely upgraded suite with a beautiful view over the grounds.

Breakfast in the restaurant was great. Lots of variety and good food. There is a pub on site where we had dinner both nights. Good food and drinks.

All staff were friendly, interested in helping us as needed and seemed genuinely happy to be there. Interesting in light of the fact that the hotel had just been sold and the new owners had announced changes including dropping the Ritz Carlton flag in favor of Marriott Autograph Collection. I think though that they did announce that all jobs would be retained which might account for the happiness (or relief) level of the employees.

The only nit I will pick with the hotel is that there did seem to be a bit of deferred maintenance visible around the grounds. Hopefully the new owners will address this although I must admit that it is a huge task given how expansive the property is.

All in all a great visit. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
louth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

greeted by a very pleasant consierge who offered to carry our bags too a trolley. Good start. We were checked in as I had a Visa debit card I was informed they would charge me €415 not the €265 I had expected to pay, why? Just incase I wanted to charge to my room (a bit rich I think not very 5*) the child friendly check in was a quick hello to my son ?? Why promote this if you don't automatically do this? We were shown to the lifts and room which was the nicest thing about the hotel the room was spacious and the bathroom was nice, there was no need for all the electronic gadgets, the air con didn't go low enough the room was warm at night. €5 for a Coke =rip off. The spa facilities are extremely poor. There are plenty of extremely expensive treatments but I did not feel encouraged to try any as we were greeted in such a rude manner on arrival for a swim at 4pm, a male staff member abruptly informed us that children should be out at 6 and did we know it was 4pm??? Child friendly??? Depends on who meets you as I saw another family being given a tour of the area before they swam. So after a swim i look for the rest of the sp to be informed if one does not have a treament one has only access to the pool and steam area, which is very average just a pool(no views! the hotel is in the Garden of Ireland why did they not have views or outdoor pool area, the pool area was at a cool temperature, the whirl pool/jaccuzi only worked every 15 min or so and on one side only when it did go on it was too gentle, the staff spent most of their time ensuring others did not allow children in it, the shower in the pool broken, the steam room which was fair, nothing special. We were told there is a sauna but one must have a treatment to use it. We observed an employee who removed dirty towels from the chairs but this only happens once, but did not change the wet covers. Not a standard of a 5 star hotel
The dinner was ok the Gordon R place had a party on so that was a no go area. The sweets at the end of the dinner were the best thing about the hotel they were to die for. As I did not spend all the money taken from my card I was told at check out it was being refunded that was yesterday I'm still waiting for the refund to go back into my account.

Overall
Staff ok a bit ott but in general ok
Room lovely and big I liked it
Balcony big with view
Spa was a big disappointment
Food ok
Too expensive
Drinks ridiculous prices
No water in rooms your told to use the tap or pay €5 a bottle come on this is supposed to be 5* I expect still and sparkling water
Breakfast not great queuing undercooked sausages not a great selection, a long wait for eggs, glasses etc this must be improved
I felt like it was a hotel with so much potential but needs a fresh approach, change your prices and fix your spa and make a thermal suite for all guests.

• Stayed July 2013
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We chose this hotel over the Renaissance in downtown Dublin because the price and even though we had to drive a bit from Dublin airport, it was worth it! I do have little complaints though.

The parking was almost full, for such a big hotel, they should have more parking space.

The man who checked us in was really nice, he asked us where we were from and coincidentally, he spoke our language! He upgraded us to a suite, since we're gold members of Marriott. We went to lunch at the Sugar Loaf Lounge, which was really nice and they had good food.

The room was outstanding, with the electronic systems to switch the lights on/off, close/open the curtains, and we could even watch television in the bathroom!

We had dinner in the pub, which was not the best unfortunately. The food was okay, but the table was sticky and the waiters did not come to us at first and they were also not very nice, they seemed bored. (I don't know if that's normal).

Breakfast buffet was good! There were many choices and they were really quick with the eggs I asked to be made to order.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

it really is one of the finest hotels, the view of Sugar Loaf mountain is fantastic. Great to get out of Dublin city and only half hour drive. Service in reception and housekeeping above and beyond nothing was to much trouble. We were on the sixth floor and spent a great deal of time sitting out on the patio soaking in the view and peace and tranquility.
Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: to appreciate the view the higher the floor the better and request a mountain view costs a few euros...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have only a few points to add to the other gushing reviews: (1) if you decide to play golf, play the west course, because it is much better, (2) the swimming pool is fantastic, (3) have breakfast on the terrace, (4) you must try the chocolate ice cream, (5) do not miss Powerscourt House and Gardens next door (they do great lunches too). Like other reviewers, I worry that standards may drop, now that Marriott have bought the whole state for $1M Euros with debts of $83M. Fingers crossed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Powerscourt Gardens, in Enniskerry, Wicklow has always been my favorite place to visit in Ireland. Each time I am there I am wowed all over again! Then take one of the finest hotels in the world and place it in this breathtaking setting and there you go, The Ritz Carlton, Powerscourt! From moment we walked through the door we were impressed and giddy with happiness that we got to be guests at this stunning hotel. It's pure luxury every step of the way. The lobby is stunning and the rooms are too. We had deluxe rooms I believe. They were huge and luxurious. Our view out onto the expansive lawn and fountain with the Sugarloaf Mountains as the backdrop was really spectacular. The pool is ultra chic with it's black mosaic tile and dim lighting. So cool! My family enjoyed every moment and can't wait to return someday.

• Stayed June 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Whoever wrote the review saying this was over priced and under delivered...well, we didn't stay at the same place.

We were amazed by the service, better than A++, better than excellent.

The room perfect, the housekeeping impeccable. Our housekeeper, Chris, left extra water for us and cleaned our room spotless. I saw Chris cleaning the bathrooms near the Pub and their were some drunken wedding guys being really obnoxious to him. He just smiled and went about his job.

The 3D concierge, the woman had lived in NY (blonde, about my age - late 30s, I would guess, oh I forgot her name!). She was amazing. We were renewing our vows and I forgot my flowers...She had a bouquet made up from the roses out of the garden, they were beautiful and just what we wanted. And kept insisting not to tip her, that it was really her pleasure. WOW

Our spa services were more than just spa services. The luxury pedicure, don't get anything less, and ask for Kate. She did a great job and was wonderful company to boot. Karen gave my husband a massage that he still talks about. Karen was from Bray and talked about it's beauty,so my husband and I drove there on our way back to Dublin. Thank you Karen, it was one of our cherished moments being in Bray.

There was a man from Poland or Hungry I believe that delivered our bags and gave us a tour of our room. We saw him intermittently through out our visit and he always greeted us with a smile. He was so friendly and welcoming, so thankful for the tip (unlike anyone on our trip) and acted thankful just to be there, it made us want to be there more.

Now, for the Pub... McGill's! We are McGill's, and going to the McGill's Pub was top of our list for our whole trip to Ireland. We knew it was in the hotel and seeing the pictures of the elegance of the hotel, we knew it would be a bit classier than the Irish Pubs from movies. It was, but it still felt like a pub.

The bar manager, Ian, top notch man. He had the cook make a special order of parsnips for me... at the bar. He let my husband pull a pint of Guinness while we had our wedding photographer there. Ian was a great manager, even gave us a pub menu cover that said "McGills" so we could put a wedding picture in it.

Bartender - David; David made our trip to the pub so special. His jokes and riddles and stories and perfectly poured Guinness.... he was like a friend from home.

Upon leaving, the desk clerks were all wearing name tags that said "The McGills" .... they made us name tags! They were all so nice, SINCERELY nice.

Now for the so so's. The lounge, not so good. The Guinness in the lounge...not like David poured it, didn't taste or look the same. We told David, and he went to Ian and they were appalled, said they would find out who poured it and make sure it was right from now on. The food in the lounge, not so good. When you pay that much, you expect a little something. It was so so.

I almost didn't mention the lounge because everything was so amazing! I give reviews, and I give good reviews, this place is above all those, it should have it's own rating. We got more than we paid for, and memories that will last us a life time. Thank you everyone at The Ritz and Powerscourt Gardens... we will be back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!