“5 Star Vacation but signs of slipping to 4 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection

You added Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Powerscourt Estate, Enniskerry, Ireland (Formerly The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Ireland
“5 Star Vacation but signs of slipping to 4 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

This Hotel is classed as a 5 star Hotel so I expected alot from my stay. Also this was our wedding anniversary which I mentioned in my comments on booking.

On driving into the grounds, the hotel is stunning. Doormen great you warmly and take your bags on arrival. The reception Area is just stunning. You are guided to the reception Area to the welcoming staff on Duty. Your bellhop then brings you to your room and gives a run down of all amenties and where you go for dinner, etc. So first appearances plus customer service - 5 stars.

Our Room looked out upon the Fountain plus Wicklow mountains. The room is huge with a walk in area for the closet. The bathroom is also very big with a rain shower which I love. Again 5 stars for the Room.

On our first night we decided to eat in the Irish bar as we were not hungry enough for a 5 course meal. I ordered Ribs and the chicken dish for the maincourse. My wife ordered a Burger. My Ribs were discustion, full of fat. My Chicken dish was laughable - you wont believe me but it was a snack box meal but not even a nice one. It was just deep fried wings of chicken with chips under it (Not even a chicken breast), dripping in fat from the chicken been placed ontop of it. I complained to the waitress/bar women but she just laughed at me and walked off. This dish cost me 20 euro. I'd rather eat a snack box meal in Supermacs than eat here again. Stay clear of the Irish bar in this Hotel, overpriced horrible food. I included this in my comment card and handed it into reception on departure but no apology has been forthcoming from the Hotel. This is where I think the 5 stars is slipping. So dinner in irish bar - 0 stars.

On the second day my wife went to the spa and I went to the gym. I am told the Spa is beautiful. Pity I cannot say the same for the gym. A huge let down for a gym in a 5 star hotel. Old equipment. Speakers at the back of the room for the music. I would expect surround-sound music, top class equipment, i.e. Power Vibrator Plate. A big let down.

We decided to go into town that night for dinner and drinks as the Hotel is very quite at night-time. We ate at a lovely Italian restaurant in Town. The food was beautiful and alot cheaper than the disaster food the night before. The pub next door had a band playing and the locals are very friendly.

Breakfast is the Hotel is very nice. Buffet food with eggs made to order.

On walking around the hotel on our last day at 12:30. The fountain Area was full of glasses from the wedding the night before so again this is where the 5 stars is slipping. No one monitors the outside of Hotel.

I cannot comment on the golf course as I didnt get time to play a round of golf but It looked like a really nice course.

So my stay was a tale of two halves. The first half a horrible dinner in the irish restaurant which wasn't fit for my dog.
The second half, a lovely spa day with dinner in the town which was gorgeous.

Based on all of this I would rate this Hotel 4 stars. you need to be perfect to get 5 stars and this stay was far from perfect. Also there was no mention of congrats on your wedding anniversary throughout my stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is the second time that we stayed at the hotel after a poor experience two years ago but looked at the positive tripadvisor reviews and thought that we would try it again. Unfortunately it still proved disappointing.

The hotel is stunning and the room was great but again we felt let down by the level of service, specifically after our experience in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant. When we booked I explained that we had a poor experience at the restaurant during our last stay but was assured that there were many changes, a new menu, more relaxed atmosphere etc.. but as it turned out, unfortunately no changes for the better.

Our waiter went to great lengths to explain that the duck was cooked medium rare as per the chefs recommendation but when we received our meal it was over cooked and tough! We also struggled to cut our loaf of bread with a 'butter knife' which was served with our cheeses!

It was also frustrating to constantly have to get the staffs attention to get our wine which was good quality but over priced. The wine menu is expensive and not that accessible unless you are very familiar with your Burgundys and Bordeauxs. You would consequently also hope for some assistance with the wine menu but none was offered which is not what you would expect when the average price is well over 100 Euros for a bottle.

In anycase, we decided not to make a fuss and to enjoy our night and I would not be writing this review but for the fact that the manager stopped us when we were leaving the restaurant to ask whether we had paid our bill! At the least, I would expect a 'Thank You, Come again' which is fairly standard even in McDonalds but this added insult to injury, especially as we had left a more than reasonable tip!

I complained at reception and they removed the tip and said that they would take note of my complaint which they obviously did not as when we checked out this morning we were asked how as our experience at the Ramsay restaurant! It was also worth noting that I was not a lone voice as the consensus amongst other diners who we met in the bar later was similar to ours and definitely does not live up to expectations.

On the positive side, all of the staff that we met at reception were very friendly and courteous and they also helped change our room so that we got a balcony. All in all, not worth the experience as it has all the trappings of a 5 star resort, especially the costs, but unfortunately not the service nor the attention to the customer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

From the moment we arrived my mother and I knew we chose the perfect place. Beautiful and serene with a classy, low-key elegance and an incredibly kind and helpful staff. Our week at the Ritz was as close as you can get to the perfect holiday. We stayed in the Mountain Suite-an elegant and comfortable space with a large all marble bath, large dressing room, living room area and separate bedroom. Our balcony outside was huge with breathtaking views. The concierge staff-Robbie and Kieran-never tired of us asking for thier opinion on where to visit in the area or where to eat, and printed off several directions to historic sites as we braved driving ourselves and rented a car (I recommend it! You get the hang of driving on the left after awhile and have the freedom to travel at will). Always smiling, relaxed and very funny, Robbie and Kieran truly seemed to enjoy what they do.

We spent a morning at the ESPA Spa together and loved the upbeat, energetic relaxed feel of it-not stuffy and overly hush-hush when you walk in. Once you are inside the treatment area of the spa, it melts into a calm and serene space. The experienced staff listened to our needs and were very kind and accomodating. Great way to spend a morning! Check out their amazing pool.

We crossed our fingers and made a reservation at Gordon Ramsay's restaraunt for a Thursday night after hearing questionable reviews. But happily, we weren't disappointed. The breast of duck was melt in your mouth, my mom ordered a watermelon salad that was unique and refreshing, the wine list is very good and our servers were charming. The total bill didn't make us keel over either-similar to high end restaurants in Seattle. My sons loved hearing that we ate at Ramsay's, his only restaurant in Ireland, after watching several of his shows : ) .

My parents are world travelers and my mom felt this was one of the best hotels she has visited, for it's beauty, great staff and service, and lovely rooms. I definitely agree! Can't wait to come back and share this with my husband and three boys! It was truly a little bit of heaven on earth.

Quick note: Ask for a pass to the River Walk-a beautiful, quiet and safe place for a long walk or run.

Also, be sure to have the hotel make a reservation for dinner at Emilia's in Enniskerry. A small, charming and very reasonably priced italian restaurant with yummy food. The Ritz will even drive you down to Emilia's and the restaurant will call the hotel when you are ready to be picked up.

And don't miss the Enniskerry antique shop, quirky and full of treasures. The owner is a gem.

Room Tip: If you use your American Express card to make reservations, ask them about a room upgrade. Mountain...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed in this hotel from 21st of May for 5 days. On arrival we where upgraded to a suite. When we settled on the first day they sent scones and tea to our room. The food was very good. throughout our stay. Staff very helpful and corteous. This was out 3rd stay in this hotel. we will be back

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Ritz Carlton. The positives: It was beautiful and peaceful. The room we had overlooked the grounds. It truly was paradise-verdant green everywhere. I would just stay there for the amazing bathtub. The service was superb. Everything was 5 star! If I had been with a romantic partner, I would say it would have been the perfect romantic getaway. The negatives: really only had to do with the location. It is a bit away from the city - about 40 minute drive. I drove and, being an American, driving for the first time on the wrong side of the narrow Irish roads, it was stressful. But other than that - it was an amazing, amazing place! I would absolutely stay there again, now that I'm an expert driver in Ireland :-)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Portadown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed over one night while down on a business trip, the service is just exceptional. The staff can't do enough for you, little things too many to quote.
Everone is friendly all do the simple tings say hello and smile. I stayed last year and breakfast was a bit lack-lustre. Thats changed breakfast matched the hotel superb
I'd love to stay more often its just a bit on the expensive side - I'm going to look for offers though!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed for a family weekend. From the valet greeting our stay could not have been better. The rooms (better call them suites) were luxurious, fabulous bathrooms and balconies looking out on the magnificent Sugarloaf mountains over a truly sylvan valley. The
Gordon Ramsay restaurant was such a treat. McGills pub - what a surprise!! And then there are all the attractions of the Powerscourt Estate - manor house, speciality shopping and the Avoca terrace overlooking the famous gardens. If you are a golfer (we are not) but they have 2 golf courses. We took the hotel buggy for a trip to the river walk - such a hidden secret. Finally was the buffet breakfast on the 3rd floor terrace - so good we did not want to check out. We have stayed at many of Irelands top resorts all were good but the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt is truly great!!

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!