This Hotel is classed as a 5 star Hotel so I expected alot from my stay. Also this was our wedding anniversary which I mentioned in my comments on booking.
On driving into the grounds, the hotel is stunning. Doormen great you warmly and take your bags on arrival. The reception Area is just stunning. You are guided to the reception Area to the welcoming staff on Duty. Your bellhop then brings you to your room and gives a run down of all amenties and where you go for dinner, etc. So first appearances plus customer service - 5 stars.
Our Room looked out upon the Fountain plus Wicklow mountains. The room is huge with a walk in area for the closet. The bathroom is also very big with a rain shower which I love. Again 5 stars for the Room.
On our first night we decided to eat in the Irish bar as we were not hungry enough for a 5 course meal. I ordered Ribs and the chicken dish for the maincourse. My wife ordered a Burger. My Ribs were discustion, full of fat. My Chicken dish was laughable - you wont believe me but it was a snack box meal but not even a nice one. It was just deep fried wings of chicken with chips under it (Not even a chicken breast), dripping in fat from the chicken been placed ontop of it. I complained to the waitress/bar women but she just laughed at me and walked off. This dish cost me 20 euro. I'd rather eat a snack box meal in Supermacs than eat here again. Stay clear of the Irish bar in this Hotel, overpriced horrible food. I included this in my comment card and handed it into reception on departure but no apology has been forthcoming from the Hotel. This is where I think the 5 stars is slipping. So dinner in irish bar - 0 stars.
On the second day my wife went to the spa and I went to the gym. I am told the Spa is beautiful. Pity I cannot say the same for the gym. A huge let down for a gym in a 5 star hotel. Old equipment. Speakers at the back of the room for the music. I would expect surround-sound music, top class equipment, i.e. Power Vibrator Plate. A big let down.
We decided to go into town that night for dinner and drinks as the Hotel is very quite at night-time. We ate at a lovely Italian restaurant in Town. The food was beautiful and alot cheaper than the disaster food the night before. The pub next door had a band playing and the locals are very friendly.
Breakfast is the Hotel is very nice. Buffet food with eggs made to order.
On walking around the hotel on our last day at 12:30. The fountain Area was full of glasses from the wedding the night before so again this is where the 5 stars is slipping. No one monitors the outside of Hotel.
I cannot comment on the golf course as I didnt get time to play a round of golf but It looked like a really nice course.
So my stay was a tale of two halves. The first half a horrible dinner in the irish restaurant which wasn't fit for my dog.
The second half, a lovely spa day with dinner in the town which was gorgeous.
Based on all of this I would rate this Hotel 4 stars. you need to be perfect to get 5 stars and this stay was far from perfect. Also there was no mention of congrats on your wedding anniversary throughout my stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Outstanding among luxury five star hotels in Ireland and set amidst one of the most scenic and historic estates in the country is Powerscourt Hotel, a 200-room resort showcasing Palladian-style architecture and offering guests a host of amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Marriott, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Enniskerry
- Enniskerry Ritz-Carlton
- Powerscourt Hotel - Autograph Collection Ireland/Enniskerry, County Wicklow