“Miserable measure of wine & the food was cold” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Irish, Vegetarian, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Miserable measure of wine & the food was cold”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Visited the restaurant today with my wife and she ordered cod & chips (€12.50) & I went for the vegetarian baked Brie & spinach filo (€13.50). Whilst waiting for the food I ordered a glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (€6.00). When I saw the amount of wine in the glass I pointed-out to the waiter that it was not a full-measure, however he insisted that he used a " proper measure" and it was correct. I reluctantly accepted his word but whilst drinking it I knew it was not a full measure and I consider this to be a poor service by some restaurant owners to enforce strict measures of wine - in this case a considerably less amount in my opinion. This set a poor taste-in-my-mouth (excuse the pun) for the meal.

When the food arrived, my wife's cod was excellent with a really light and great tasting batter and a considerable 2 x portions (unlike the wine). Whenever I get food served in a restaurant I check to see if the plate is hot and on this occasion it wasn't, and on tasting the food it was itself not hot enough. Can't understand why some chefs don't get this, hot food on a cold plate equals food that's going to get cold. I called the waiter and asked him to get the food heated and about a minute later he returned the plate and it was absolutely no hotter in fact it was probably less so. It is obvious that nothing was done to warm the food. The waiter was efficient and courteous so somewhat cocky so I decided to not bother asking again and just deciding never to go back. I finished the Baked brie and ate half of the cod as the veg option simply was not sufficient on its own.

When the bill arrived, the wine had gone-up by €1.00 to €7.00 to add insult to injury, however this was corrected when I pointed it out. if you like cod and chips this is the place for you but don't order any wine by-the-glass.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Way below what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife went for lunch. Service was unbelievably slow with only one other table with 3 eating. Both had different filled bagels. Both were horrible dry supposed to be on to rocket leaves, none in sight. Will defo not be back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good Food and Drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Arrived here on the recommendation of our hotel concierge. The restaurant is small and quaint and the staff is very friendly. Food was great, the deep fried brie is to die for....Yum. A lot of locals visit the restaurant so recommended to go before 7:00pm and I would highly suggest making a reservations.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stroke City NI
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Powerscourt Arms is a long-established hotel in Enniskerry. It is a family-friendly place. We arrived on a busy Sunday evening to a hearty gastropub meal and good service while out walking the Wicklow Way trail. Ticked all the boxes for me!

Visited July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Dreadful Meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had a terrible dinner in the bar of this hotel last Sunday 23 June. We came into this hotel for a meal at 6 p.m. approximately. We sat down and were waiting a long time for a waitress to bring us menus. I had the roast beef and my husband had the lamb shank. We were waiting so long for the food that I nearly felt like leaving it. Eventually it arrived. My beef was not very warm and I knew it was made either the day before or very early that day. It did not taste fresh. In fact it was tasteless, it was like as if it had been microwaved and dried out at the same time. Anyway it was very mediocre but almost edible. My husbands lamb shank was rancid. It was gone off. There was no nice sauce with it, the potatoes and vegetables were barely warm. I will never go back. It is the worst meal I have had in a while. No establishment should be allowed serve food like this.

• Visited June 2013