“Second return visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Dromoland

Save Saved
You added The Inn at Dromoland to your Saves list
The Inn at Dromoland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   on the N18 Limerick to Galway road | Dromoland, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland (Formerly Clare Inn Hotel)   |
Dublin
“Second return visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am just home after my 3rd visit to the Inn at Dromoland. I return there because of the excellent value for money and the friendliness of the staff and the wonderful hospitality offered to their guests. I was with my aunt who is now in her 85th year and she fell in love with the Inn also. Yes it is very family orientiated and they welcome children in a big way , but saying that they also have a full programme to amuse them. They do run around but is not that what kids do.

All the staff are trained to greet you but when you are in the dining room make sure you meet with Maureen she is a gem.

Hope to return again sometime on route to my annual visit to my home county of Kerry.

Enjoy your stay if you choose to go.

Jean O'Leary

Room Tip: Ground floor facing to the front. I requested ground floor this year and got it BUT it faced a cour...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear DublinAthlone,

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future,

441 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed for one night and were given one of the newly renovated rooms which was superb.
We had a dinner, bed and breakfast package for €100 for 2 on a Sunday night mid July which was a reasonable price, however, the evening meal was of very poor quality and mass produced hotel food. They had no choice of good wines and anything they had on offer (at €19.50 and €20.50 per bottle) could be bought abroad for €1.99 per bottle, dreadful stuff! I didn't visit the bar but my husband said that the service was ok and was a typical hotel bar and prices. The hotel seems to have had a "gloss over", new carpets here and there but holes in the floors underneath. If you have any walking problems - watch your step! This is really a family hotel and ideal for children but if you're looking for a nice relaxing break forget it. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and better than most hotels of a higher grade.
All in all, as I said, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear beegeeireland,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to your comments about our wine list - we did think we didnt have a varied selection on our wine menu and as a result we have just launched a new menu on Monday with prices starting at €15.95

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Room - Very dated, furnishings at least 20 years old, TV is actually a 13 inch tube (should be in a museum). The accumulation of the toilet running, kids running around the halls and very audible voices until late in the evening ruined my wife's night sleep. At our request we were moved on the 2nd night to the 3rd floor. It was better, and at least quieter, but still not good. No ventilation, muggy.

Pub - we went down to listen to some Irish music and were pleased to hear two Irishman singing a Celtic tune. That did not last long, it was followed my Kenny Rogers "You got to know when to hold 'em" and then "Lean on Me".We left.

Staff - a real plus, friendly, helpful and patient. However as good as they are they cannot over come the rest

In summary ... Stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark O,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding the issues you had while you were here.

I would be grateful if you could contact me on claire.coughlan@theinnatdromoland.ie

cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We booked this hotel specifically for the children's activities, and we were not disappointed. From the minute we arrived there was something to keep our two aged 6 and 4 occupied, excellent indoor play centre, swimming pool (children's area pretty small), kids club (3 euro) which have a range of activities that change every day, face painting and balloon art in the evening followed by the magic show one night and pirate disco another night.
There is also a well equipped games room for the older kids, and a family room with fridge, microwave and ironing boards .
We had all our meals in the hotel and the food was excellent, well presented and no delays. We stayed midweek and there were plenty of staff on duty.
There can be queues for the buffet at breakfast time, same as any other very busy hotel, but for no more than a couple of minutes.

Yes some areas of the hotel look a bit tired and dated, and yes there are a lot of children staying at the hotel so it can be noisy.

If you are looking for a quiet weekend away this may not be the hotel for you.
If you are looking for 5star luxury this may not be the hotel for you.

If you are looking for a place with a big family room, where the kids have so much entertainment you don't have to leave the hotel grounds, helpful staff and food to suit everyone's taste,
then this might be the hotel for you.

We will definitely be returning and would recommend to anyone with young kids.

Dear mariehurley H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate you posting such a concise and informative review.

Dingle, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Enjoyed our stay,only sorry our stay was short. Our room was newly refurbished, beautiful with a walk in shower. A big improvement ,from our previous vist ,when it was the Clare Inn.
Sunday lunch,was excellent with a great choice of Menu.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lifford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very satisfactory service at this hotel, very child friendly which was perfect for me travelling with 3 children under 4! Family kitchen was a great addition & proved very useful. One waiter,Izat,in particular was very good with the children & was more than accommodating when one of my children was sick as a result of the heat we experienced while travelling. I'll definitely be back again for a family holiday & would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Since travelling with young children we went with interconnecting bedrooms which proved to be great!
Dear PJ T,

Dear AnnF,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us at The Inn at Dromoland. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our staff member Izat - it is lovely to hear feedback about our team.

Maynooth, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at Dromoland Inn the weekend of the 12th of July. We had previously stayed in this hotel 2 years ago prior to it being purchased by the Dromoland group. Our previous experience had been disappointing, however on this occasion we had a wonderful experience. We stayed in one of the upgraded rooms, which was very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The new en-suite included a large power shower, which was wonderful! Although the room did not have air-conditioning, the large windows over looking the lush green lawns provided adequate ventilation and kept the room cool. Although the décor of the dining room is a bit dated, we found the dining staff incredibly helpful and the cooked breakfast which was self-service was one of the nicest breakfasts I had eaten in any hotel. In fact it was equivalent to a "cooked to order" breakfast. In addition, the hotel provides a kiddy club, which my shy 5year old loved!
While the décor is dated in some part of the hotel, if you are looking for a family friendly hotel, which is good value for money, with friendly staff. I would highly recommend this hotel. We look forward to a return trip very soon.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in one of the upgraded rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear mtd,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us here at the Inn at Dromoland. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely review.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Claire

Been to The Inn at Dromoland? Share your experiences!