“We really enjoyed it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Dromoland

You added The Inn at Dromoland to your Saves list
The Inn at Dromoland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   on the N18 Limerick to Galway road | Dromoland, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland (Formerly Clare Inn Hotel)   |
Kidwelly, United Kingdom
“We really enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I decided to take my daughter and grandchildren away for a few days while I was staying with them in Ireland, they had stayed at the Clare Inn 4 years previously and my daughter warned me that although they had enjoyed themselves then there were some bad reviews. The first thing I found when looking for a place to stay was that there were few hotels that catered for families of 2 adults and 3 children in 1 room. My daughter told me that her eldest son really wanted to go back to Clare Inn. Despite the bad reviews I decided to book a deal and chance it. I'm so glad I did! The staff were very friendly when we arrived and it was immediately apparent that children were welcome. The decor was a bit outdated but it was clean and tidy. Our room wasn't ready so they switched us to a room that was. It was a lovely big room with 2 single beds a king size bed and a settee that doubled as a bed if needed. The bed was very comfortable and my daughter said he had had the best sleep for ages. There was also a table and chairs, a large walk in wardrobe there were howevery not enough hangers and draw space was not great although shelves in the wardrobe provided ample space for our needs. The decor was clean and modern and the room generally clean and tidy. Our offer gave a bed and breakfast for 3 nights and 1 evening meal. I have to say that the food served was delicious, plenty to eat for breakfast with fruit, cereals, several different types of bread and rolls and a wonderful selection of cooked food. The staff were very riendly and the service good. There was a good selection of bar meals and the meal we had in the hotel restaurant on the one evening we ate there was excellent. Children were well catered for and obviously welcomed. The childrens club provided activies in the morning and evening with the very popular Captain Jacks show on 3 evenings a week - the children loved it.
The basic swimming pool provided the opportunity to go swimming although at times it was quite full. the outdoor playground was enjoyed by children of all ages as was the crazy golf and pitch and put. The indoor soft play area gave further opportunity for the children to let off steam and although it cost 4 euro to go in was well worth it. The service given was good and any problems reported were attended to although perhaps not immediately depending on what it was. Notices asked that parents made sure that children kept the noise levels down in the corridor after 10.45 which I think was reasonable but not always adhered to. The corridors to the bedrooms were not always as clean as they might be although they were cleaned every day. A room service tray was left out in the corridor over night and really no excuse for this. The window in our room didn't had a safety catch to prevent it opening right out however I did report this on checking out and was promised it would be seen to - I should have reported this sooner
perhaps no excuse! To sum up our experience we all really enjoyed ourselves, leaflets in the foyer were handy to plan outings, we could relax and not worry about every little noise the children made, we had good food in good surroundings would definately return. Well done to all the staff at Clare Inn

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 275 very spacious, good decor the room opposite 276 looked to be the same.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear craftycatkins,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay here at the Clare Inn Hotel.

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the kids were well entertained and enjoyed themselves too.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clare Inn Hotel in the future

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We travelled down to the Clare Inn for our anniversary last february. We went by train but we hadnt realised it was so far from Ennis Station, so we found the taxi fares a little steep. Other than that it was grand. Maybe not quite luxurious enough for a sexy break but it was clean and comfortable, and the reception staff were brilliant. We had nice fish and chips downstairs in the pub the first night but we got all glammed up and went out to The Townhouse restaurant at the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis, the second night. And, Oh my God, you have to go there! The food was the best we have ever had on a meal out, even my husband who is normally just too picky for words, really tucked in. We had a really nice time at the Clare Inn, but watch out for the woman who rations the breakfast buffet, i thought that was a bit mean.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear BusyMum_11,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Clare Inn Hotel. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clare Inn in the future.

CORK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Reception area was clean,with fresh flowers so i thought the bad reviews i had read had been acted upon.Reception staff were friendly but rooms not ready for another hour. Bathroom in adults room looked as if cleaning had been forgotten -previous occupant's spilled foundation,empty shampoo dispenser, plinth missing from bath.Entering adjoining children's room I tripped over TV cable trailing across doorway, connected with electricians tape! Curtain was hanging from pole even though hooks were on pole, no excuse for staff to not reattach it.Every single window I looked at was grubby. Windows opened onto roof with noisy heating/ventilation system going most hours,not conducive to sleep.Decided that we'd only use the hotel for sleeping ,noticed young children allowed in bar and lobby area as we re-entered to go to
bed at 11pm, and children roamed freely around hotel until after 1am. Charging for a towel at the pool is just unheard of anywhere else.On the plus side,water pressure was good and breakfast was fine (though the torn wallpaper outside the diningroom door would be easy to replace). Staff were friendly and young children seemed happily oblivious to the grime. I could go on,Speaking to reception staff,it seems that some rooms were upgraded but unfortunately we got an old one-old and tired decor I could accept, but not the downright dirt we saw! Cleaning superviser needs to pull their socks up!

Dear teresa S,

I am extremely disappointed to read your review and discover the issues you encountered while you were here. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay.

You can contact me on claire.coughlan@clareinnhotel.ie

Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I can understand the mix of reviews this hotel has received as it has serious pros and serious cons.

I'll start with the positives...

There is lots for families with free pitch 'n' putt, crazy golf, tennis and the leisure centre. The evening show for the kids is enjoyable, though as a music teacher/sound engineer I felt the volume was unnecessarily loud for the room, with the speakers facing width-ways rather than length-ways in the hall.

The dinners in the bar and restaurant were both enjoyable, with the service in the restaurant excellent. The bar was quite busy on the night we ate there and so was not as quick, but that's understandable. Breakfast in the restaurant had plenty of variety and as a previous poster said it was run very efficiently for the numbers staying in the hotel.

My 6yo and 3yo enjoyed the kids club activities, and a quick trip to the gym was enjoyable.

Before I mention the negatives I must point out that any issues we brought to the attention of staff were dealt with very quickly, politely and efficiently.

The first we encountered was our room. Upon entering we were hit with a wall of a mouldy/damp smell. The room looked quite drab, and with a young baby we were not happy to stay in it. We had a new room within 15 minutes with the help of the reception manager. The new room was a huge improvement, with no smell/damp and with a nicer decor.

Another issue was the public toilets around the hotel. 3 of the 5 cubicles I attempted to use in the common areas of the hotel were blocked. On each occasion I brought it to the attention of the staff, but did not return to check!!

The aforementioned crazy golf was a bit bland. It hadn't much variety and the concrete surface was not the most suitable. The pitch 'n' putt was well tended, but the tee markings were missing and the flags had no numbers, meaning that it was impossible to tell for sure which tee was for which hole, or which order to play a round in!

There were indeed children roaming the corridors till all hours as another poster mentioned, but I didn't find it interrupted my sleep too much - perhaps I was too tired after the busy days!

The other negative for me was the pool, where there was only hot water in one of the showers in the men's changing rooms, and none of the women's. The pool was quite cold, and all of the step-ladders into it wobbled a little which didn't inspire confidence! The shower in the spa area was also broken which meant no showers between sauna/steam room/jacuzzi etc.

Overall this is a hotel with some great facilities, but many of them need some t.l.c. (or complete overhaul!). The staff are very responsive to any issues raised. If you get lucky and have fine weather there you will be spoiled for choice. If you wait till next summer they will hopefully have sorted out all of the issues, and then it could be an excellent hotel!

Room Tip: If you're unhappy, don't be afraid to say it!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ClaireCoughlan, Manager at The Inn at Dromoland, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear KevandCar,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn Hotel.

I am pleased to see that for the most part you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to point out the negatives you experienced while you were here but I am happy to see that your issues were rectified quite quickly for you.

I hope that this wont deter you from coming back to the Clare Inn Hotel in the future. If you would like to return in the future please contact me directly on -------- and I will ensure you are well looked after.

Longford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is very good value for the money. Our package included dinner on the first night - unfortunately we didnt make it in time for the restaurant that night (our fault) but were accomodated in the bar. I had the loveliest Caesar salad.
Staff were hard working and very friendly and I thought breakfasts were lovely. The decor may be a little tired but there is something homely about this place.
Only round the corner from Dromoland castle, so convenient if you want to visit there without paying the 5 star rate.
It cost us more to have coffee there the next day than dinner in the Clare Inn the night before!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Ela477,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clare Inn Hotel in the future,

Kildare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We were booked in for two nights and checked out after one. The hotel was totally unsupervised with children running around everywhere and in the bar till well after 12 midnight. They were lying on floors, in doorways on the steps of the stairs and others running mad, climbing on furniture, total madness. They were running along the corridors still at 1.30am. This seemed to be acceptable behaviour after speaking with a member of staff. If its a relaxing break away you want think again.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and it was extremely noisy.
Dear Hilly2338,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Clare Inn hotel.

I am extremely disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do try to control the level of children who are around the hotel - I am sure you will have seen that we have signs up around the hotel as well as on the kids programme and the information sheet that children are not permitted around the hotel after 10.45pm. This is then up to the parents to follow our guidelines and have the children off the corridors after this time. I am sure you will appreciate how difficult it is for the hotel to control other people's children.

If you wish to discuss your stay any further please contact me on -------

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011 via mobile

Just back from a 3 day break, we all had a great time, lots for the kids to do, room was fine , pool was clean (any problems from previous posters must have been sorted) hotel was fully booked and everyone I spoke to said they would be back. The bar could do with a bus boy for clearing tables , that's the only fault I could mention. staff all lovely and work very hard . Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Orlaf7,

I am delighted to see that both you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will see you back at the Clare Inn Hotel in the near future,

Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to The Inn at Dromoland? Share your experiences!