“Loved Dromoland but...there is a small but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dromoland Castle Hotel

You added Dromoland Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Dromoland Castle Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limerick-Ennis Road | Co.Clare, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland   |
Offers & Announcements
Royal Offer- 3 for 2
Kinsale, Ireland
“Loved Dromoland but...there is a small but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Spent 2 nights here for a winter break which we got for reasonable rates. My first introduction was of extremely friendly and helpful staff and there to accomodate your every need and make you feel comfortable. We were upgraded to a junior suite (or maybe it was a deluxe room) on arrival. Nice room, liquors waiting for us, the most comfortable slippers I have yet received in hotels, newly renovated...only issue, it was cold on the first night and also the plumbing made some interesting noises which somehow disappeared on the 2nd night. We ate in the Gallery as I wasnt up to the rich food in the Earl Of Thomond restaurant and if you are watching your wallet, this is not the place to eat...so back to the Gallery which is literally the area outside of the restautant with a limited menu...the Food is where I was overall most disappointed as I didnt think it was anything special and not value for money e.g. 2 fish and chips 42 euros plus service charge. Relaxed in the drawing room afterwards by the fire which was lovely. There isn't much to do here in the way of evening activity and does provide therefore for a relaxed chill out break - note dinner jackets must be worn in the bar and restaurant after 7pm...
The following day, we did a jaunty around Clare as it was years since I had been there. We decided to head for the country club the following night to eat and again unfortunately I didnt think this was anything special in the way of food. I have heard great reviews of the Earl of Thomond but I shouldnt expect to pay €32 for chicken for it to be nice. That evening, we spent again in the drawing room playing Trivial Pursuit as provided by the hotel. We ordered desserts which for an apple crumble was €11.50. Now I am not a mean person but I like value for money and while this was divine, again I dont think €11.50 for an apple crumble is reasoable...
Daytime, you can stroll the gardens, go fishing on the lake, play golf, use the pool and lesiure centre, go to the spa, do some shooting if that takes your fancy but dont expect to go here for lively entertainment.
Breakfast cannot be faulted...friendly staff, excellent choice on menu and fabulous fruit and freshly squeezed juices.

Lastly the spa, we went there when we arrived on Day 1..My partner had a facial and I had the heavenly bliss experience...lovely gowns provided, nice relaxed environment...overall it was nice but I have had better but this could have been down to me rushing to get there on time and not being relaxed enough to enjoy it...in fact I just wanted it to end after 1.5 hours to be honest...they only use 2 products Anne Semonina and Voya. Relaxation room was nice - fabulous chairs.
In summary, this is a beautiful hotel, very plush and luxurious and hard to fault. My main gripe was lack of evening activity (but I can understand that) and the food and value for such...other than that I would go back, but better prepared for other options in the evenings.

• Liked — Luxury
  • Disliked — Food and its value for money
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

Came for the weekend to a 30 year College class reunion, and met up with many old friends. Very courteously greeted, and got a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite. Meals were excellent, buffets, dinners, and breakfasts consistently excellent. Room was very well appointed, comfortable with all mod cons. Reception areas were very comfortable, service staff were very helpful, especially the Irish ones! Banquet facilities were very good. Only quibble was trying not to get lost in the maze of corridors that run through the hotel. Walled garden, the boating lake, golf course, pheasant farm were very pleasant to explore at leisure.

• Liked — Feeling pampered
  • Disliked — expensive
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

This is an amazing stay. The staff is very warm and welcoming. The rooms are a blast from the past. I even witnessed men getting ready for a fox hunt. Basically, this hotel will take you back in time. Just make sure you take a coat with you if you plan on eating in the dining room, because it can get kind of fancy around there.

• Liked — Sleeping in a Castle
  • Disliked — A little fancy at times
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

I spent a two nights at Dromoland. Its been 7 or 8 years since I was last there. The overall experience was heavily dependant on the two fantastic porters John and Tom who together made my stay wonderful - their charm, wit and enthusiasm for what they do was so refreshing in an era of souless hotel stays.

While I still think Dromoland is a unique property at an Irish level, it is getting a bit faded from an international perspective. The interior is not as sharp as it could be - warrens of corridoors look a little tatty and dated looking. There are 5 star properties internationally that would operate at a much higher level.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Getting a bit dated
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

I recently spent a weekend in Dromoland Castle and it truly was one of the most pleasant, memorable experiences of a lifetime. It had been 10 years since my last visit there and am delighted to report that the Castle has retained its elegance, excellent service and first rate, most attentive staff. I had a really delightful room with what must be the best shower I have ever taken (it was like a fire hose!). The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. Well done Dromoland, keep up the good work! I had a wonderful Saturday afternoon in the Spa. That full body massage was extremely relaxing followed by some time in the outdoor hot tub. An incredible hotel that really lives up to its 5 star rating.

• Liked — Staff, Sevice and Food
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Malaga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

Just finished our stay at the most fantastic hotel ever....... wow what a place. Of course its impressive it a real castle but you can get tjem anywhere but the staff are outstanding everyone of them, food great, activities brill. New spa which is great staff a little nervous but bery nice and helpful.

it saddened me to see other guests being nasty to staff.... everybody does their best. we are all on hols and should relax. ... be nice to the staff they work really hard. I had no prolems wilth any of them.

Already looking forward to next trip there to be totally spoiled yet again.

Stayed October 2007
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed the luxury of this worldclass property. Got a special rate booking a few months ahead, after checking all the castles for the two weeks we were in Ireland, I rearranged the itinerary to take advantage of a 200 euro internet special. Of course, we gave the savings back by letting them convince us to do the formal dinner where the jackets are required (though supplied) and a highly tip was added to the bill. Everyone wanted to stay longer. Must admit that I couldn't bring myself to leave the room key, so I can delude myself that I still have "a key to the castle."

• Liked — luxury
  • Disliked — formality can be a bit stuffy, but staff was extremely pleasant
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!