Visited the Sunday Carvery on Bank holiday weekend after hearing good reviews. Booked for 2.45 arrived and were seated by 2.50. First impressions were that it is a big room, very busy and quite noisy.
Good things, Quality and variety of starters, main course and what was left of the desserts. At 20 euros this is a competitively priced meal, the wines are also very reasonable.
Disappointing things, No water offered at table, vegetable soup is quite boring, noisy children running around the restaurant, the floor resembled a war zone in places food and napkins discarded at will, hot desserts had run out and there was no intention of replacing them, starters included spare ribs i.e finger food but no napkins were available to clean hands afterwards.
On a busy day any Carvery will be under strain however some things are fundamental to become a great one. The last customer in, is entitled to the same selection as the first. Not bothering to replace all of the hot desserts before they run out is cheap, lazy, penny pinching and unforgivable. This and other disappointing things can be addressed quite easily.
One thing that cannot be changed is the very size of the place, it feels like a noisy works canteen at times. This place will never feel intimate for romantic couples.
All this being said, the place was incredibly busy the locals love it, you would do well to book, the food was really very good and well worth the money. Its probably ideal for large families and family celebrations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inishowen Gateway Hotel is located just outside the picturesque town of Buncrana on Donegal's Inishowen Peninsula. The hotel commands stunning views of the majestic Lough Swilly leading out on to the Atlantic Ocean. The hotel has 80 well appointed en-suite bedrooms, many of which overlook the lake. Some of the facilities are the Gateway Health & Fitness Club, Seagrass Wellbeing Centre, Planet Active for kids & The Peninsula Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Despegar.com so you can book your Inishowen Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inishowen Gateway Hotel Buncrana
- Inishowen Gateway Buncrana