“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tullamore, Ireland
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here recently. Lovely rooms at an affordable price and they are huge rooms too. Very clean overall and the staff are very helpful. Good pool/gym and sauna facilities. The only downside was the food in the bar, the portions were tiny.... I had the chicken dish and I was sure I had received a child's portion, it was that small on the plate. There were 'creamed' potatoes on the side, but somewhere along the line I really believe somebody failed to add the cream, as they were so dry they were almost powder-like. Apart from the food that night the rest of my stay was very good and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed with my sisters and friends at the hotel overnight which included a little spa treat. From start to finish from the receptionist to the lovely John (Barman) & the beauticians at the Spa our stay was brillant the staff exceptional!. The rooms were lovely clean and comfortable and the leisure facilities and pool were wonderful. All our requests were taken care of. Hope to go back there very soon and recommend it for families, friends or just a lovely wee break. It was also very reasonably prices....another reason to go back!

Room Tip: Speak to the staff they are more than accomodating!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
dundalk co louth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be warm, clean and very friendly, Room was clean, large and excellent value. I had food in the bar and it was the only thing I could complain about as I found portion was very small. Breakfast was excellent, lovely buffet and lots of food. I definetley would visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Co Mayo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was a bit dubious after reading some reviews however we had a fabulous time. Hotel lovely and clean. Room was spacious and beds comfy. Not modern but good. Glad I requested room upstairs. View over carpark and mountains was disappointing at 1st but I soon got over it! we weren't in the room long anyways. Receptionists not overly friendly though which would be my only gripe. Food in restaurant excellent for dinner and breakfast on both days. If we didnt get tea which we did I would simply have asked for it! Bar food was lovely also. Kids loved the playtime and the swimming pool was great along with sauna and steam room. Close to beach, playground and Buncrana. Biggest regret is not booking a third night! Bar next door was nice for a drink while kids were safe back at the hotel. weddings took place both nights and didn't hear any disturbance whatsoever - we were in a room close to the leisure centre so away from area of weddings. Had to walk to playarea but who wouldn't need the exercise :) Fabulous and will recommend to all friends - although would get them to check that the play area would be open and def request an upstairs room.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room - if possible overlooking golf course
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Co. Down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great stay at Inishowen Gateway on Sat 1st and Sun 2nd June with my wife and three kids. Many plus points - Large family room, plenty of room in child friendly hotel, great pool and leisure facilities, kids loved planet active and movie nights and the food was very good and reasonably priced. I would recommend the hotel to all families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I purchased the Grabone deal for this hotel for a 2 night stay from thursday 23rd until Saturday 25th May for me and my wifes 1 year wedding anniversary and I can say its been one of the worse hotel experiences I have ever endured and I can assure you that I will never return and will spread bad rep to my friends and family to avoid this shambolic hotel and i don't know if it was just a series of misfortunate bad luck but other reviewers appear to me moaning like me (and rightfully so).

Once i puchased the deal I explained via email it was my 1 year wedding anniversary and could we be possibly br upgraded to a suite and i would prove it by providing my marriage certificate, the slow response i finally got from the reservation manager was they would provide me with a bridal suite but for half price over the 2 nights which was still a ridiculous price. I didnt want a bridal suite anyway i just wanted a normal suite but replied saying to just leave it.

When we arrived at the hotel (nice foyer) just over a week after booking we weren't exactly welcomed as most receptionists do a good job off. we were just given our card keys where the room was located without any explanation of our grabone perks and how it operated. We went to our room and eventually got in after our cards didnt register and had to go back down to receptionist to get it fixed. The decor of the room was lovely had no faults with it BUT the view was the carpark with no scenery whereas the opposite side of the hotel overlooked Buncrana Golf course and lough swilly.
Normally i don't do this but given the occasion with my wife and to make it special for her I went back down to reception and explained it was our 1 year wedding anniversary and could i please get a sea view room instead. The response i got was a €10 supplement charge per night, i decided id just not tell the missus about this fiasco and accept the offer only to be told "actually there is no seaview rooms available for both nights". I wasnt bothered about no rooms being available but just wanted to make a point AGAIN that the hotel just werent helping in making our stay special whatsoever with the crafty supplement charge.
Since i was at receptionist at this point i decided to get some answers on our grabone perks, since they were never explained to us on arrival (free glass of wine when dining in their restaurant, complimentary round of golf and 30% off Spa treatments) I was told for golf n spa to come to reception and they would inform the Spa and golf club of our arrival and regarding the glasses of wine i was presented with a voucher to use at the restaurant which i said i would dine in the following evening as that day was our official wedding anniversary day. What astounded me was why weren't we informed about all this on arrival???
We decided to go to the bar downstairs for a bite, barman on that night to be fair was nice which is the only reason i tipped him, the lamb shank i ordered was horrendous, it was the toughest fattiest meat i have ever had to tackle and i didnt even eat half of it as you couldnt! Worst €15 i ever spent!
The next morning went to
breakfast at the Pennisula restaurant in the hotel on the 2nd floor, was seated by a waiter by the window overlooking lough swilly and we thought happy days maybe our fortunes have turned but then were asked did we want tea, we said yes but we never got it, 2 or 3 families behind us came in and got there teapots with the same waiter.After 15 minutes we asked a waitress can we have tea again. Maybe the waiter forgot the tea because of a foul mouth customer sitting behind me interrupted us at that point and said to the waiter to 'deal with him after he finished with us' i was so angry and disgusted with this customer so i can understand if maybe the waiter didnt hear us say 'Yes' (for tea).
We had a fry for that breakfast and at times it felt like i was gulping just grease it was just horrible. I came to the conclusion that i didnt care about the complimentary glass of wine I would have in the same restaurant that night, i simply was not eating in that restaurant for our wedding anniversary dinner.
Instead we went to the Drift Inn next door and simply just WOW they exceeded expectations and made our trip very special indeed, Couldnt rate them high enough the restaurant , food and bar were all fantastic, please go there if ur ever in the area, its just a pity they are based beside these ejjits at the hotel who cant look after their customers properly.
Early next morning (saturday)i decided to go use my complimentary golfing while the Mrs slept. I thought i would go to get breakfast and get cereal, tea and toast only ( trying no fry this time thats for sure!!) i waited to be seated, was asked by a waitress my room number, then asked was i here before i said i was here yesterday and she said 'you should know where things are then' i said yea and she left me to it to get my own seat, never asked me once for tea (every1 else had teapots on their tables) and it was a good 15 minutes before I gave up and had to ask a waitress to get me tea.
After that 2nd disaster for breakfast i headed straight down to receptionist in my full golf gear just around 9:05am stating i was going to play golf and was told i needed to inform reception. The receptionist contacted the golf club and her reply was ' competitions are on from 9am, you wont be able to tee off until 2pm i rolled my eyes up into the air and just said RIGHT! And walked off to my room! We were checking out that day at 12pm that day and im sure my wife did not want to wait around for me playing golf. I was so annoyed at the fact they never informed me about competitions are on nearly every saturday to me on arrival as i assumed the course was for hotel residents only. My wife kept urging me to play on the friday but because it was our actual anniversary day i didnt want to just abandon her and said i would play while she slept the next morning ( it backfired drastically).

So basically we never got to use our perks i.e the free wine when dining, the free golf and the 30% spa treatments simply because we thought it would be money wasted after what we witnessed!
The only thing that was decent was the leisure facilities they provided.

My wife showed me when we got home that our room number was actually marked off and our room number was manually written down with 'grabone deal' beside it, the number marked off was actually a seaside view, i am not at all surprised by this outcome, we were sinpky relocated and turfed into the opposite end simply because we had a Grabone deal and treated like dirt. i am just disgusted by the whole ordeal and i hope you had the time to read this whole review and seriously reconsider not staying. Not surprised to see the Peninsula Restaurant based in that hotel bottom in the buncrana list.

Inishowen Gateway hotel, have a serious word with yourselves! Get a decent chef in and train your staff to be more informative for guest arrivals!

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

arrived here today for the weekend... went in to this hotel as my husband is rugby man and wanted to see the lions march.

blonde haired lady behind the bar who was also waitressing had the personality of a dish cloth! ordered two drinks and my husband asked if the volume could be turned up on the tv in order to hear the rugby commentary, to which we didn't think was abig ask considering there was only two other people in the place. the volume wasn't turned up so on ordering the second drink i asked kindly once more and it was turned up one notch but could not hear it!

staff could learn to b friendly

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Inishowen Gateway? Share your experiences!