“Great for a family holiday.” 5 of 5 stars

Avon Ri
| Burgage, Blessington, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Blessington
Drogheda, Ireland
“Great for a family holiday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed 2 nights last year and decided to stay for a week this year with our 13yr old boy. We enjoyed our time so much that we've already decided to stay for a fortnight next year. Our son just loved the adventure club and made friends easily although we would suggest that Avon Ri highlight what's available in the clubs more strongly on its website.

We were very impressed with the forest/lakeside walk and can see that work is ongoing in that respect, well done!

The optimum view of the lake from the bar is breath taking but we were very disappointed with the bar food and would hope they might restore last year's menu, which we loved. We would also suggest that there is no need for live music in the bar, especially amplified music as the view is enough of an attraction. Having said that, if there has to be music, there needs to be some vetting of the quality of the performer. On one occasion the 'musician' was so poor and so loud that we felt forced to dine elsewhere.

The houses are clean and functional and while they will sleep 6, they are not suitable for 6 adults mainly because of a compact living area which seats just 4. The bedrooms are spacious and 2 are en-suite but the water pressure is very low making it difficult to shower and impossible if all 3 showers are on at the same time.

But all in all as said at the outset, we love Avon Ri and look forward to our next holiday there.

Dear Glad_Dad_Me_Lad,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stayed and thrilled to see you have already booked for next year... We really look forward to welcoming you back!

I have taken all your comments on board regarding our menu, advertising, music, showers etc and will deal with each accordingly.

See you next year!

Laura, Valerie & The Avon Ri Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We completed a wonderful horseback trek with Wolftrek.ie and the fresh air was so wonderful it gave us all an amazing appetite. It was late afternoon so we opted to have desserts at the Avon Ri along with a pot of tea for the grandparents. The place was busy and we saw lots of food being served. It looked good. We had pavlova, rhubarb crumble and bailey's cheesecake. Very yummy. Very much worth it and would recommend this place to stop by and view the fantastic views. We all decided we should return!

Dear CuppaTay,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your desserts and I have passed on your comments to our Chef's and kitchen team.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Laura, Valerie & The Avon Ri Team
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here recently along with some of my boyfriends family, what can I say, it was pretty amazing, even if it did rain! We rented two houses as there were 7 adults and 4 kids in our group! The houses are modern and very clean with all the amenities that you need on a short break. We ate in the bar on both nights that we stayed, the menu is limited and basic but the food is amazing. The views at Avon Rí are just unbelievable and there is plenty to do for kids over the age of 4. The staff were also amazing, telling us about the history of the area, etc. Overall, I would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone looking for a self catering break!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Barbaramcm,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort.

We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Avon Ri.

I have passed on your lovely comments to our team.

Thank you for recommending our resort, that means a lot to us!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Kind regards,

Laura, Valerie and The Avon Ri Team.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a fantastic 4 day stay in Avon Ri with my husband and 3 children. From the moment we arrived we got that holiday feeling, the receptionist made us all feel so welcoming. We were given house number 37 which was quite spacious and clean. 3 bedrooms with 2 ensuites, nice sizes living/dining area. Outside was a great big area for the kids to play and a patio area. We requested at reception some patio furniture as there was none when we arrived, within 15minutes they had delivered some down to us.

There was lots of activities for us to do from the indoor swimming pool, sailing, Tennis, Mountain biking through the forest, zip wire, Clay pigeon shooting and 5 a side soccer. All activities are an added expense from €10-€50. The staff in the activity centre were so helpful and really great with the kids.

The only things I would recommend is to place a kids room with Pool tables, games etc as there really isn't much to do for toddlers and younger children. The playground is good but it could do with more things like swings, monkey bars etc....

We stead from Tue-Sat and there was only music on one of the nights, the place would benefit to having more entertainment especially during the summer months. Also €50 for 3 hours on a boat is great but we gave it back a little over and hour later as it got quite boring, there should be an option to rent for 1hour at €25.

We ate in the bar 3 out of the 4 nights and each night the food was delicious (compliments to the chef)

All in all I'd recommend this for families and anyone looking for a bit of adventure. We will be back again.

• Stayed July 2013
Avon R, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear BCK10,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort. I am delighted to read that you found us to be a 'Hidden Gem' and that you were so happy with your stay.

I have taken you comments on board regarding a childrens play room and additions to our play ground and this will be discussed at our next board meeting. I have also passed on your comments to our Activities Team regarding an hourly boat charge.

I am really pleased you enjoyed our bar food and I have also passed on this review to our chef and bar & kitchen teams.

It is great to read you will be returning to us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We usually holiday in west cork/Kerry area. So for a change I looked up Wicklow and decided to go with Avon Ri. I rang and asked in advance (3 months) about houses as there was only 2 of us we wanted romantic cosy house. I was not told that this is basically an activity centre for family holidays. I requested a house with lake view only to be surrounded by views of houses. Judging by pics advertised (fabric sofa and luxury master bedroom) I requested this house again ignorned. The house itself was quite spacious but unfortunately smelt of smoke I was gutted right from the start. Frying pans and saucepans were filty dirty, there was no tea towels or washing up liquid just 1 dishwasher tablet which we saved for the end!! No out side furniture nothing. It was quite noisey at night time which woke us each night. Receptionist was not very friendly one night i rang to see if there were any nice restaurants in area but all she could recomend was their own!!! I wasnt even asked did i enjoy stay when checking out, i was just mad to get home. Never again would i stay in avon ri, which for the 2 of us, was very expensive for what we got.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear SineadA37,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort, we greatly value customer feedback however on this occasion I am very concerned to read your comments.

I would be greatful if you could contact me direct at laura@avonri.com so that we can discuss further as I would like to try to restore your faith in our resort.

Laura Stopforth,
Manager.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from an unexpected 2 days in Avon Ri.My son and his wife and family were staying there,so we drove up to them and ended up staying over.It is a really lovely complex,the scenery is just spectacular and we were blessed with fantastic weather.They had a 3 bedroomed house which was lovely, 2 bedrooms on-suite,and another bedroom downstairs with a bathroom right beside it.The kitchen was very well equipped,cooker,fridge. microwave,dishwasher,washing machine,and all utensils you could need,also a nice small patio area outside the back door with table and chairs.the complex itself is spotlessly clean and well maintained,and the staff very friendly and helpful.It has a nice bar with a terrace area outside and an adaquate bar menu. It also has a swimming pool and gym and a host of water sport activities,although I thought some of these were a bit pricey.My son hired a boat with an outboard motor for cruising the lake,50 euro for 3 hours,we got bored after an hour and a half so returned it early.They should consider renting at an hourly rate,it might just prove profitable.A couple of things I would suggest is a bigger playground for the smaller children as the one at there now is very small with 3 slides and little else,also a few more indoor activities, maye a games room with pool tables and other stuff for when the weather is bad.But over all I would highly recommend Avon Ri for a relaxing holiday,it is a lovely place in a beautiful setting.

Dear AntoMDublin,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort. We greatly value customer feedback and I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and found our resort to be a lovely place with good accommodation and a friendly team.

I have taken on board your comments surrounding our playground and activity centre and will discuss these with the owner of the Activity Centre.

We hope to see you again soon!

roy79
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

The Avon ri resort probably called something else before, the houses are a bit of old but quite clean. We had to sweeping the floor again for our crawling baby. The kitchen is not the most modern but is ok when only staying for 2 nights.

The resort has a variety of activities for adult and children. for infants and babies, there are farm animals to look at near the main building and a play ground. Want to see more cows and sheep, just go to the entrance of the resort. The restaurant seems ok, but we didn't try the food only a pint Guinness which is surprisingly excellent. If you want to cook own meal or buy some groceries or baby food, nearest tesco extra is in naas 30min drive.

We had a house sleeps 6, which has two floors with one bedroom downstairs and two upstairs. The rooms upstairs are very spacious and each bedrooms has its own bathroom with showers. They could easily put in more 2 more beds in each room. There was no dishing liquid and only one bar of soap when we checked in.

Blessington is very good situated for driving to Wicklow throughout the Wicklow gap or drive north to Sally gap or explore westward. The town itself is a bit dull...

Oh please do note that when check in the receptionist write down the credit card details on their booking paper (a very strange thing to do), make sure that they erase this information when you leave.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Roy79,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort, we greatly value customer feedback.

I am pleased you found the houses to be spacious and enjoyed our facilites, including your pint of Guinness!

I would like point out that we do not keep your credit card details written down after you depart as this information is shredded.

Kind regards,

Laura, Valerie and The Avon Ri Team.

Been to Avon Ri? Share your experiences!