“my review of Avon Ri” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
ireland
“my review of Avon Ri”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

very surprised to read comments from another guest that stayed around the same time as myself as our experience was quiet the opposite , we found the cleanliness to be a good standard and the service I received @ reception was excellent from a lady called Isabel if my memory services me correct, the food in the restaurant was amazing and very good value, if we could of bought the weather everything would of been perfect and myself and my family will look forward to maybe getting another break before the start of next seasons school year as the children had a ball & it was great to see them playing out doors, many thanks to all the staff of Avon Ri for providing us with a much needed break.

Avon R, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Ann654,

Thank you kindly for your positive comments on all areas of our business it really means a lot. We take all our reviews on Trip Advisor very serious.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you return in the near future

The Avon Ri Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed in Resort from 18th to 21st March 2013. Got great deal from Groupon but had an extra charge of €50 to pay for our Dog, who came with us. 2 friends from UK were to join us but had to cancel, glad it was only my husband, myself and our dog because of the very poor standards that we faced in the house when we arrived. There was a "hole" at the Front door, a used bar of soap on the ground and cigarette buts, the shrubbery around the front of the house was strewn with rubbish. When we got into the house, it just got worse! Kitchen was filty dirty, I had to wash down the doors of the kitchen units before touching them, fridge inside and out was a disgrace. Dining room chairs and sitting room chairs had all to be washed down, food particles on all. Front window and french door glass filty too, obviously a small child was in the house before us, but the "Cleaners" did not do their job. There was about 4 dishwasher tablets and a "dirty" tee towel in the press under the sink. Only 3 knives and 5 forks (2 that would tear the mouth off you, if used), this was a house to sleep 6 people?? I also had to wash down the bannister of the stairs and the lockers at the side of out bed, totally filty dirty. The duvet cover was thankfully clean but had a tear in the seam of it, at the top. But the final straw was that there was 3 condoms in the Dressing table drawer, at least still in their packs!!! We complained to the Receptionist when checking out, she apologised but used the excuse that the "Cleaners" where from a Company that the Resort hired in,we asked if there were not "spot checks" carried out and she stated that the Cleaning Company carry them out? We suggested that the Resort should carry out their own "spot check" and she made the excuse that with at least 25 houses being let out at one time, that this would not really help. Don't think she really cared?? She did reduce the charge for our dog to €25 euro even though the house was cleaner after the dog staying it that it was when we arrived. She suggested that we should have made our complaint when we arrived and the "cleaners" would have been called back in. But as our stay was for only 3 nights, we did not wish to sit around waiting for our house to be "re-cleaned" before we unpacked and also felt better to do it ourselves. To finish on a positive note, the Resort is on a beautiful setting, houses very warm and well laid out. Resort is very convenient to touring parts of Wicklow, we had a lovely day in at Russborough House and Glendalough on the 19th and the weather was kind enough to us too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Avon R, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
DublinGer D,

I am really shocked to read your review and I am in the process of investigating exactly what happened during you stay and I will contact you as soon as I find some answers.

I really appreciate your feedback

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We booked two houses as we got a very good deal on the Groupon and 10 of us went for a 3 day weekend stay. My initial thought when drivng into the resort was that the grounds and houses were very well maintained and kept. I was a little worried with the drive through the industrial estate as I though I turned wrong, but the very good signage all the way out the road was a great help.
The houses are huge inside and if anything the bedrooms should be smaller and th kitchens should have been made bigger, but there is still a massive amount of space in the houses, which are extremely comfortable and modern. Another bonus is the views over the lake which are breathtaking and very accessable fromt he houses. We didnt do anything as the weather was cold and drizzly, but i can imagine theres plenty to do in the summer. The swimming pool is small, but I thought very clean and did the job (I suppose in the height of summer season it could get very crowded).
We ate in the restaurant on Friday evening and they had a 3 course meal for 2 with a bottle of wine for €50 (hard to beat that). The food was really good and cant complain about the service or quality of the food. They even gave the kids something (pasta) that wasnt on the menu) when asked.
Its a very calm relaxing place where youll definatly chill and recharge the batteries (be a great place for a mediation weekend or yoga during the winter).
I would say that they need to have a more detailed welcome pack with prices, activitys and especially a map of the resort and area. We found a lovely wooded walk down at the end, the day we were heading home and only found it by accident.

Dermot B,

Great to hear your weekend stay in Avon Ri was just what you were looking for. If you ever need anything please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

We always pride ourselves in making the customer as relaxed as possible during their stay

See you again soon

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay in Avon Ri, had a fantastic time staff, accommodation and the facilities were fantastic best short holiday I've had in a long time. Brilliant for Family holidays there was 14 of us and a couple of kids and the staff were so nice with the kids and accommodating us for meals.

Lola 13m,

Thank you kindly for your comments.

It is nice to know that all our hard work is appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We ( 4 friends) stayed in one of the houses. We found the standard of hygiene very poor. We had to wash the crockery and cutlery and we found bread under the couch (when we moved it nearer to the fire) oh! we found a box of ice cream in the freezer compartment of the fridge. Needless to say we didn't stay for the 3 nights. These matters were brought to the attention of Reception but no one ever followed up on it despite numerous calls and email. All in all we will not be returning to the Avon Ri

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Joan,

Sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant experience in Avon Ri. We have taken your feedback very serious and as a result new procedures have been put in place to ensure this will not happen again.
I would like to thank you for your comments as we appreciate any feedback in order to exceed customers expectations.

Kind Regards,

Avon Ri Team
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have just returned from my second visit to Avon Ri, there were 4 adults and 2 children and we availed of a Groupon deal which gave us a 3 night stay for including a late check out and bottle of wine for €150. We had previously stayed here in 2010 and found our second visit wasn’t just quite as good as our first.

I thought the house we stayed in this time wasn’t as well laid out as the house we previously stayed in; it has 3 huge bedrooms - 2 en-suite and the large bathroom right beside the third bedroom, so it is as good as an en-suite. However the kitchen is small, with a small fridge and tiny freezer, it really isn’t large enough for a family, especially one that may be there for one week or longer. The dining table is large which took up a lot of space in the living area. There are two 2 seat sofa’s in the living room, so not really enough seating for the 6 people that the house can cater for.

There were little niggly things that I noticed this time, for example, there was a large under stairs closet, yet no hooks for coats. There were only small cups and small wine glasses, no tumblers, pint glasses or mugs. There seemed to be a lack of cutlery and utensils and no bottle opener or cork screw. The paint was a bit scuffed in places and there were some stains on the carpet. Our house had no outside furniture and there was none that I could see along our row of houses. This didn’t affect us much as the weather was cold, but it would be a major bugbear in the summer. My sister was charged €10 for rental of a DVD player (I would expect a self catering house of this standard to have one included) and when she tried to hook it up, it didn’t work. Someone was supposed to come and have a look at it, but they never came. We did get our €10 back, but it was a bit of an annoyance.

However, for the most part, our stay was very good, the beds were extremely comfortable, the heating was quick and gave great heat to the house. There was plenty of hot water and the showers had great power. There was lots of storage in the bedrooms.

We had a tasty meal in the bar one evening, the staff here were very friendly and very accommodating about joining up tables for us to use (the pub was very busy for a rugby match)

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but I can’t help but feel that they have let standards slip slightly. However, I would stay here again, the house is comfortable, there are lots of great activities on site for kids and the resort is perfectly situated for wonderful sightseeing in Wicklow/Dublin.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here in February for 3 nights with wife and two kids ( groupon deal which included a bottle of wine) Excellent position the Blessington Lakes. Lovely 3 bed townhouse in immaculate condition with all mod cons. Reception extremely helpful. Kids loved the swimming pool (some would say a little small, but it was just perfect for us for a dip after a days hillwalking) Didnt use and of the watersports/clayshooting facilities but they were there in abundance. Bar was lovely a friendly place for a drink. Definitely would come agin, a wonderful place for families!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Avon Ri? Share your experiences!