“A beautiful family run hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moorpark, Birr, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Birr
Bangor, United Kingdom
“A beautiful family run hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Myself and my family stayed this weekend in the Country Arms Hotel. Eight of us stayed,We had an excellent visit. Everyone was so friendly and welcomimg. It is run by a Lovely family.we had a Lovely meal for my mom's birthday and then went to the bar and enjoyed great live band.

Room Tip: Every room is a good choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Mixing business and pleasure in Birr and the County Arms would be an ideal location.
I've stayed here 4-5 times over the last 3-4 years, most recently for 3 nights, and the hotel has maintained it's level of quality.
The hotel is surprsingly large for Birr, but always seems to have good occupancy. The rooms are clean and well tended with good facilities. The staff are cheerful and helpful, with the bar and public areas being spacious and relaxing.
Excellent breakfasts and good evening meals.
If I'm in the area again I'll be staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

we stayed at The county Arms for 5 nights during the irish balloon championships from the 25th to the 30th of september 2012, and all that I can say is that the staff are fantastic, the rooms are spotless, and everything was absolutely perfect.The people that own this hotel should hold thier heads up high as it is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. I would highly recommend any family to stay there, you could not be disappointed.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights, really felt like a break even though it was a business trip. Beautiful up to date hotel, fabulous decor, spotless, food was top class and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Got a fantastic rate for the 4 nights,I Highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here again!

Room Tip: This hotel was just perfect, the town of Birr, Co Offaly and the restaurants there were simply wonde...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dungarvan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at The County Arms on the 3rd day of our Heritage Cycling Tour and we were really well treated here. The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, Dinner in the restaurant was excellent with a wide choice and the breakfast really sets you up for a good days cycling.We found the staff very helpful and friendly through out our stay. We look forward to staying there again many times in 2013.

Room Tip: Make sure you explore the town of Birr it is really beautiful and interesting
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am a wedding Photographer and have shot a lot of weddings in the County Arms. From this respect I see both how the guests and couple are treated by the hotel as well as how the hotel treats external suppliers and "non-paying" guests.

I have always found the management and staff to be nothing but extremely helpful and courteous to both guests and myself. They cannot do enough to help to help you and the wedding party. As I stay late at weddings I can vouch first hand that the food is always great and the staff serving it are top notch and really really helpful. In addition to this the "afters" food is out of this world! I've seen them serve up suckling pig, pizza, ice cream cones...it's really a sight to see and a total taste sensation!

I am always delighted to be shooting a wedding in the County Arms and wouldn't hesitate in telling any couple thinking of getting married in the County Arms..not to think twice...you wont regret it!

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel has amazing rooms!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for birr game fair.. And went to the bar in the hotel for a quiet drink... My friend who is 18 was asked 4 I.d 3 times for one drink and was spoken to with such disrespect by all bar staff... I was hasseled for id twice be for I had even taken a sip from my drink.. And I am in my twenties!!! The manager was one of the people who hassled me and spoke to me like I was a little child, he cursed at me and shouted at me.. We then asked for his information and he actually threw his card at us!!! so I called my boyfriend who spoke to him and he denied it all!!!! Absolutely disgusted with him!!!!!!!!!! How can he call himself a manager!!!!!?? I will be taking this further.. He ruined out trip!!!! Avoid the place until they replace the manager and bar staff!! They ruin the place!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
PeterLoughnane, Owner at County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I'm obviously very disappointed to read your review. Having investigated this issue over the past couple of days, it is important that I place on record my support for our team. As a business that serves alcohol, our licence is very important to us and we take our responsibility as licence holders very seriously. Every member of our team who are involved in the service of alcohol must attend a course on the Responsible serving of Alcohol.
In your particular case, i'm sorry if you felt offended but our bartenders and our Manager were just doing their jobs. If someone who looks young buys 3 drinks and then sits in an otherwise empty area of the bar, and passes 2 of those drinks on to people who also look young, we will always check for ID - and make no apologies for doing so. If we fail to uphold the law, we run the risk of losing our licence, so we are very careful to ensure that does not happen. Most people between the ages of 18 and 23 or 4 are used to being asked for ID and should know not to take offence.
If you, or any member of your party would like to discuss this matter further with me, please call me on 087 9138687 or reply to this message.

Been to County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!