“Banquet Package and an Upgrade” 5 of 5 stars

Bunratty Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shannon to Limerick Road, Bunratty, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bunratty
Tennessee
“Banquet Package and an Upgrade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We reserved two deluxe rooms to be able to visit the Folk Park and attend the banquet. The package was reasonable, particularly after we were upgraded to Executive rooms. Talk about spacious. Don't know about other rooms but this is about as good as it gets. King size beds, tub and shower, buffet breakfast that was excellent, and an easy stroll to the Castle. A wonderful end to our holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is only about ten minutes drive from the Shannon airport, so it's in an ideal location if you have an early flight out or late flight in. We were staying in Dingle bay which meant we would've had to allow about 4 hours to get there. Not a fun drive. We stayed there the night before my sister had to fly back and liked it so much we stayed on another 2 nights. My friend and I were both exhausted from all the touring around and I was fighting off a bad cold, so I could rest while she enjoyed the high speed internet (a rarity in Ireland), the several shops and restaurants across the road as well as the infamous Bunratty Castle and Durty Nelly's pub, two ancient relics that have withstood the test of time.
The hotel is gorgeous and the grounds are well manicured. The staff are friendly and extremely accommodating. When we told them we wanted to stay longer they informed us of a 3 night stay discount, which made the decision all the easier. We also took advantage of the hotel's spa. All guests can access the pool (you must wear a swimming cap and they sell them at the counter for 2.50 euro), the dry and Eucalyptus steam room and jacuzzi. I went for an hour long Javanese massage which worked miracles on my swollen legs an ankles (a travel hazard for me).
Though everything is aesthetically pleasing, I will agree that the bar service and food isn't the best. People were friendly, but you did sit with an empty glass for quite a while and at night it becomes not so much a meat market, but more a slaughter house of drunken locals looking to pick up on some holiday travelers' action. They're harmless, but one was too touchy feely while the other leans in so far you want to just rip your shirt open and say "here, have a good long look why don't you". I don't know about you, but I'd expect the staff to step in at some point or least make sure my glass is full...
We had the breakfast once. It was traditional Irish and tasty except for the eggs that seemed like they were made from powder...
If you're looking for good quality food and atmosphere then go across the street to Durty Nelly's (I'll write about them next), The Creamery or the Cafe in the shops across from the Creamery. If you are looking for good accommodations near the airport that have services to help you decompress, then the Bunratty hotel is a great spot.
It's well equipped to juggle busloads of tourists while hosting a wedding and taking in the lone travelers looking for a bit of peace and rejuvenation. They get my highest marks for that.
The only real disappointment was from our second stay there. We booked the hotel for the last two nights of our stay, thinking we'd explore Bunratty castle, take care of all our souvenir shopping and get in one last spa session. They even offered us a continuation of the extended stay discount for booking before we checked out the first time, but when we arrived to check in, we were told we only had a room with two twin beds, not the same quality as before We didn't realize we'd been given a free upgrade on the first arrival. On our part, we didn't think to say we'd have a third person with us. Know this; they only have 10 rooms in the entire hotel that offer two double beds in the room. These are considered Jr. Suites. We ended up in a room with 3 twin beds that is clearly designed as a kids room with small TV and bathroom (with no vent/fan)and unlike the Jr. suite, Wifi isn't available in the room. We thought it might since there was a sign in the room saying so. Wifi is (for the most part) only available in the lobby area. Very nice lobby with over stuffed chairs and couches and a fire place though. The door on our room wouldn't shut to lock either. By the time we discovered it. One of the girls was trying to sleep, so we informed them at the desk before heading off to dinner. The hotel was completely booked as it was a bank holiday weekend and they were hosting a wedding. The only other option was to move to another triple twin room, so we opted to hold out and let them fix it in the morning.
So, we kind of went from feasting at the king's table to being relegated to the kiddie table, which was disappointing, but overall our experience was good and the staff were genuine and helpful. I'd still recommend it and I'll plan to stay there again upon arrival and departure of my next trip out there.
My advice would be to be very clear about what type of room you want and if you must have internet access in your room then call them to confirm ahead.

PS, if you do have an early flight and have a rental car then fill up the tank the night before. The gas station down the street (there's only one) wasn't open when we passed it at 7am and the only next option I know of is BallyShannon by the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Innishannon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel was ok, the price a bit high for my liking. It seems to me that it becomes a bit run down, the outside needs a proper overhaul, otherwise the wood will rot away in this climate.
The wifi was very poor, we stayed at the top rate rooms which are spacious and good but there was no wifi available, which is not acceptable anymore in this day and age.
If going back to Bunratty in the future I'll try to find another lodging close by the castle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for a night while on a tour and I was very impressed - the hotel is beautiful. The decor is stunning, as is the layout and rooms. My room was one of the best ones I had while on the tour - very large, huge comfortable bed, amazing pillows and a great view. I felt like I was a princess for a night! The front desk service was great - very kind and helpful. My only complaint was a breakfast staff... Most of them were very slow, coffee or tea took upwards of 20 minutes to initially get, and they were hard to flag down. When you did, they appeared very rushed/and or annoyed. Despite that, it was a truly wonderful stay!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night family stay. We were a family of 2 adults and 2 children (8 +12) and went to celebrate mine and my daughters birthday - where better to stay?! I cant believe any negative reviews on here as we encountered no problems at all and the staff were all so polite, friendly, chatty and helpful. We love our weekend breaks but nowhere have we come across such lovely service as we did here. Our room was lovely just like the pics (We had a family suite). Breakfast was fine, the usual cereals, fruits, full english. We had pre booked our evening meals too as part of a special package and evening meals were held in the little italian restaurant at the side of the hotel. Food in here was beautiful and again the ladies serving us were really lovely and helpful - They even organised a birthday cake for my daughters birthday short notice. If you dont like italian food there are other things on the menu. The chicken wings were fab and i didnt know what to expect when i ordered red thai curry in an italian restaurant. I thought i made the best thai curry in the world until I tasted this, it was out of this world. They had the basic childrens food too chicken nuggets, pizza etc & it was all really good so can highly recommend prebooking meals at this hotel. All in all a fantastic weekend and lovely location. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Unprofessional bar staff who had to asked numerous times for various orders for bar food. The food was of appalling quality which left me sick afterwards. The outside was untidy and table etc were left dirty for long periods.

• Stayed June 2013
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very nice but for the price, I expected a lot more. The thermostat controls were missing from the room, there was a lot of cosmetic issues (cracks in walls, roughed up carpets), the rooms were just kind of mediocre, and the advertised music in the bar "every night" was not there. It is a great location if you need to get to the Shannon Airport early.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Bunratty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!