“So close to being a great experience!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Bunratty
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the heart of historical Bunratty, you will find our award winning seafood restaurant "Gallaghers". With its thatched roof and old world relaxed charm, come and enjoy a spectacular candlelight dinner with family and friends. It is our attention to detail and high level of service that ensures your whole dining experience will be truly memorable.
ireland
“So close to being a great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner here went my wife on a Thursday night. Had a reservation for 8 and walked in the door at 2 mins to 8 but we weren't seated until 10 to 9. Our orders were taken from us at the bar at 8.30 but I still felt it was a but much to be waiting with no apology or explanation offered. After a bad start, the evening thankfully got a lot better.

The food was fantastic. From the fresh brown bread to start before we got our crab claws and fish cakes, followed by surf n'turf and sea bass, everything was really good. Crab claws and the steak especially were the best I've tasted in a long time. Service during the meal itself was very good too. If I had one other complaint it was that the main course came too soon after the starter (irionic I know after the delay at the start!).

Meal, including dessert, 2 beers and half a bottle of red wine, came to €125 which is quite expensive.

Would probably be giving the experience 5 stars only for the poor start and the lack of apology for delay in getting seated.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Declan O, Public Relations Manager at Gallaghers, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi there, thanks for the feedback, we really appreciated any feedback we can get from past customers as it helps us improve our standards. I'm delighted ye all enjoyed ye're meal so much, all our dishes are cooked to order we we use only the freshest produce available to us. However, I apologise for the delay in waiting to be seated. A member of our staff should have explained to you why you had to wait. This is not our usual way of treating customers, I can assure you of that. We normally let people have a drink in our little bar area while waiting to be seated and we try to take their order then too. This is because our dishes are all cooked to order and so it takes a while longer for them to be prepared. I will be dealing with this little mishap myself and I will make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks again for the review and hopefully we will see you again sometime in Gallagher's for a meal.

-Declan
Sales & Marketing

Malaysia
“Great seafood, greater staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I am a fisherman daughter and am very very picky with seafood. But the crab claws we ordered.was very good. Frens ordered the fish and oyster and R equally satisfied. The chocolate.cake is to die for and my god can the service be better? Imagine having ur coat nicely hang n warmed, so that when u r leaving the place to brave the Ireland weather, u have ur coat nice n warm, overall, a great place to end the trip.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi there! Thank you so much for the fantastic review. It's great to get feedback from our customers, especially ones who have in depth knowledge of seafood! I'm delighted ye all enyyed ye're visit to Gallaghers. All our dishes are cooked to order and are made from the freshest produce available everyday. I hope ye had a safe journey back home and hopefully we will see ye all again in Gallagher's someday. Thanks again for the great review!

-Declan
Sales & Marketing
Sydney, Australia
“Overrated!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nice spot and place decorated with good traditional style.
Yet, the service is slow and we were litterally served 2 per 2 at low pace. Therefore the first served had to start and almost finished when we started.( we were 8 and the room was not full).
Food was okay, and the wine list correct.
Sweets were good and generous.
I was there a couple of years ago and it has really changed...

Visited June 2013
Declan O, Public Relations Manager at Gallaghers, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi there. Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate all the feedback we get from customers as it ultimately only benefits us in the long run. I do, however, apologise if you did not enjoy your visit to Gallaghers as much as you would have liked. I would like to note that all our dishes in Gallaghers are cooked to order so waiting times can be long especially for certain dishes i.e steak. We always aim to provide quality food and efficient service to our customers and I will be making sure that these aims are maintained from now on. Thanks again for the review and I hope that this experience does not prevent you from returning one day.
Shannon, Ireland
“Dine, Wine at 60 euro per couple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Eleven ( 11 ) of us dined in Gallagher's Restaurant last night and had a wonderful meal, served by very friendly and efficient Staff. The Restaurant has an A LA Carte menu and a wine and dine Menu with a Bottle of House Wine per couple - Starter ( nice choice ), Main Course ( nice choice ), Dessert ( nice choice ) and Coffee. I opted for a Pate, Melba Toast and Cumberland Sauce, Followed by Sea Bass and Gambas and then mouth watering ice - cream to compliment a lovely meal. All of our Party were equally complimentary in their views of our evening. The Restaurant has an Olde Worlde Atmosphere and enjoys an International Reputation for its Seafood. Breda is the Maitre D and has been there for many years and together with Clodagh and the rest of the Staff treated us" Royally". Many thanks and we all look forward to tasting the Restaurants Seafood " Delights " soon again. Bunratty is a lovely, lovely Village

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Aodhan. Thanks so much for the great review. We really appreciate it. I'm delighted that you and your party all enjoyed the visit so much. Breda has been working here for a long time now and she always makes sure every customer is treated in only the best way possible. Quality food and efficient service are two priorities of ours and we aim to make both these happen every time we serve a table. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the food so much and I hope this experience will make you want to return again sometime. Thanks again for the feedback.
Limerick, Ireland
“Wasn't what I expected..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had never been to Gallaghers but I had heard so many great things from my friends and family and we decided to try it out.. I love the actual restaurant itself.. It's so cosy and warm.. The staff are friendly and the service is very good.. Really nice atmosphere too..

On to the food.. There was six of us and we had the set menu which is really well priced.. 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 2 people.. I think it was €30.. I had the bruschetta to start.. It was average for me.. Everyone else had fish and really enjoyed the starter.. For the main meal I had the bean stew.. I hate saying this but it was awful.. The beans were so unbelievably dry and the tomato based sauce was quite tasteless.. The vegetables that came with it weren't great either.. Everyone else at the table said the main meal was okay but weren't impressed.. I had the sorbets for dessert.. They were without the doubt the nicest sorbets I have ever eaten.. So refreshing and full of flavor.. loved them!

I'm not sure if the quality wasn't as good as what I had heard because it was from the set menu and maybe if we had ordered A La Carte, the food might have been better.. I really wanted to love this place but I don't think I would ever go back..

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Declan O, Public Relations Manager at Gallaghers, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hi there. Thanks so much for the feedback. We appreciate customers taking time out to leave us a review. I do however, apologise that your visit to Gallagher's was not the experience you hoped for. I can assure you that this is not a regular occurrence in our restaurant. I can also assure you that there should be no difference in the quality of food whether it is from one of our set menus or our A la Carte menu. I will be speaking to our head chef about this issue myself. I hope that this visit does not prevent you from returning to us one day. Thanks again for the review.