“Embarassingly poor quality dining” 2 of 5 stars

Majestic Hotel
Lower Branch Road, Tramore, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Tramore
London
“Embarassingly poor quality dining”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I ate today at The Majestic Hotel in Tramore, my home town. It was a intended as a family occasion celebrating the memory of an aunt. Due to members of the family being hard of hearing a table had been pre booked. It was a poor start when this booking was not remembered and although we were seated in a quiet area of the restaurant it was not suitable under the circumstances. The room was dirty, service prefunctionary and unsettling speedy. Food definately wasnt being freshly cooked. With the exception of the fish cakes everything else was overcooked and unappetising and the chef had a very weird predilection for potato, a passable dauphnoise was completely spoilt with an overdose of lumpy tasteless. Hoping against hope some of our party ordered dessert, bland & mass manufactured the only saving grace was the wine - a Rioja Tempranillo was a saving grace. To add insult to injury we were overcharged for coffee having said that if budget is your primary concern and you like the common spud this might be for you. I personally wont be returning and feel obliged to apologise to visitors to my home town as this is the worst meal I have had in years

Room Tip: Only ate the hotel. Not compelled to sleep overnight
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
tramore1, General Manager at Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Dear Annekscott,

I would like to apologise to you and your family for receiving a poor standard of service when you dined with us recently & especially on such an occasion of the celebration of your Aunts memory.

I would like to apologise to you again for the oversight of your booking. On the day in question our restaurant was very busy & large bookings (8 or more) are generally seated in the far end of the dining room, which some guests prefer as it is spacious and has stunning views of Tramore Bay.

I can assure you that all our food is cooked fresh, sourced locally & all desserts are prepared daily by our experienced and professional chefs, who take great pride and care in the preparation of all food served.

It saddens me to read that you wont be returning for lunch with us again.

Yours sincerely

Mark Whelan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were guests at the funeral in Majestic Hotel on Monday 28th May. I have eaten in the restaurant few times before and the food was delicious every time. But today it was a disaster. My wife got salmon and she said it was full of bones. I got beef which I couldn't even finish because it was like a chewing gum. I was so disappointed with the meal today that I will not come to eat there anymore.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Johny290,

I was saddened to read that your recent dining experience with us was not to our usual standards.

We at the Majestic take great pride in serving only best Irish Beef (sourced locally) & Irish Salmon.

We're known to take great care in the preparation and service of the product, as you kindly mentioned in your review relating to previous visits.

It disappoints me that you did not bring this to the attention of the supervisor on duty that day as they would have gladly replaced your meal as it was clearly not to our normal standards.

Thank you for your review, comments from a valued customer like yourself are important in maintaining & monitoring our standards of service.

Yours sincerely

Mark Whelan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our room in general was not sparkling clean, but the bathroom was downright icky. The tiles in the floor were loose and much of the grout was gone between tiles and along edge of tub, so when water got on the floor (our fault - shower curtain mishap), it pooled down between the tiles and wouldn't dry. Musty smell led us to believe this wasn't the first time it had happened. When we opened the window to air out the room, we found that the vent from the kitchen below exhausted right outside our window, blowing the smell of frying bacon in. The door to our room opened to a sort of 2nd floor lobby (not just a hallway) and a large group of pre-teen kids made it their personal playground, yelling, running and slamming doors late at night and early in the morning. Not directly the fault of the staff, but irritating none the less. Staff was accommodating, but overall not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Clonmel, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I recently took my Mum for lunch in the bar of this hotel thinking it would be a nice treat for us both on a day out. I should've realised there was something amiss when the first place we went to sit at had a used tissue left on the chair and they'd only just opened. The service was extremely slow, the bargirl had to leave the bar several times to go to the kitchen to place the order, then to get the cutlery (we had to ask for napkins which entailed another visit to the kitchen) and then for the food itself. There were no lemons for our water as she explained there had been a wedding the day before and they'd 'run out of everything' - no forward planning then! The caesar salads when they eventually arrived were delicious, can't fault the chef. In the meantime, people were coming and going trying to get served - I hope they weren't in a hurry to be anywhere. There was another lady and a guy around but they didn't seem to want to help out. The bar could not take card payments and so we were escorted to Recepton to pay. The toilets were grotty, two of the 4 doors wouldn't lock and there was only one bin between the 4 - not very hygienic. Neither were they very clean.
The Majestic is in a fantastic location, lovely views etc but it lets itself down by poor service.
All in all it was a very disapponting experience and not one I could honestly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Staff friendly rooms lovely and fairly priced woruld stay anytime

• Stayed June 2011
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night and got a room facing the water.

The lobby area is well decorated. It was warm, cozy, and modern with lots of couches. Free wifi is available (only in the lobby) and the signal is fast and strong. Dinner at the hotel was alright. I ordered penne pasta and the pasta seemed a little undercooked; however, the wait staff are very friendly and accomodating. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, roasted tomatoes, porridge, toast, ham, sausage, and assorted cereals and juices.

The room I stayed in had a wonderful view of the ocean. It was clean, as was the bathroom, but the walls were rough stucco (weird).

I would probably stay here again if I visited Tramore.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Some seaside hotels can be rough and ready but the Majestic has something rather stately about it. It's in a prime location in Tramore. There's ample parking and the views are great. I find the staff are always helpful and friendly. Evening meals in the restaurant are just mouth watering and if you're feeling hungry during the day or prefer a less formal type meal, the bar food is excellent. When I think of Tramore, it has to be the Majestic.

Room Tip: The bar is at one end of the hotel and if there's live music, it can affect your sleep. So alway...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Majestic Hotel? Share your experiences!