“enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tramore
Grand Hotel
You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotel Square | Tramore, Tramore, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tramore
Dublin, Ireland
“enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here in July on a dealrush voucher ,the room was nice and the staff were friendly. the main restaurant the service was slow, otherwise the bar area was great and we enjoyed staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
wexford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Whenever I stayed in the Grand I was either working in Tramore or at a function/gig and too occupied to be be fully aware of my accommodation. This can either be seen as an endorsement or condemnation of this establishment but I would veer toward the former. What they do here, they do well.
Rooms are functional and simply decorated. Service is delivered by competent, charming and relaxed people. Lunch (served in the bar) and breakfast were very good value. Room prices are very affordable. I paid €25 out of season for a warm bed and a hearty breakfast.
I always stay here when I come to Tramore.

Room Tip: Many to choose from. If you don't like the one you're in just tell the staff.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had a four night stay recently. Room was average and floor slanted to one side. On arrival in the room there were spiders in three corners of the ceiling which my partner had to remove. When I reported this to the girl on reception she told me windows were left open because of the heat and the spiders had come in. In actual fact they were dead and looked like they had been there for a while. This was something that could have easily been removed with a vacuum cleaner. When I told her this she assured me all the rooms were 'deep cleaned'. Not sure what this actually meant as the room was not vacuumed the whole time we were there! I know because there was dirt on the foor that was not removed. One morning I heard the cleaners discussing sharing a vacuum cleaner between floors! Dined in the bar and the food was very good and staff very pleasant. Not sure if I would return to stay in rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here in August for 2 nights and September for 2 nights. It's nice and central. Nice friendly staff . Good buzz in the bar. Very dated though. Could do with been updated. But then on the other hand maybe that's what makes the hotel with a good buzz. Been quirky. Anyway we will be back next year. Food is lovely. From Alison young in Dublin

• Stayed August 2013
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

stayed for 2 nights recently, on check in a lovely bubbly girl Grace greeted us and was welcoming, we went to our room 310, it was small and dated, we had a few drinks in the bar, there was a debs also on that night, the bar staff very nice also, we went to bed, where the debs came out after 2am to the street right under our window and we could here them till they finally left ages later, then as i tried to sleep again to my horror the room next door, i could hear some one get up and cross the floor to go to the bathroom, i could hear through the wall OMG!!!!. the next morning we got up at 8.30am as we hadnt slept, then our toilet refused to flush, we went for breakfast and i asked the receptionist could she please move us as i hadnt slept and toilet didnt work, in fairness she agreed to do that. Breakfast was lovely on both mornings, the staff (One Poor guy served us breakfast both mornings & dinner he must have been exhausted) are amazing . Dinner on the 2nd night was gorgeous we really enjoyed it Rreally this place is so dated and run down but the staff really make the place and their employers should be proud of them all

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
tralee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

just returned from 4 night stay at the Grand Hotel with husband and 7 yr old daughter.Although we have been going to Tramore for many years we have never stayed at the Grand before,but we will def be staying there again.Ok the furniture and decor might be a bit dated but our family room was spotlessly clean.The staff were so welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble to them.We ate in the restaurant and the food and service was very good.looking forward to our next visit already.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as a family with one 7 year old. This was our holiday for this year so wanted something she would enjoy.

First my gripes.. as hotel guests I think all entertainment in the hotel should be complimentary, paying €15/€13 for three of us to see a show was dissapointing especially as a kids show. The hotel is advertised as a family hotel so why charge extra for the kids entertainment? The Richie Kavanagh show should have been cancelled as he couldn't sing, we should have been offered a refund but were not offered anything..... I couldn't understand a word of him. There were a lot of people from other accomodation attending the shows which meant we were restricted when we arrived with very little seating left. I was specifically told there was a kids disco every night which never happened only once did I see a kids disco which was really a non entity as the dj made no attempt to engage the kids with the result my child opted to play her tablet instead of enjoying the entertainment!

The rooms are CLEAN, I never inspected under the beds etc but in general they are ok and I would have no probs sleeping in the beds. Having said that there is a huge need for somewhere to put your stuff, there was very little in the way of storage in the rooms, what was there was inadequate meaning we lived out of our suitcases for the 4 nights which is so annoying as things get creased etc. The furniture either needs replacing or revamping it was chipped scored and torn on the fabrics (someone please look up Kirstie Alsopp on channel 4, could do so much with so little).

The bathroom in ours was quite shabby, there was a crack all the way along the floor tiles to the bath. The floor had NOT been mopped before we arrived as there was a stain that looked like blood on the floor just at the doorway, that was still there when we left, so obviously mopping is not something that is done routinely. Having said that it was cleanish but certainly not the hotel standard I would have expected.

The pictures on the walls looked like they were cut out of magazines and were sitting wonky in the frames which was just a personal bugbear.....

A lot of the leaflets in the hotel foyer did not seem to be about local attractions, we were nearly back in Dublin visiting Kia Ora farm!

Breakfast was ok, but I get the feeling that it was the cheapest available sausages, bacon and pudding, I don't think I've ever seen smaller sausages (except for cocktail sausages... I would have preffered them lol) there was a lot of grit in them, we went a couple of mornings else where for breakfast as I prefer to enjoy it than make do! Although there was plenty of toast to fill you up.

Parking is minimal, but judging by the parking around it seems that double yellows are a figment of my imagination as everyone seemed to park on them!

Ok now for the positives...

The fella in the bar with the goatee beard was great at whatever he did, when he was there things seemed to "run well" we felt at home and were treated well when he was on duty, we got the idea he was more than a bar man but never caught his name.

The staff were generally nice we don't have much to say but maybe a little slow at the bar, but maybe we're just used to a faster pace of life?

The view from our room was lovely, my little one loved watching the funfair from the bedroom.

The entertainment in the bar was good, especially Seattle who really got the crowd going. We enjoyed deal or no deal with Eddie who was great with the kids.

The food was grand and you will certainly not go hungry if you eat in Duffy's bar, we never tried the restaurant. The bar chef should certainly be commended.

Would we stay here again? Yes probably but I definately would not pay what we paid for it again, it would have to be a special offer ie kids go free etc, it's definately not worth €120 a night for b&b.

We did enjoy our stay and toyed with the idea of staying another night but since we had no more uncreased clothes (due to the lack of storage) we opted not to bother to ask..... more for the location than anything else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!