“THE GRAND DISASTER (do not stay)” 1 of 5 stars

You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotel Square | Tramore, Tramore, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tramore
“THE GRAND DISASTER (do not stay)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Arrived Friday evening, went into the room it was absolutely freezing. I went straight to the reception to see if we could be moved, after a bit of a disagreement between the two receptionists we were finally moved to a colder room. The rooms are outdated, dirty with cigarette butts under the bed, the rooms did not resemble what was on their website. We had booked into the restaurant for our evening meal and surprise surprise it was also freezing, so the evening was a disaster.

The next morning I went to use the shower and the water was stone cold. I went down to the reception to complain and was told to leave the tap running for ten minutes, then told her that the room was absolutely freezing and she very rudely told me that I should check to see if the radiator was switched on, I explained that the radiator was working but the room was still freezing and once again she rudely told me that I should check the thermostat. I told her that it was working properly but the room was freezing and could I have a blow heater for the room to which she didn't reply. An hour later a heater was delivered to the room.

The final straw was on the Saturday when about 4am the hotel fire alarm went off just very briefly, which was probably caused by a group of drunken people messing, about half an hour later there was banging on our bedroom door and a man shouting saying that it was hotel security and that if we did not open the door he would kick the door down. We opened the door and a security man came barging in saying that the fire alarm had been set off and he was checking to see if we had done it and to see if there was anyone hiding in our room. Having found that it clearly was not us and after checking behind the curtains and in the bathroom for people hiding????? He just left with no apology!!

From start to finish our weekend was a disaster, unhelpful staff, dirty, musty, cold and completely outdated. To end on a good note, the view from the sea view rooms (which is an extra E10 per night) I am sure are lovely if you could see through the dirty windows!!

DO NOT STAY

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Carol Y,
I must apologise sincerley for the problems that you experienced during your stay. I have to admit that the fault was ours completely on this occasion as we had major problems with our central heating on the weekend that you stayed. Although we made every effort to rectify the problem and to provide additional heaters to the affected rooms, this does not take away from the fact the heating was not 100% in your room.
As regards the issue with security we were unfortunatley caught out by a number of guests who were attending a function outside the hotel and caused a major disturbance in the hotel upon their return, these guests were ejected from the premisis by the Gardai. I was on duty at the time and can assure you that every effort was taken to deal with this issue quickly and effictively we did however have to investigate your room as there was reported noise from it. Let me also state unequivocally that at no stage did any member of staff use the language stated in your reveiw. If a room is reported for producing excessive noise we do have to investigate out of respect to other guests.
Unfortunately all Hotels do get caught with a group of unruly guests on rare occasions due to the nature of the business this is however no excuse for you not fully enjoying your time with us.
I would like to talk to you in person about your stay and to offe you the chance to come stay with us again.
Jason Doyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
armagh northern irealnd
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel back in August 2012 for 3 nightswith our one year old daugher. Location is not great, it is a bit of a trek down the hill to town especially when pushing a pram. The view over the bay is gorgeous though. Our room was at the front of the hotel and was very noisy with traffic and music from the bar until 11.30pm. The rooms and bathroom are clean but very outdated in terms of carpet and furniture. There was also a musty smell in the whole hotel. Corridors were very narrow as well for navigating a pram. Bed was very uncomfortable and both my husband and I had sore backs when leaving.The shower was over the bath which I did not like either. Food in the bar and restaurant was excellent though and the staff were all very friendly. There was also good entertainment in the bar at night. I would not return to this hotel. Needs a good refurbishment!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Clairebear55,]
Thank you for the positive aspects of your review. Its nearly 8 months since your stay, the service and staff in the hotel remain the same but we have and are undertaking constant refurbishments. I hope that you get the chance to stay with us again soon and look forward to welcoming you then.
Best regards,
General Manager.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I attended a fund raiser last weekend in this hotel for two little kids and it was a cracker.It was a music/ band night and was attended by rockabilly and rock and rollers from every part of this Island. The hotel is clean and warm.It is a bit dated here and there, but what hotel is any other way? Wear and tear by the customers is part of the problem in any establishment.It is reasonably priced for famlies and couples and it's location on a height has to be seen to be believed. The staff are a mix of young and not so young, which I think is a good thing and I cannot honestly fault any of them while I was there.The lounge/ public areas are large and airy and can cope with large groups.
The food and drink were excellent and well priced.There is a lift to all floors.I'm told there is music of some kind most nights.The carpark is ample and free (yahoo).You are right in the middle of everything Tramore has to offer.There are singing / music pubs just outside the door or nearby. The beach and amusements are just down the hill.If I had a small concern, it would be the showers and the twin rooms. The showers are a bit of a chore for us 6ft people,shower head is a bit low and the step over/ into the bath / shower is a bit much.The beds in the twins are a bit too close together. Other then that, Irene and her team do a great job. Give it a go. you won't be disappointed, I promise......Paul Boylan (pboylan@eircom.ie)

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side can be a bit noisy as they face a pub, but not a real problem unless you have...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Paul,
Many thanks for your kind words, its so encouraging when people appreciate the good service and food offerings that we provide. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Valentines Rockabilly Rave and i hope to see you here for the weekender in November for even more entertainment.
Thanks again,
Shannon, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ok so my husband got me a deal on living social for my birthday and we decided to use it for valentines weekend. When I rang to book I was told there was a increment for valentines weekend of 20 each. And I also booked a sea view room for a extra 20. 60 all together. Now I don't mind paying extra increments for valentines as we always go away for that weekend if there was something included for that extra price example last year we recieved fruit and chocolates in room
And champagne with dinner and a rose in a different hotel thus that's why there is a increment. Now this hotel did not provide anything extra! And was not full!! So this is my first disappointment. I did not expect this hotel to be great as it is old it really needs a update to the rooms especially carpet, curtains and bathroom tiles. I must say we had bar food which was good and the resturant was lovely too however the fruit pavlova was not cooked it was raw egg white and sugar. The bar entertainment it excellent as we are a young married couple this suited us fine but older people might not enjoy. The second night we stayed we had a few drinks and retire early there was a function on and could hear everything again we are young and can get over this. Others might not. O and I forgot to mention could hear everything in room next or above ours and sounded like someone was walking around our room. I'm glad my expectations were not great for this one having recently come back from honeymoon from 5 star to here but I know it's not a 5 star 3 maybe 2 definatly!!!

Dear irish_fairy_girl,
Thank you for your recent review. Valentines weekend is one of the busiest of the year for us thankfully and as such our rates are charged proportianately to the level of business, we are delighted to work with Living Social on the current deal that we have with them but we cannot afford to turn fully paying guests away at peak times, hence the small supplement. Of the current deal that we have there are only three weekends that there is a supplement for out of the five months that the deal is running over five months.
I very much appreciate you mentioning all of the things that you enjoyed, the service, the food & the music and I will take the rest of your comments into consideration and they are very much appreciated. There is no point in comparing us to a 5 star hotel, we are a 3 star hotel, you would be comparing two different products.
General Manager.
Carlow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was down there for the National Kettlebell Competition being hosted by Tramore Kettlebell Club. The facilities in the Hall were good, for getting ready lifting out the side was good as it was away from the main Competition.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jason D, Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear aaronb1990,
Thank you for your review. We very much enjoyed hosting the event and meeting all of you. Hopefully it won't be too long before we get the chance to work with the National Kettlebells Association again.
General Manger
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

The only missing element was Basil and Manwell at the reception. Jesus how in 2013 are hotels (or so called hotels) allowed get away with charging people to stay in substandard accomodation.. This place is horrific. We were booken in for a weekend and within 10 minutes of checking in and seeing our room we were on the net looking for another hotel. Dump is to fine a word and how it claims a 3 star rating is beyond me. More like a 1 star.. The pictures of lovely rooms on the net dont resemble the real room... My advice GIVE THIS PLACE A MISS.

Dear edjam71,
Its regrettable that you did not stay with us to experience the true value of a stay in the Grand Hotel Tramore, which is the quality of service that we are constantly complimented on. I find it very unfair of you to rate the service as you didn't experience it and also unfair of tripadvisor to allow your review to be posted as you didn't actually stay with us. The Grand Hotel is the oldest public building in Tramore and as such contains a warmth and character unobtainable in many modern hotels. This is then complimented by our amazing staff and the quality and consistency of our food offerings. We also offer discounts on all activities in and around Tramore which gives added value to our customers on what are already very competitive rates. We supply quality entertainment offerings all year round with a particular focus on family and child orientated entertainment throughout the summer. All of the above and much more make the Grand Hotel a particularly attractive destination to a wide audience with many of our guests returning year on year for the service and welcome that they recieve with us.
Best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

i dont understand some of the previous comments as we found the hotel pretty good. yes it may be dated but the staff were very nice and the hotel was clean. as we stayed on the 3rd floor maybe thats why we heard no noise as previously stated. we also got a great deal on groupon so cant complain about the price. yes the outside could do with a facelift but overall we had a good experience there

Dear hoeanna,
Thank you sicerely for you complimentary review and i look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Jason Doyle

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!