“nice clean friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotel Square | Tramore, Tramore, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Tramore
“nice clean friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

i dont understand some of the previous comments as we found the hotel pretty good. yes it may be dated but the staff were very nice and the hotel was clean. as we stayed on the 3rd floor maybe thats why we heard no noise as previously stated. we also got a great deal on groupon so cant complain about the price. yes the outside could do with a facelift but overall we had a good experience there

• Stayed February 2013
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear hoeanna,
Thank you sicerely for you complimentary review and i look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here last weekend for two nights. While the rooms and facilities were quite basic and we did have some initial problems with heating in the room the staff were extremely friendly and the food was lovely. Tramore itself is a lovely town; small with everything within walking distance, quaint pubs and restaurants and the people were so friendly; I would certainly recommend this hotel if you were looking for somewhere in Tramore.

Room Tip: sea view is worth the extra money however may be more noisier as they look onto the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura F,
Thank you for your kind words in your recent review, and your kind recommendation. Its very rewarding to see such positive feedback not only as regards the Hotel istelf but as to Tramore as a destination. Your comments will be taken on board as regards the facillites and we do have a schedule in place on an ongoing basis for refurbishments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Tramore in the future.
Alicante, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

stayed here at the weekend and on arriving thought the place looked a bit tired but it was out of season so made allownace for that. the staff were very friendly at front desk and efficient and food in th ebar was very very good and great value. really enjoyed our bar meal.
had a few disapointments in the room when we went in the TV had no signal and i called reception to report it and was told it would be fixed in half hour. we were going out so was not too bothered but wanted to see the news in the morning and the tv had not been repaired.
The room was very clean as was the bathroom but there was no bar of soap in the bathroom. again we asked about this later at front desk and were told there was soap there........ there was a tiny bottle of shower gel but no bar of soap... and my last problem was the shower.... it was really terrible. i actually called reception as i could not work out how to switch from taps to shower and the lady on reception offered advice quickly and efficiently, but it was a very strange tap system. i have worked all over the world and had never seen this set up before but hey it then worked.... unfortunately, it went from scalding hot to freezing cold constantly which made for lots of screams and probably one of my worst ever shower experiences.... mostly small problems apart from the shower, but simple things that should be fixed before guests have a problem with them. Receptionist in the morning was very pleasant as were any staff we had dealings with but did feel we were a little dissapointed with things that should not be your lasting memories of a Hotel. Would have expected much more for €80 in these times to be honest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear r e,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, your feedback is very much appreciated. I am sorry that a few small problems took anything away from your stay with us. I am however delighted that you found our staff so helpful and that you enjoyed your food. Please ask for me directly when you choose to stay with us again or contact me directly and I will ensure that you are looked after throughout your stay.
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Following on from review from Eimear1190. I was one of the organisers of the night in question, and can i only say, i was in no way or form informed of these problems, in my opinion the staff from the hotel, cud not have been any more helpfull. Anyone that booked the hotel by phone, were informed about the €50 security deposit, and its stated on website no drink is allowed in rooms. It came to my attention on sun that some articles of clothing were missing, but let me state that nearly everyone in that function room was known to each other, so it dont take much to work out that stolen/missing jackets are in someone that is known`s pocession. We searched the function room for missing jackets but to no avail. I received a message on sun, to ask bout a phone left in a room, and the staff were straight onto this, and phone was found and returned. As far as im aware there was no breakfast included in the special deal, so you were lucky to receive one. Personally i taught the night was great, and from feedback, so do the majority, and i look forward to working with the staff of the grand again.

ps: food was beautifull

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear sbreen1,
Thank you sincerley for your recent review. Its always dissapointing to see reviews like the previous ones from people who have problems but fail to inform anyone of them. In the time that it took them to write the review any problems that they had could have been easily rectified. I was so pleased to see your review as, like you said yourself, we had been receiving nothing but positive feedback with regard to your function and I am also looking forward to working with you again in the future.
Kilkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel last Saturday night. Where do I start, on arriving at the hotel we checked into our room and were given 1 key for 2 guests. When we got to the room we were in total disbelief. The light fixtures were dragged off the wall and hang by wires and no light bulbs. The Bedspreads were half dragged off the beds and in a pile on the floor, the curtains were attached by one curtain hook and the rest were hanging down with broken hooks , clearly pulled down and broken off the rails, My husband has to climb up and try to wedge the curtain in behind the rail to give us some privacy. There were dirty glasses in the room and the bathroom had a stench of poo! The room was freezing at the end of November and the knob had been removed from the radiator. As a lot of my friends were staying in the hotel for the same function ,They were all made to pay for the room before arrival and had a further €50 security deposit slapped on them by surprise on check in (We are all in our late 30s early 40s, hardly hooligans!) . Also nobody was allowed to have a drink in their room. when I went to reception to advise them of the condition of our room, no alternative room was offered but a note was made that we didn't cause the damage. That evening at the function which was to go on till the early hours, the hotel turned off the heating and many of us had to put our coats on. I decided I'd had enough and headed to my room which was still freezing, went to reception where they had a switch to control my heating which they flicked and told me wait a while for it to warm up. After half hour still no heat, went back, main switch turned off for hotel, they then turned it on. I Have to ad the man behind the desk was extremely helpful and one of the hotel's only assets . Eventually the heat came back on so I took my jacket off in the function room. At this point there were only about 20 people left. When it was over we had to bring some DJ equipment to our room, when we came back to get our jackets they had vanished. The staff were unhelpful. Next morning when asked again they were very disinterested in helping us find them and would not turn on the light in the function room to search. Again the only good thing on the Sunday was that I missed breakfast and the helpful man from the previous night had one cooked for me at no extra charge. I have stayed in many hotels all around the world but by far this was the absolute worst, not a bit like it is Portrayed on it's website, I would advise against anyone staying here!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Hi Eimear 1190,
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us. We weren't informed at any stage of the maintenance problems in your room and I assure you that had you done so we could have rectified the situation very easily. Had you provided a credit card number you wouldn't have been asked for a damage deposit. Company policy is in place to protect the company and regardless of age there has to be security on a booking our receptionists can not discriminate against guests on the basis of their age. It is common practice worldwide to not allow food & beverage from exterior sources to be consumed in Hotels. You must understand that we are trying to stay in business in a very tough economic climate. I spoke to you personally on the phone on Sunday after you had checked out and you inquired about your missing jacket however I may have taken your phone number down incorrectly as it will not ring through.
I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me directly to discuss the matters in your review. Guest satisfaction is what we aim for at the Grand Hotel and i would again appreciate the opportunity to go through things in more detail.
051-381414
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just a one night stay but unimpressed with hotel. Staff were friendly and efficient but the hotel itself is in serious need of refurbishment. Rooms are small and bathrooms are slightly 'grotty'.
A smell of cabbage permeates throughout the hotel and foyer area leaves a lot to be desired. Breakfast was very good and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear DaveandCathleen,
I am dissapointed to see your recent review and i assure you that all of your comments will be taken on board. We do have a programme in place to manage the refurbishment of the Hotel and what the Hotel lacks in the that department we feel is more than made up for in the level of service that we provide. Married with the competitive rates that we sell at and the affiliated discounts for all local activities added to the quality of our food offerings.
Should you choose to stay with us again I would appreciate it if you would allow me to personally assure that you get one of our superior sea view rooms on our third floor that have all been recently refurbished.
Birkenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was a very friendly hotel and it was also very comfortable. The rooms clean and every day we had clean towels. All the staff put themselves out and were very hepful. The only down side in my opinion was the hotel was located at the top of a hill and if anyone had problems walking this was a disadvantage.

Room Tip: In our opinion all rooms were adequate for our stay
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear honestjoesBirkenhead,
Thank you for your complimentary review and your praise of our staff. The hotel is situated on a hill but we are located right on the centre of mainstreet which cuts down the distance that people have to walk to the rest of the businesses.
I hope to personally welcome you back to the Grand Hotel in the near future.
General Manager.

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!