“Worst Hotel ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Tramore
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Worst Hotel ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel last Saturday night. Where do I start, on arriving at the hotel we checked into our room and were given 1 key for 2 guests. When we got to the room we were in total disbelief. The light fixtures were dragged off the wall and hang by wires and no light bulbs. The Bedspreads were half dragged off the beds and in a pile on the floor, the curtains were attached by one curtain hook and the rest were hanging down with broken hooks , clearly pulled down and broken off the rails, My husband has to climb up and try to wedge the curtain in behind the rail to give us some privacy. There were dirty glasses in the room and the bathroom had a stench of poo! The room was freezing at the end of November and the knob had been removed from the radiator. As a lot of my friends were staying in the hotel for the same function ,They were all made to pay for the room before arrival and had a further €50 security deposit slapped on them by surprise on check in (We are all in our late 30s early 40s, hardly hooligans!) . Also nobody was allowed to have a drink in their room. when I went to reception to advise them of the condition of our room, no alternative room was offered but a note was made that we didn't cause the damage. That evening at the function which was to go on till the early hours, the hotel turned off the heating and many of us had to put our coats on. I decided I'd had enough and headed to my room which was still freezing, went to reception where they had a switch to control my heating which they flicked and told me wait a while for it to warm up. After half hour still no heat, went back, main switch turned off for hotel, they then turned it on. I Have to ad the man behind the desk was extremely helpful and one of the hotel's only assets . Eventually the heat came back on so I took my jacket off in the function room. At this point there were only about 20 people left. When it was over we had to bring some DJ equipment to our room, when we came back to get our jackets they had vanished. The staff were unhelpful. Next morning when asked again they were very disinterested in helping us find them and would not turn on the light in the function room to search. Again the only good thing on the Sunday was that I missed breakfast and the helpful man from the previous night had one cooked for me at no extra charge. I have stayed in many hotels all around the world but by far this was the absolute worst, not a bit like it is Portrayed on it's website, I would advise against anyone staying here!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Hi Eimear 1190,
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us. We weren't informed at any stage of the maintenance problems in your room and I assure you that had you done so we could have rectified the situation very easily. Had you provided a credit card number you wouldn't have been asked for a damage deposit. Company policy is in place to protect the company and regardless of age there has to be security on a booking our receptionists can not discriminate against guests on the basis of their age. It is common practice worldwide to not allow food & beverage from exterior sources to be consumed in Hotels. You must understand that we are trying to stay in business in a very tough economic climate. I spoke to you personally on the phone on Sunday after you had checked out and you inquired about your missing jacket however I may have taken your phone number down incorrectly as it will not ring through.
I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me directly to discuss the matters in your review. Guest satisfaction is what we aim for at the Grand Hotel and i would again appreciate the opportunity to go through things in more detail.
Best regards,
jason@grand-hotel.ie
051-381414

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just a one night stay but unimpressed with hotel. Staff were friendly and efficient but the hotel itself is in serious need of refurbishment. Rooms are small and bathrooms are slightly 'grotty'.
A smell of cabbage permeates throughout the hotel and foyer area leaves a lot to be desired. Breakfast was very good and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear DaveandCathleen,
I am dissapointed to see your recent review and i assure you that all of your comments will be taken on board. We do have a programme in place to manage the refurbishment of the Hotel and what the Hotel lacks in the that department we feel is more than made up for in the level of service that we provide. Married with the competitive rates that we sell at and the affiliated discounts for all local activities added to the quality of our food offerings.
Should you choose to stay with us again I would appreciate it if you would allow me to personally assure that you get one of our superior sea view rooms on our third floor that have all been recently refurbished.
jason@grand-hotel.ie
Birkenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was a very friendly hotel and it was also very comfortable. The rooms clean and every day we had clean towels. All the staff put themselves out and were very hepful. The only down side in my opinion was the hotel was located at the top of a hill and if anyone had problems walking this was a disadvantage.

Room Tip: In our opinion all rooms were adequate for our stay
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear honestjoesBirkenhead,
Thank you for your complimentary review and your praise of our staff. The hotel is situated on a hill but we are located right on the centre of mainstreet which cuts down the distance that people have to walk to the rest of the businesses.
I hope to personally welcome you back to the Grand Hotel in the near future.
General Manager.
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Wow. To call this hotel "Grand Hotel" takes some serious guts. The hotel probably "was" once grand, about 100 years ago, but not today. The first impression is, it's kind of stuffy and smells dusty and just old. That I can deal with because I am not spending that much time in the lobby but the room was something else.
The furniture was old, the window just opened a crack, the bathroom tiles tilted up, the shower sprayed everywhere (how can one install just so little of a protective glass wall next to it? Flooding is guaranteed every single time you shower!), the big towels were thin and hardly enough to cover up but all that I could have dealt with and take it with a smile and with the attitude "oh well", but then there was the smell. I can't quite put it, but imagine a mixture of an old, stuffy room that wasn't aired in weeks combined with a plugged toilet and rotten eggs. That was our room. And I am not exaggerating, we had other people on our tour bus complain of exactly the same thing.
The food on the other hand was okay. Dinner came in three courses and was alright. Breakfast was somewhat okay, not a great choice of anything really. So all in all, the hotel should get some serious renovations, or change the name or better both.

Room Tip: Take one that faces the ocean. This way you can open the window for a fresh breeze to get rid of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Undine_in_NY,
I am very sorry to read your recent review of our Hotel. The Grand Hotel is one of the Oldest Hotels in ireland so yes it does look old and our public areas are appointed to maintain the fact that you are in an old Hotel. We have antique furniture a classic Chandelier, stained glass, old photos etc.... I can however assure you that there is no smell of dust, the reception area is cleaned several times daily.
The windows in the bedrooms do open fully but have a "childproof" locking facility to ensure the safety of our younger guests. Our shower heads move and can be adjusted to different angles, this point of flooding has never been brought forward before so I do apologise if thats the case.
More importantly I find it hard to believe that you slept in a room for four nights that smelled as bad as you describe, nothing was reported by you to any member of the staff here throughout your stay with us. If there was really a smell you could have reported the fact and had the problem resolved all in the time that it took you to write this review. We would have gladly arranged another room for you as the happiness of our guests is paramount to us here in the Grand Hotel a fact which is reflected in the many many positive reviews here on Tripadvisor about the service and our staff.
You stayed as part of a tour group and as such your meals and breakfast choices are those that are specifically approved by the tour operator, which may explain a lack of choice.
I sincerly wish that you had brought any of your concerns forward throughout your stay, problems do occur here at the Grand Hotel we are not perfect but we will go over and above to ensure the happiness of our guests when we are duly informed.
I would hope that you get the chance to visit the Hotel again in the future for a true look at all that we have to offer.
Hereford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel was part of our coach tour & we were very impressed by the lovely food & very helpful staff, The room was large, clean & comfortable & we were very happy with it. The bathroom could do with some updating, but was clean & everything worked which was the main thing. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone based on our experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear flyingfarmer20,
Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write your lovely review. Please let me assure you that all of your comments have been taken on board and that we do have a schedule in place for rennovations. We are constantly striving to improve our product and the services that we offer.Its rewarding to see your positive comments about our food and the service staff.
Thank you again and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Hotel Tramore in the new future.
Best regards,
South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

As a member of a tour we stayed at this hotel. I recall having to haul my bag up the stairs - was there a lift?
The room was spacious (6 metres x 3.5 metres) but in comparison to some other destinations the room was a bit dated and the walls were very thin so noise from the passge or adjacent rooms came straight through. On the upside it was very clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Geremiahc,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for mentioning the positive aspects of your stay. I can assure you that we do have a lift in reception servicing all floors.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

What you see is what you get. dated hotel but has everything you would want at a seriously low price. B'feast included and is of a good standard with generous portions. Late bar all weekend and it seems that this bar is the social hub of the town at the weekends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jason D, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Mairtin 81,
Thank you for taking the time to write you review which we at the Grand Hotel really appreciate. I hope that you get the chance to come to visit us again to experience more of the same.
Jason Doyle,

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!