“Castle but not as we know it” 4 of 5 stars

Cabra Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Kingscourt | Co Cavan, Kingscourt, Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cavan, Ireland
“Castle but not as we know it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

Great hotel if you want good food and lively company. It's wheelchair accessible and is set in a secluded setting amonst trees with paths along which a disabled visitor may be taken. Although the castle looks medievil it is in fact of Victorian origins. A bit off the beaten track but well worth the drive from Dublin.
Bedrooms are luxurious. We spent the night in a ground level appartment which had 2 double beds in it. Now that's a real treat.

Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed here for a friends wedding. We stayed in the lodges which were lovely however a little far from the venue. They were extremely warm and had no room service but that was really the only complaint. We stayed for two nights and had a great time. The bathroom was clean and had a mega shower although no conditioner or so I was told! The serves at the wedding was 100% very quick, the staff were attentive and the food gorgeous. My beef was a little dry but that is hardly a deal breaker in my book. All in all an enjoyable stay. It is very secluded so if you plan to go there be aware there is nothing else around you for a good 5-6 miles and even at that Kingscourt is no vibrate city!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Cabra our first 2 nights in Ireland. Loved it! Staff was excellent, professional and friendly, even as they juggled check-ins for a large wedding that was staying there that night. Our room (No. 24 -- "The Wishing Well," on the top floor) was amazing... the bathroom here was larger than entire hotel rooms at other stops.

They have a fancy restaurant on the second floor -- we only ate the free Irish breakfasts there; they were superb and definitely more than filling. There's a nice bar with food on the main level. Despite being considered "bar food," it surprisingly was one of the better meals of the trip.

A potential downside is that Cabra is about 1:15 to 1:30 outside Dublin, and there's not really much else to visit in the immediate area. So it's a great place to relax -- free golf course on site -- but if you're going to Ireland to see the country, you probably wouldn't want to stay multiple nights here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Lockport, NY, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Cabra Castle is a wonderful piece of old world history and was the perfect location for my brothers wedding. The rooms are cozy and we had the opportunity to visit several that different family members stayed in.

The only problem is that our own room was in the courtyard and with the stone walls, we heard EVERYTHING through the ceiling to the room upstairs. It seems as if the stone walls trapped in and reflected the sound and we could clearly hear them talking and hear every word of the TV.

Other than that the grounds are wonderful as is the banquet room and the breakfast.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I've seen a few negative reviews about Cabra Castle, and I think some people are just too picky. We did not stay inside the castle proper, but, rather, in the courtyard. Yet, the courtyard had a neat atmosphere all on its own. Our rooms were on the top floor, as I was told that if you're on the bottom floor and have a few porkers staying above you, that the tromping might put you in a bad mood--long before breakfast.

Anyway, my adult daughter stayed in her own room, while my wife and I stayed in one nearby. Both rooms were on the top floor, and we all had a good night's rest. I would not say that the rooms were luxurious (spending hundreds on a suite is not within my budget), but they were well furnished with some neat antique pieces; very clean; and roomy.

If I had one gripe, it would be this: the mirror in the bathroom was not behind the sink. It was on the wall to my right. So shaving was a bit of a chore. I noticed this same oddity in my daughter's room. But I managed. Oh, the horror!

The staff were very helpful and courteous at all times. I even attempted to tip the guy who took our bags to the tour bus, but he refused to accept the tip, saying that he was getting good exercise (tipping was included in our tour price, but he had to climb some stairs, so I felt a few Euros was appropriate ... yet he, at least, went by the rules. My bad...).

The interior and exterior of the actual castle are not to be missed. It was not like any of the ancient castles we had visited in Bunratty or Blarney. It was more of an 18th century residence, resembling a castle. The interior was like walking through an old museum--but not old, cold, and stuffy. Old and extremely well done! The exterior was ... well like a castle--but with some beautiful red vines growing all the way up its walls. Absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, just thought I'd tell it like it really was. By the way, if you want to stay IN the castle--then tell them so ... up front. I expect you'll pay more, but your room will probably look just like the ones in the courtyard, anyway. And the courtyard rooms are actually the oldest buildings on the property, FYI. So we were perfectly happy.

Oh, one last thing. As were were eating in this elegant dining room in the castle, two little dogs we had seen earlier in the day came to pay the diners a visit. None of the staff seemed to take any notice. I had never seen this occur in an American establishment, so I was surprised. But it didn't really bug me. The dogs just came in, trotted around a bit (not begging for food, at all), then went to check out whatever else was going on that day, I suppose. It was cute.

mdfrodolives@gmail.com

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Newbridge, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed for a wedding. Wedding was great! Food was lovely. Rooms were very disappointing. We were in courtyard. Room was clean but not at all luxurious and not worth €150 per night. Was genuinely disappointed. Wouldnt recommend and wouldnt go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Altos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed in a courtyard room which was very small and very dark and in serious need of refurbishment. The room seemed dirty and shabby, and looked more like a cheap motel room. The castle itself looked very nice, but I didn't see the castle rooms, so cannot comment on those.

The internet was very expensive - 1 euro for 8 minutes - and extremely slow - a ripoff.

We had to walk through the rain outside to reach the castle where dinner and breakfast were served - very inconvenient. The dinner was very good, with excellent service. The breakfast service was very inefficient. Our group was supposed to get a hot breakfast before our transfer to the airport in Dublin. We only had 30 minutes to get breakfast, return to our rooms for our hand luggage, and to check out. There were a few dry cereals along with juice on a buffet, and the waitress didn't come out to take orders for a hot breakfast until it was too late for us to order a hot breakfast. We just had time to eat the cold cereal, juice, and coffee and then we had to leave.

• Stayed September 2009

Been to Cabra Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!