“Great location, Great Reception, Great Rooms!” 5 of 5 stars

Cabra Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Kingscourt | Co Cavan, Kingscourt, Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lockport, NY, USA
“Great location, Great Reception, Great Rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Cabra Castle is a wonderful piece of old world history and was the perfect location for my brothers wedding. The rooms are cozy and we had the opportunity to visit several that different family members stayed in.

The only problem is that our own room was in the courtyard and with the stone walls, we heard EVERYTHING through the ceiling to the room upstairs. It seems as if the stone walls trapped in and reflected the sound and we could clearly hear them talking and hear every word of the TV.

Other than that the grounds are wonderful as is the banquet room and the breakfast.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I've seen a few negative reviews about Cabra Castle, and I think some people are just too picky. We did not stay inside the castle proper, but, rather, in the courtyard. Yet, the courtyard had a neat atmosphere all on its own. Our rooms were on the top floor, as I was told that if you're on the bottom floor and have a few porkers staying above you, that the tromping might put you in a bad mood--long before breakfast.

Anyway, my adult daughter stayed in her own room, while my wife and I stayed in one nearby. Both rooms were on the top floor, and we all had a good night's rest. I would not say that the rooms were luxurious (spending hundreds on a suite is not within my budget), but they were well furnished with some neat antique pieces; very clean; and roomy.

If I had one gripe, it would be this: the mirror in the bathroom was not behind the sink. It was on the wall to my right. So shaving was a bit of a chore. I noticed this same oddity in my daughter's room. But I managed. Oh, the horror!

The staff were very helpful and courteous at all times. I even attempted to tip the guy who took our bags to the tour bus, but he refused to accept the tip, saying that he was getting good exercise (tipping was included in our tour price, but he had to climb some stairs, so I felt a few Euros was appropriate ... yet he, at least, went by the rules. My bad...).

The interior and exterior of the actual castle are not to be missed. It was not like any of the ancient castles we had visited in Bunratty or Blarney. It was more of an 18th century residence, resembling a castle. The interior was like walking through an old museum--but not old, cold, and stuffy. Old and extremely well done! The exterior was ... well like a castle--but with some beautiful red vines growing all the way up its walls. Absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, just thought I'd tell it like it really was. By the way, if you want to stay IN the castle--then tell them so ... up front. I expect you'll pay more, but your room will probably look just like the ones in the courtyard, anyway. And the courtyard rooms are actually the oldest buildings on the property, FYI. So we were perfectly happy.

Oh, one last thing. As were were eating in this elegant dining room in the castle, two little dogs we had seen earlier in the day came to pay the diners a visit. None of the staff seemed to take any notice. I had never seen this occur in an American establishment, so I was surprised. But it didn't really bug me. The dogs just came in, trotted around a bit (not begging for food, at all), then went to check out whatever else was going on that day, I suppose. It was cute.

mdfrodolives@gmail.com

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Newbridge, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed for a wedding. Wedding was great! Food was lovely. Rooms were very disappointing. We were in courtyard. Room was clean but not at all luxurious and not worth €150 per night. Was genuinely disappointed. Wouldnt recommend and wouldnt go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Altos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed in a courtyard room which was very small and very dark and in serious need of refurbishment. The room seemed dirty and shabby, and looked more like a cheap motel room. The castle itself looked very nice, but I didn't see the castle rooms, so cannot comment on those.

The internet was very expensive - 1 euro for 8 minutes - and extremely slow - a ripoff.

We had to walk through the rain outside to reach the castle where dinner and breakfast were served - very inconvenient. The dinner was very good, with excellent service. The breakfast service was very inefficient. Our group was supposed to get a hot breakfast before our transfer to the airport in Dublin. We only had 30 minutes to get breakfast, return to our rooms for our hand luggage, and to check out. There were a few dry cereals along with juice on a buffet, and the waitress didn't come out to take orders for a hot breakfast until it was too late for us to order a hot breakfast. We just had time to eat the cold cereal, juice, and coffee and then we had to leave.

• Stayed September 2009
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I stayed here as part of a wedding party last year and had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly and helpful, and really couldn't do enough for us. We had a beautiful meal the night before the wedding in the dining room, and I noticed that it was full of locals and non-residents (always a good sign). Breakfast in the dining room was good, but one minor quibble, the orange juice served is made from concentrate. I can't understand how a chef who produces such lovely food can send out "plastic" juice! The wedding meal was one of the best I've ever had, and the service was efficient. I liked the cosy atmosphere of the funtion room and that the staff genuinely wanted us to have a great time.

So far so good, but I can see how other reviewers had negative views of the hotel. The rooms in the castle itself are beautiful, as is the bridal suite, but some of the communal areas and other bedrooms were a little shabby and I feel were in need of an update. This castle has bags of potential but I think it needs to have some money spent on the decor to live up to its 4 star rating.

• Stayed September 2008
Roscommon, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I didn't enjoy this hotel, right from the beginning trying to make the reservation I had problems and the stay was not much better. I rang to make a reservation and was told in a very curt tone that they do not take reservations outside the hours of 9-5 and snapped when I asked was she sure. Anyway I booked online instead after that as we were attending a wedding and wanted to stay due to distance from our home. I arrived on the date in question and according to my reservation I booked a room in Cabra Castle. At no point in the reservation did it mention the lodges but when I said to reception I'd booked a room in the castle I was told no I hadn't and told to take our bags back to the car and drive around to the lodges. I was not impressed but did so all the same. The room was old, dark, in need of repair and not in keeping with the period in which the property hails! The bathroom had peeling wallpaper, the carpet was worn and shabby some of the furniture was broken, the bed was bowed in the middle due to "use", the lace hanging from the four posters was dirty and the rom was cold. The door also rattled. I again rang reception and explained my disappointment and they offered a room over the kitchen which I declined as she said they don't use it if they can help it so if that was a room they weren't willing to house guests in I can only imagine how much worse it was than the room we were in. We had to walk a short walk outside to get back into the castle but it was raining on the day and not an umbrella in site. The room for the wedding reception was too warm and although the food was ok it wasn't enjoyable because of the heat. It was a cold and wet day so I can only imagine what it's like if it;s warm outside. The following morning we got breakfast and that was very poor quality. I said I was disappointed with my stay at front desk but that fell on deaf ears so I just paid and left . I will never return again. The reception staff were rude and the rooms were not nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

The grounds are beautiful and the castle is quite an impressive site. Our room was large and spacious but we could hear every footstep of the people in the room above us.

It is worth seeing but its location is a bit isolated with respect to touring the sites.

We were there with a tour group that was leaving early in the morning but we had made our own arrangements to leave a little later. We were supposed to get breakfast as part of the package but all we got was what was left over after the group had left earlier. This left a bit of a negative impression.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cabra Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!