“Passing through- wifi awful” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stella Maris Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kilkee
Stella Maris Hotel
You added Stella Maris Hotel to your Saves list
O' Connell St., Kilkee, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kilkee
Limerick, Ireland
“Passing through- wifi awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Was passing through Kilkee for a business trip and went in for some lunch, I needed to use the wifi urgently as I am a business user and had a deadline to meet. The wifi in this hotel is truly one of the worst I have ever attempted to use (and I travel a lot) I asked a member of staff about it (a polish girl) and was informed wifi only works in reception area. So I had to eat out there instead of the bar. I can't stress how important Internet access should be in a hotel these days.

I could not get my work done here because of the wifi. Once I finished my lunch(which was very nice) I had to go across to hickeys b & b were I have to say the wifi was brilliant. Got my work done within 5mins.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
stellamarisKilkee, Manager at Stella Maris Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello Damien,
Firstly I would like to thank you for highlighting the fact that you enjoyed your lunch on your recent visit to our hotel. We strive to be as consistent as possible with our quality of food and service.
We are sorry though that you had a bad experience with the wifi. I agree with you on the importance of internet access in hotels these days.
Unfortunately we are very limited here in Kilkee as to our options with internet providers, at present there is no wired broadband coming to the town and as far as I am aware there are no plans for this in the immediate future. Therefore our only option is wireless broadband which is not as consisitent. Somedays it works great and somedays not so great, we are often frustrated by the lack of consistency ourselves. Unfortunately we have no control over it and it is for this reason we do not go out of our way to advertise the service and also why we offer it complimentary.
We feel that is unfair that our rating on trip advisor should suffer due to issues that are out of our control. I would like you to consider removing your review because of this.
Regards,
Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kilkee, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

met friends here for a lovely lunch
service very fast
food very nice
especially sandwiches which use Considine's Bread
staff very nice
lovely location views of Kilkee Bay are very good
sitting in the veranda has lovely views

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I had to write as I stayed in the room described by the previous entry. Yes, the floor is slightly wonky but it's an old building! If you want symmetrically pleasing lines, stay in a Premier Inn! The Owners are extremely pleasant and , the rooms are spotless with good showers and lots of hot water. The views are spectacular and easily viewed from this room. Or you can step outside and walk the bay and experience them first hand. No complaints from this happy couple!

Stayed April 2013
Trieste, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel seemed to be quite a pleasant place to stay in; sadly the good impression was only a fassade, being the room... crooked. The floor was uneven, and the bathroom's door could not be completely opened because it got stucked in the bathroom's floor. The promised seaview was a square / road view, with the sea being visible only by staying very close to one of the windows and looking westwards. Plus, there was a lot of noise coming from downstairs, and the nearby luminous signboards projected a light into the room that couldn't be shaded by any means.
Additionally, breakfast service was disappointing: it took 15+ minutes only to tell the waitress what we wanted for breakfast.
Definitely not a suggested place to go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
stellamarisKilkee, Manager at Stella Maris Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Giulia F,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. To address your issues -
1. The original hotel was built in 1880 and the room you stayed in is part of the original building. This is why the floor is uneven.
2. Many people are more than satisfied with the seaview in this room and enjoy looking out while sitting in the bay window, as our hotel is south facing and not directly facing the beach most of our rooms with a view are slightly side sea views rather than full facing views. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to change this.
3. As there was no music in the bar the night of your visit I hadn't anticipated a lot of noise when I allocated this room to you. Also the light that was shining in to your room must be from our new sign lights over the hotel entrance. I am very glad that you have brought this to our attention as we were unaware of this problem. I have since realised that black out curtains are the only answer to this and am in the process of ordering them.
4. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the breakfast service issue and spoken with the employee in question.
You might decide to return to our hotel someday, I hope your next visit will be a better experience.
We wish you the very best,
Kind regards,
Michelle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

As the title says-- we just ate here and it was hands down the best fish I've ever put in my mouth. Wish I could review the hotel as well someday!!

The service was perfect, everyone was so nice!! The breading on the fish was not overwhelming, and the tarter sauce was so homemade you'd have thought your grandma was cooking in the kitchen!

Stayed April 2013
stellamarisKilkee, Manager at Stella Maris Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Meghan E, I just wanted to say how happy and proud I was to read your review. I'm delighted you had such a good experience. We appreceiate you taking the time to tell people about it.
All the best, Michelle
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Visited for one night in September. The lady on reception could not have been more efficient or friendly. Got a beautiful room overlooking the bay. We were warned that the music from the bar might keep us awake. It was nice to warned and it wasnt a problem. Spotless modern room and great shower. Breakfast was first class (served by the same lovely lady that checked us in.) Will be back next year!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Rated as one of the best hotels and restaurants in Ireland - did not disappoint.

We THOROUGHLY enjoyed our visit and will go back.

The hosts/ owners are beyond gracious.

The history and setting...

But remember the food! We ate dinner in all 3 nights. The food is superb.

Yes - this is a splurge but one you will remember.

Note they are open only about 6 months of the year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Stella Maris Hotel? Share your experiences!