“"Friendly & welcoming on a cold winters day"” 5 of 5 stars

Bay View B&B
O'Connell Street, Kilkee, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Kilkee B&B and Inns
Tauranga, New Zealand
“"Friendly & welcoming on a cold winters day"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My partner and I were on holiday from Nz and we stayed in this B&B in November 2013.We had driven from Kilarney on what started out as a beautifully clear winters day but by the time we reached Kilkee the heavens had opened and the wind was howling. We were warmly welcomed by Mary and given the keys to our room, she asked us to switch on the heating in the room which we did and it was warm in no time. The room was lovely and the bed was the most comfortable bed of our trip,downstairs there were 2 bars,one smaller than the other but both equally inviting with their open fires.I had a lie down and my partner went for a guinness downstairs were he mixed with some friendly locals and guests.The B&B didn't serve evening meals but recommended a deli across the street that made pizza,my partner went over and spoke to the owner who promised to bring one over when he closed at 7pm and sure enough it arrived with a free helping of fries, the pizza was gorgeous we made the effort to call and thank the deli owner before we left in the morning.After a wonderful nights sleep we were served breakfast in a quaint dining room furnished with antique furniture.We were able to order our breakfast and have it freshly cooked for us ,the bacon and sausage etc were organic and sourced from the local butcher..Wonderful breakfast. When we left Kilkee the rain was still pouring down and the wind still howling but we drove the scenic route to the coast light house and took some photographs of the rugged west coast of Ireland absolutely stunning and the weather just added to the overall experience.Thanks Mary we had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Room with bay window is stunning.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kaye s,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us here at Bayview. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were treated to both the scenery and hospitality that Kilkee and its locals have to offer.
John Hickie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in this B&B on Saturday the 28th of December. The room was cold when we arrived and we were informed that the heating worked on a timer! It heated up by ten p.m. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room which is a big deal if you're an Irish or British guest - basically, we love our tea. When I visited the bar downstairs and requested a kettle for my room, I was told, "No. I'll make you tea." After waiting for the barman to serve several customers I was eventually given a pot of weak tea by a slightly irate barman who was greatly inconvenienced by my request seeing as he had real customers to serve.
I never knew that Hickey's - the bar attached to the Bay View B&B - ran a nightclub, but apparently they do. It ran until 01:45 and it was kina ironic listening to Avicii's, "Wake Me Up" blasting through the floorboards at 01:30 a.m. When I complained in the bar about the noise, I was told, "Your room is noisy because it's directly overhead the bar." I was so thrilled that the young lady had told me this as I was struggling to figure it out!
We were awoken at 07:00 the next morning by the landlady's grandson jumping up and down on the floor upstairs for ninety minutes. The light-fittings were shaking. I think that Santa might have brought someone a Spiderman costume for Christmas. After breakfast I asked Mrs. Hickey - the owner - a question. I said, "Do you think that perhaps it was appropriate to inform us that there was going to be a nightclub running until the early hours of the morning when we rang you to book the room?" She declined to reply. Why should she care about her guests when her packed bar aka country nightclub is making more money in five minutes than the €80, it cost us to stay?
Kudos to the eastern European lady who served us breakfast, she is polite, friendly and kind.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
jhick, Manager at Bay View B&B, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Blackbushandred,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. Sadly that is where my thanks will stop, I have no problem with a negative review as long as the review is based on honesty and truth. I am afraid your review is not a honest recap on your stay with us, firstly we do not run a nightclub. Hickies Bar is a traditional family run bar that offers LIVE MUSIC every Saturday night, live music which would mean musicians not a DJ. On the 28th of December we had a ONE MAN gig which finished at exactly 12.45 am not as you recall 1.45. The issue with the heating, yes our heating is on a timer now I am presuming that you were IN the room since check in and did not just return before 10pm, how come you did not report this to reception or the bar staff as we advise all our guests to do so if they find the room cold. We do not at the moment offer tea or coffee in the rooms but this will be available in the near future as we are aware a lot of guests do you like this service, any tea that we serve to guests or the public is made with Two Tea Bags but again if it is not to the customers liking we would not refuse another Tea Bag. The bar staff at Hickies Bar have been working for me at least 5 years and more and if they were used to being irate with customers over serving Tea I am sure I would have had more than one reference or complaint by now, so I don’t believe for a second that you were treated this way. Also I would question your assumption that the landlady has a grandson that likes Spiderman and jumps on beds at 7am in the morning when Mary doesn’t have a grandson. All in all I really do question your review, as I have said when we do get a negative review we do our utmost to seek out the problems and make sure they don’t reoccur. I would finally like to point out that we treat every customer with the same respect and service weather they spend €4 in our bar for a pint or €80 in our B&B.
Kind Regards,
John Hickie Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I, along with a few friends, spent 2 wonderful evenings with Ms. Hickie at the Bayview Bed and Breakfast. The service was second to none and we were made to feel like family! The accomodations are outstanding as are the views of the bay. Even off-season, Kilkee and the people there are warm and friendly. I would not hesitate for a moment to stay with the Hickies again. It was the best part of our stay in Ireland.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Allen L,
Thank you kindly for taking time to review us here at Bayview. I have to say a big thank you for your positive review, I am thrilled that you appreciated what we offer and hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.
Adelmannsfelden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed in this lovely Bed and Breakfast in August 2013 and it was a very pleasant stay. The owners and the hotel staff were all very friendly and did help with everything.
The breakfast was wonderful, there was a menue every day for the cooked meals and they prepared everything fresh after placing the order. And there was a cold buffet as well with cereals, fresh fruit, ham etc.

Our room was also very nice, equipped with all very relevant comfort and we were even able to see the sea and this was truly a sight to remember.

To put it into a nutshell: We definitely would recommend Bay View to a very good friend without hesitating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jhick, Owner at Bay View B&B, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Damon B,
Thank you for your positive review, I appreciate you taking the time out to write the review and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future maybe when we have a live gig in Hickie's.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at Bay View in October 2013 and we loved it! We drove in to Kilkee not really knowing what to expect and with no accommodation booked but be are glad we found this B&B. The room we stayed in was excellent. There was plenty of space for 2 people and it had ocean views from the window. Downstairs, the dining room is nice and also has views of the bay. Breakfast was really good with a selection of cereals, cold meats, fruit etc. and a hot breakfast available to order. The pub area is excellent with full bar facilities, I just wish we were there on a weekend so we could have seen some live music at the venue. Hopefully we will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Bay View out of season so there wasn't much going on in kilkee, but the host, Mary at Bay View made us feel very welcome, looked after us and served a fantastic breakfast in the morning! Lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Imo2909,
Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again in the future.
Antibes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

... most of all, the staff has been welcoming us with a warm and direct style.
It has been a great time which justifies to fly from the French Riviera directly to Kilkee !
Another point, there is a fantastic scenery on the cliffs very closed to this place.
A big big thanks to all the staff !
Xavier

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Javierch M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your positive review of Bayview, we really appreciate it. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again in the future.
John Hickie

Been to Bay View B&B? Share your experiences!