“Lovely hotel and beautiful grounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The K Club

You added The K Club to your Saves list
The K Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Straffan, Ireland (Formerly The Kildare Hotel, Spa & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Straffan
Scotland
“Lovely hotel and beautiful grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is lovely, classic and grand. Reception people were very helpful and did everything to make our stay perfect.
We had a Superior Room that was spotless and spacious, overlooking the gardens and the river. We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant the first night and at the golf club the second night, a shuttle bus takes you to the later. Both good but I personally preferred the choice at the hotel's restaurant. An impressive choice for breakfast with a cold buffet and cooked breakfast on order.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear BaronRed,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received our wonderful 5 star service throughout your stay! We do work very hard as a team to ensure that every aspect of The K Club offers the very best for our guests.

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to The K Club again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Staying 2 nights with a group of friends - celebrating birthdays and a wedding anniversary, we couldn't have had a more relaxing enjoyable time.

The building is very special and you really do feel you are stepping back in time - people have moaned that this isn't right and that needs updating - yes there were a few marks on some furniture and the curtains above the bed were a tad dusty but honestly if that is what you take away from here you really don't deserve to have visited.

It was serene and charming stately and weirdly homely all at once.
The staff are very lively lovely people - concierge and reception staff particularly good to us.

Our partners thoroughly enjoyed their golf and we enjoyed a bit of TLC
Enjoying a few drinks in the drawing room after walking the countryside and enjoying the spa - I couldn't have felt any more relaxed.

I hope to return someday until then - Well done to everyone working there & the owners for retaining traditional irish values of good food , friendship and comfort - and of course your special taste of historic charm!

• Stayed March 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here on business and the hotel is lovely, service faultless and the spa is nice and modern.
The bathroom was very tired and old fashioned (80's style bathroom suite).
It could do with a revamp.

• Stayed February 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 1pm as transfer from airport was quicker than expected. The drive up to the hotel is very green although as you arrive at the back (compared to all the photos you ever see) it didn't look quite as grand as we expected, although it didnt bother us! Our room was ready so we very impressed from the outset, a tone that stayed throughout our 2 night stay. Reception staff amongst the courteous we've ever come across and it was nice to see they were all irish (as opposed to eastern european....!) We were shown to our room although as it was by a work exp. student we didnt really get shown how to work anything, which actually did have a knock on as we were cold (with the extra blanket!) in the night.
The hotel was immaculate, with lovely relaxing music playing in public areas, typing this I want to be back there!!!
The room was spacious, light and airy and with a huge bathroom. The bath was the centrepiece and even had a rubber duck! It was also beautifully decorated too.
We dined at the River Room and the food was exceptional, Michelin star standard, with matching prices though, but in a hotel like this you've got to expect it! There was such a fusion of flavours with every dish, from beetroot ice-cream to champagne jelly, truly delicious.
We had a drink at Legends bar, a lovely picturesque setting at the end of the 18th hole on the Legends golf-course, i imagine on a sunny evening when the sun is out its gloriuos sitting on the balcony. We actually got a beautiful red sunset as we sat there, inside though! They couldve done with a cosy log fire in there if theres one thing I could suggest.
Leisure-wise there is such an expanse of green that you can walk on, but there isnt really a map for the ehole grounds, just the immediate vicinity of a few hundred square metres I'd say. Defo something that needs adding as the grounds (even in Winter are lovely) and so peaceful to wander through, but of a longer nature, alog buggy paths maybe, but as you dont know where they are....!! Spa-wise, very clean, quiet and chic. Pool a decent size, outdoor hottub perfect, just a shame me and the husband had to go in seperate sauna and steams in respective changing rooms!!!
All in all, lovely setting, perfect ambience and would defo recommend and we will one day return, in the Summer!

• Stayed February 2013
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have taken your comments on board. A map of the beautiful surroundings here is essential and something which we are sure to include in the future.

It is great to receive feedback like yours as it helps us to continually improve to offer our guests the ultimate 5 star experience. Here at The K Club we work very hard as a team to insure each guest has a memorable & enjoyable experience.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to The K Club again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed during Halloween half term with my husband and two children for two nights. Absolutely overwhelmed by the grounds as soon as we entered the gates from the main road. The hotel is beautiful and the interiors stay true to the style of the building. The staff were outstanding, polite and helpful. The hotel and room felt incredible tranquil and it was only at breakfast that we realised that the hotel must be near to full. We stayed on the bottom floor with the two children in the adjacent room. Each had a wonderful private terrace over looking one of the holes on the golf coarse (my husband most impressed). My husband and 13 year old son played a round on each of the golf courses and thought they were both fantastic and that the pro that they dealt with was very friendly and helpful. We dinned in the drawing room for lunch and one of the golf clubs for the first evening both lovely. On the second night myself and my husband had dinner in the main restaurant (included in the package) while the children had room service. My husband was very impressed with his meal but sadly I was not well and was unable to eat most of my main course. The restaurant staff wanted to take it off the bill but I explained that it was part of the package and anyway not their fault as I was feeling unwell (nothing to do with the food). They insisted on doing something to compensate and sent up some beautiful handmade chocolates to my childrens' room which they absolutely loved. I really felt this was a truly unnecessary but lovely gesture and so did my children! I cannot wait to return to the K club in the near future and know it shouldn't be too difficult to convince my husband and children.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of everybody here, for your very kind comments about your Halloween trip to The K Club. It makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at The K Club, it's highly appreciated by the team here.

I'm sorry to hear you were unwell, hopefully during future stays you can fully enjoy your meal in The River Room Restaurant but I am delighted your children enjoyed the handmade chocolates!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The K Club again.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived at the hotel early but within 15 mins were given the key to our room. A nice surprise. Our room was lovely especially the bathroom that was handpainted and lovely and warm. We ate in the Riverside room and really enjoyed our meal especially the lovely chocolates/ice pops served with our tea. We also ate in the bar at the Smurfit clubhouse and once again thoroughly enjoyed our very tasty meal. Breakfast was great and overall we found the service in the hotel very good especially Stephen who served us afternoon tea. Spa was also good - lovely pool and outside hot tub - just what the doctor ordered! We also enjoyed a nice walk round the grounds and golf course. Would highly recommend the hotel. We visited the Carton Hotel on our way home but much preferred the K Club.

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Dawn267,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The K Club on Trip Advisor. I am especially delighted to hear that you were happy with the service as we work very hard as a team here at The K Club to provide a 5 star service to all our guests.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The K Club again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We enjoyed two days at The K Club recently - it was bought on a "deal" - its an expensive place to stay if one had to pay the full price. We were made to feel really welcome by the front of house staff - shown to our room where everything was explained i.e. the workings..how to turn the heating up/down, how to work the TV..all the nice little touches - nothing was too much trouble for them. The temperature in the bedroom was way too high but the controls sorted that out.

We decided to eat at the golf club which is a short walk in the grounds of the hotel - boy was it hot in there - we sat as far away from the fire as possible but the heat was a killer. I ordered steak "medium rare" - it came from the kitcheh "rare" - my husbands meal was very nice. I could have sent my steak back but the thought of waiting in the heat for the steak to be cooked properly was something I did not even consider..the onion rings were not cooked either. So a bit disappointing.

Breakfast was only fair on the first morning, coffee was luke warm and the service not great. However on the second morning everything was first class as one would expect it to be.

Although I have given a few downsides to our stay I would love a return visit - and will watch out for another "deal" - its such an elegant place to stay, beds so comfortable and wide (7ft), every comfort is there to enjoy. I would say "go for it" - we will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheKClub, General Manager at The K Club, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear IrelandBobo,

Many thanks for your review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience & feedback with us. We are delighted to hear that in general you really enjoyed your stay with us at The K Club, but disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your dinner & Breakfast.

I have passed your comments on to the team here in the hotel to ensure that we can improve on our service and product offering.

Hopefully I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The K Club again.

Audrey Brophy

Been to The K Club? Share your experiences!