“A True Castle” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“A True Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We Stayed here again as we love staying here. the rooms are so luxurious a four poster bed the bathrooms have a bidet and the units are designed with floral designs the toilet is old school and so nice to see. works perfectly. The bed is nice and firm and no duvet but but this hotel is old school and uses no packaging either it gives you bottled water on arrival in its own bottles for breakfast there is no packaging either. They turn down your bed and its these little touches that make barbers town castle a place we return to time after time. we stayed in room 33. The only only thing i can say negative is there is no disabled parking. The food is to die for. The chef has been there for over 12 years and really cares about his food.

Room Tip: I like the rome in the new side of the building. Room 33 is beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Very very disappointing - might be about okay for weddings but could not recommend for anything else.

Arrived on a very chilly March day for a Birthday treat. Nice greeting at reception and shown to our suite by a nice chap. Dropped our bags and decided to go for an early drink about 4.30 as we were booked for dinner at 7.30.

Unfortunately we were informed that the hotel bar doesn't open until 6.00 !! So we sat in the lounge area by the fire and were told we could have a drink there. We ordered champagne and beer at a coffee table next to the log fire - very nice as very cold outside. We asked if we could order a snack also, but were again informed that we couldn't eat food at this low table but would have to sit at one of the high tables if we wanted "food" - astonishing. We decided not to bother with the "food" if it meant moving. We returned to our room to shower and change for my birthday dinner. We were met by a wall of cold in our suite - one heater switched off and one barely warm. Rang reception and waited for someone to come and sort out the heating. He obviously felt how cold it was because about ten minutes later he returned with a stand alone electric heater to plug in.

About 10 minutes later this was followed by a man in a suit - not sure who he was - maybe a manager - but he didn't bother to introduce himself! knocked and came in to say " unfortunately the problem is that guests who vacate the rooms earlier in the day have turned down the heating " when I asked him why they didn't check the heating before guests arrived he said "yes - I can move you to another room if you like" - we declined as I thought the room would not take long to heat up. However by the time we left for dinner it was still cold !

We went to the bar ordered a drink and before too long we were taken to our table. Our table was one of four placed in what appeared to be a little hallway at the end of the stairs !! just outside the dining room. See photo !

We enjoyed our starters. We then waited a long wait - apologised to twice by various staff - for our main course to arrive. When it arrived, again with an apology for the delay, one dish arrived with a heat ring around the sauce from sitting under the Pass in the kitchen and the other dish was just warm.
The server didn't rush from the table so I think they were expecting some kind of reaction to our food as they hovered in the area of the table until we tasted our food. My partner called the server over and explained the steak was only warm - not hot - I tasted it also and was amazed that they felt this was good enough to serve. The server asked " what would you like to do - will I take it back for you" ? We asked what they suggested they do and the reply was " I can take it back and reheat it"!!!! Now it was time to knock me off the chair with a feather ! We suggested the server ask the chef what he/she would suggest - off they went and came back to take the plate and inform us that they would bring a fresh steak from the kitchen - hurrah ! At this stage I was finished my main course when the fresh steak arrived.

The steak was perfect and very tasty.
Dessert was lovely and we finished the evening in the bar with a nightcap listening to a couple of local musicians who were thoroughly excellent.

On checking out the following morning the receptionist asked if we enjoyed our stay and I told her it was only OK. I explained that it was a birthday gift and I was very very disappointed - she was lovely and really empathic - and understood the significance of the birthday gift. She said she had been told to reduce our bill by €30 Euro because of the heating!!!

I told her I felt the hotel was probably best suited to weddings and explained our whole experience. Again - she was lovely. I informed her that I would be writing a review for Tripadvisor. She asked me to not write a review until I received a call based on my comments.

One thing I find difficult to understand is why they were happy to leave us walk out without getting the manager to talk to us !!! I find that hard to believe.

However - four weeks have passed and still no call!!

Customer care and repeat business are obviously not their focus as if they were someone would have attempted to speak to us or would have phoned us - I saw the receptionist log the feedback we provided into the system - but nobody cared enough to call us !!

That sums up customer service for this hotel. Since having this experience and talking with friends and colleagues it appears this hotel is known as a hit and miss.

My advice - give it a miss

Room Tip: Pick another room in another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for our honeymoon right before Christmas. The staff was really incredible, kind & accommodating. The bedroom was very comfortable, the food was great, and it was so fun to take a walk around the grounds. But overall the service really spoke for itself, we'd love to come back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Had a nice stay attending a wedding in November but it's the little things that leg it down. No tea making facilities in the room. Last breakfast is too early. It was the first wedding I've felt cold at. Breakfast felt very rushed. Room was lovely but had to close curtains as it was beside reception and everyone walking into the hotel had a view straight into my room. More like a b&b than a hotel, staff pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We fell in love with Barberstown on on our first 2 night visit (there'll be more) this Valentines weekend. I'm baffled with the poor reviews, we were seated at dinner both nights at the time we wanted, same with breakfast, head waiter, maitre'd and all staff quintessentially professional, four poster bed, incredibly romantic setting, first class fine dining (fabulous little amuse bouche), complementary choc and champagne in our room.....what's not to like! Yes, it's expensive but we got all we paid for and more!! In a word, exquisite

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding and found it very good.The wedding was seperate from the main hotel both for function and breakfast the next morning.
The bedrooms were large and very comfortable. Food both at function and breakfast very good.
Staff very accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed one night - valentines night
Booked table for 9.30pm ; on arrivals was offered table at 8.30pm in yellow room / booking verified
On arrival to dinning room was ushered to bar and waited one full hour for table
Complaint was poorly received on evening although one hour late on seating us manager said wine ( 1 bottle) on them ( even that poorly executed whilst not sought by us- we just tired and hungry at that point);appalling attitude again next day when checking out when hotel interaction was akin to a grand inquisition ! No sense of our discomfort as customers as they tried to pin us down repeatedly on who said what where when!
To add insult to injury they hadn't taken wine off bill and that took more time out of our scarce time away

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!