“Poor Food” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: At Sargasso we only source the best quality local produce from local farms and butchers in our surrounding area and fresh seafood from the pier in Killybegs.Head Chef Martin Hernandez cooks everything from scratch in house from stocks for sauces to our fresh breads and delicious desserts.
Wexford, Wexford, Ireland
“Poor Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We visited the restaurant for an evening meal and decided we would try the €17 Early Bird Specials. The lighting where we were sitting was very poor which made the menu difficult to read. There was a good selection on the menu to choose from. I obted for the mushroom soup as a starter and the beef stroganoff for the mains.
The soup was like something you would get from a tin. Nothing special there then
The beef stroganoff was very poor. It was presented in a shallow dish, the sauce tasted very bland. The mushrooms (90 % of dish) were diced into small cubes, the beef (10 % of dish) was diced smaller, and was mainly made up of the fatty part of the meat. It was served with a seperate small bowl of boiled rice, which i didnt order. I had asked for mashed potatoes.
How did it taste ?? It tasted of "Never coming here again" . It reminded me of one of those ready made meals you buy in a jar (and a cheap one at that)
When it was time to pay, I was informed that there was a €4 extra surcharge for the beef. WTF??
I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have travelled all over Ireland and this is the worst restaurant I have had the misfortune to eat in.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Ballybofey, Ireland
“Lovely Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had heard a few great reviews from friends about this new restaurant prior to our visit and I must say my wife and I enjoyed a lovely night there recently, superb food and pleasant staff in a nice cozy, relaxed atmosphere, Would recommend it without hesitation, to anyone wanting a decent meal in Letterkenny with great value for the quality of food served and we will certainly be returning

• Visited November 2012
Ballina, Ireland
“Top Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Celebrated my recent graduation from LYIT in this beautiful restaurant, my family travelled up for the occasion, I was so proud of my academic achievement and in my choice of venue, The food was delicious and service was brilliant, Even the little details like our menus scrolled and tied in gold like our college scroll, added to the occasion. All of my family were very impressed and really enjoyed the evening. If you're in Letterkenny please treat yourself to a meal at Sargasso

• Visited October 2012
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Good service but overall the food was a let down ,myself and my partner had excellent starters but the main left a lot to be desired as my girlfriends duck was cremated and very chewy ,sent it back and again received over cooked duck . We will give it another go as the owner operator was very professional and made us feel very welcome .

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
donegal
“Fantastic Food & Friendly Athmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have dined on a number of occasions at Sargasso and really love the food creation from first principles. For far too long restaurants have gotten away with bland mass produced food with "bought in" starters & desserts- Not so with Sargasso which offers the unmistakable fantastic taste of Irish Food cooked fresh to order. With a lovely range of starters mains & desserts with a dedication to locally sourced ingredients all cooked to order and complemented with a really decent but very affordable wine list Sargasso raises the bar when it comes to having a nice meal out in Letterkenny in the ambience of the warm friendly athmosphere. Try it and you will love it and return again & again! Gus O Driscoll Kilmacrennan.

• Visited October 2012