“Birthday Treat here was wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ramelton Road R245 | Ballymaleel, Letterkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Letterkenny
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derry, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat here was wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband took me here on 19th December for my birthday. We had not eaten here in a few years. It was simply wonderful the food was absolutely delicious and such good value. We had a delicious goats cheese salad starter followed by a gorgeous sorbet then turkey and ham simply divine and loads of it and a chocolate parfait for dessert gorgeous. We also had delicious homemade breads, a chefs appetiser and lovely tea and mince pies to finish all in all brillant. I would highly recommend and cannot wait to return. I was even serenaded by one of the waiters when told of my birthday. What a perfect birthday thank you to all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Eirene S, Manager at Castle Grove Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and of course I am thrilled our team was able to make you felt so special and welcome on your birthday.
I will be sure to let the chefs know how much you enjoyed the meal , we do work effortlessly to maintain high standards in the restaurant and throughout the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Irene Sweeney
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We visited this country house hotel and restaurant in mid-December for my wife's birthday. The last time that we visited was around 2 years ago. The restaurant has certainly maintained its very high standards with regards to the quality food, ambience and service. We were not disappointed. We chose from the four-course festive menu and every course was extremely tasty with so much attention to detail. All in all, a great dining experience, not to mention the competitively priced menu which represented real value for money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Eirene S, Manager at Castle Grove Country House Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
Hi Charlotte,
Happy New Year, hope 2015 will be kind to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We, as a team, are thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much, it's hard to top "best hotel stay ever" but we will continue to maintain and improve our services and always remain humble in doing so.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I had fhe great pleasure of celebrating my wedding here on December 14th. From the mulled wine reception to the elegant christmas decor and open fires it was truely a dream winter wonderland themed wedding. Staff were extremely attentive to detail and made all my guests feel very welcome and well looked after.
Food was exceptional and all my guests said it was the best wedding food they ever had. We went for fillet steak and hake. Little extra touches like the sorbet after the started all added to the meal experience.
As the whole hotel is exclusively hired out when you book your wedding, it feels like "your" house for the day/night. All our guests also commented on this saying they felt so relaxed throughout the day as there was such a homely feel throughout in our intimate venue.
We had a guest list of 95 people and the function room was full with a great atmosphere as no table was too far away from the main one. The acoustics for the band and Dj are excellent and the dancefloor always seems packed compared to a larger venue with the same guest numbers. This all adds to the buzz. Some of our non dancing guests were still able to soak up the atmosphere from the adjoining bar or drawing room so you felt the whole group always stayed together.
I can highly recommend Castle Grove Hotel as a top class intimate wedding venue for it's attention to detail, superb Michelin Recommend restaurant food, fantastic acoustics and above all it's warm, friendly and relaxed feel. 10/10!!

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We booked for a christening on a Saturday for 22 people and also booked 5 rooms that night.
The four course meal was simply gorgeous, they take their food serious here. My partner is a hard to please chef and he was delighted. All the guests had a great day. The wine was lovely and reasonable, we had a lot! The chef even baked a cake. The grounds are unspoiled and well kept. There is a Victorian old world charm to this place. It made the day feel very special and I would highly recommend, lovely staff ect.
I can find no fault with our wonderful visit.

Stayed December 2012
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We got a warm welcome, slept in lovely bedrooms, relaxed in front of big open fires in comfortable sitting rooms and enjoyed beautiful food.

The house is a genuine country manor in a beautiful setting close to Letterkenny. The decor and furnishings are lovely.

This really is a hidden gem and we look forward to returning.

This is the best of Irish hospitality, warm, unobtrusive and totally professional.

Excellent in every way.

We will certainly return.

Is there anything else you could want?

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed with my two children (one of whom is a very lively 9 year old boy) for two night during the October Half term holidays. What can I say? The hotel is beautiful. It feels like Downton Abbey, but the staff are so friendly and approachable, you feel at home straight away. The rooms are so comfortable, and elegant and the public areas are stunning with open wood fires and huge chanderliers.

The restaurant was closed when we were there, but I am reliable informed that is it very good indeed. If the breakfasts are anything to go by I have no difficulty believing that. I hope I will get the opportunity to visit again and eat dinner.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We recently stayed at Castle Grove Manor House Hotel and found it delightful. The owner and her staff exhibit the utmost in hospitality. We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel and were delighted with our meal. Our room was comfortable and charming, with a canopied bed and wonderful antiques. Mary, the owner, couldn't have been more generous with answering our questions and providing helpful tips for that area of Ireland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Grove Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!